Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Jul 7, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #872 of 1,388
May I use 6sn7 tubes in a H7 via adapter as a driver tube without damaging the amp and not modifying it? Will I need a socket saver to be able to insert the tubes or just the adapter is fine?
I'm thinking in some adapter like this:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGX0T8R
Just need the adapter, socket saver is optional. Expect the H7 would be fine with a 6SN7 driver - believe the H7/H5 (6SN7) share the same transformer. If there's any issue you could contact Eufonika factory support.

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #873 of 1,388
Thanks a lot for your answer, I have a few spare 6sn7's I'd like to try , but I want to be sure first I won't damage the amp. What data do i have to look for in both tubes datasheet (original 6n1p and 6sn7). Does the adapter take care of the different voltage, I'm rather new to tubes and it's all a bit complicated without the appropriate knowledge.

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #874 of 1,388
You want to know the heater voltage and current.

Fortunately, as per the datasheets, 6N1P and 6SN7 both use 6.3V 600mA heaters. The adapter doesn't change that - it only needs to adapt the pinout.

6SN7 has a μ (amplification factor) of 20. 6N1P μ is 32. 6SN7 has a little less gain, couple dB in actual use - just crank the volume a tad more.

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #875 of 1,388
So, if I understood correctly, is perfectly safe to use them via adapter without fearing of breaking something in the amp itself, great news! I know have a few more options to change the sound without having to spend a pennie in new tubes,just the cost of the adapter. Any recommendations on adapters or the one I linked is fine?
And, should I expect a warmer or brighter sound by using 6sn7 instead or 6n1p? I guess warmer,but you sure know already. Being bigger,I guess there's more room for a beefier sound,but I could be perfectly wrong, forgive my utter ignorance in the subject.
Thanks again.

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #876 of 1,388
That adapter will be fine for initial experiments.

Generally... which is a big generalization... most 6SN7s have a more relaxed, warmer presentation than most miniature tubes.

I want to say that the 6SN7 with bigger glass, bigger plates allows the use of bigger, beefier electrons.... :joy:

However, since most electrons are really, really small - even when zillions of them swarm in big electron clouds - are too small to see. We have to rely on the mere electrical characteristics. The big thing about the 6SN7 family is the variety of makers and the longevity of production.

That said, to my jaded ears, the older American 6SN7W/VT-231 and 6SN7WGT offer the best of 6SN7 sonics. As do the 1950s Melz 1578 and 6N8S. Even the 50s-early 60s of 6SN7GTBs are more listenable than most of the current production 6SN7s, for me.

The fun of tube rolling is hearing differences - sometimes better, sometimes not - sometimes just different.

You know what you like - I do not - only know what I enjoy. Suggest collecting a few different vintage 6SN7s and begin your own tube rolling journey.

Jul 17, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #879 of 1,388
It sure is and thanks!!!!!
He told me there was good news and bad. He wouldn’t tell me the bad until the next day (and it was every time he makes an amp, and then sends it off, he can’t listen to music until he builds another one…….). What a bugger!!! I laughed but only afterwards haha. He just have a dry sense of humor……anyway, post impressions once you receive, as o will too.
Well, I received the amp, now called the H33M, on Friday. I had some problems with my line voltage tripping the protection circuit and have been using a Variac to drop the voltage so I can give it a listen. The dynamics are incredible compared to anything else I have right now. It can peak hard in ways that would clip on my other amps, but it never does. Just crystal clear and smooth. Especially on vocals. The separation is improved a lot in a way where sounds layer a lot more dynamically. Background details really jump out a lot more. Harmonics on instruments are present like I haven't heard on any of my equipment. Like, the decay at the end of notes is very clear. This is my first all tube amp, so I'm kind of honeymooning, but it is a big improvement.
Unfortunately there's the voltage problem. I'm waiting to hear back on his suggestion. If running the voltage so low(102v) is ok, then I have an autotransformer I'm going to pick up to use. The Variac introduces a lot of hiss. I'll give another update when I have more time with it and sort out the issues. There is a picture of it on his Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuUJLmaMFBO/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #881 of 1,388
What does the protection circuit trip on? I mean it should be rated for 230V as well, right? Too much DC on your line?
well, 110v, USA. Actual voltage is 120. I think it is DC on line and dropping the voltage is bringing it below threshold. I'm in an apartment building. Depending on what he thinks, I'll either get an isolation transformer or the step down autoformer.

Jul 17, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #882 of 1,388
Well, I received the amp, now called the H33M, on Friday. I had some problems with my line voltage tripping the protection circuit and have been using a Variac to drop the voltage so I can give it a listen. The dynamics are incredible compared to anything else I have right now. It can peak hard in ways that would clip on my other amps, but it never does. Just crystal clear and smooth. Especially on vocals. The separation is improved a lot in a way where sounds layer a lot more dynamically. Background details really jump out a lot more. Harmonics on instruments are present like I haven't heard on any of my equipment. Like, the decay at the end of notes is very clear. This is my first all tube amp, so I'm kind of honeymooning, but it is a big improvement.
Unfortunately there's the voltage problem. I'm waiting to hear back on his suggestion. If running the voltage so low(102v) is ok, then I have an autotransformer I'm going to pick up to use. The Variac introduces a lot of hiss. I'll give another update when I have more time with it and sort out the issues. There is a picture of it on his Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuUJLmaMFBO/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Bugger about the voltage tripping - hope you get that sorted asap!
And wow - sounds amazing!!!!!!!! I couldn't get link for pic to work but it worked on phone - is that yours with 8 tubes?????????? That is a MEAN looking amp!!!!!
What power output does the H##M have?
Mine was sent from Warsaw on 4/7 so it can't be too far away!!!!

Jul 17, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #883 of 1,388
Bugger about the voltage tripping - hope you get that sorted asap!
And wow - sounds amazing!!!!!!!! I couldn't get link for pic to work but it worked on phone - is that yours with 8 tubes?????????? That is a MEAN looking amp!!!!!
What power output does the H##M have?
Mine was sent from Warsaw on 4/7 so it can't be too far away!!!!
Yeah, that's the one. He designed it with 6, but said it didn't meet his expectations and redesigned it.
He never gave me the exact output, but it's pushing my 600 ohm cans pretty good. He's pretty close to the chest with specs, but hopefully I can talk more with him.

Jul 17, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #884 of 1,388
Yeah, that's the one. He designed it with 6, but said it didn't meet his expectations and redesigned it.
He never gave me the exact output, but it's pushing my 600 ohm cans pretty good. He's pretty close to the chest with specs, but hopefully I can talk more with him.
Nice!

He didn't tell me either when I asked. He did tell me that what he has sent IS NOT THE FINAL PRODUCT.....He asked me to listen for 3-6 months then send back the prototype and he would build the final one. He said he will get me to concentrate on a few thinks. His email verbatim was
"Hi Andrew
Again, this is not your target amp. This is a prototype on the basis of which we will build your target amplifier together. Later, I will write you what interests me and what I would like you to pay attention to. Pay attention because it's very important!"
All the best
Wieslaw

I'm in for a bumpy ride haha!!!!

Jul 17, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #885 of 1,388
That's exciting! I would really love doing that if I lived near him. Though, honestly, I think my amp got here to the states in less time than yours. I hear European vats and customs are a pain.
I went ahead and ordered an isolation transformer to clean up the power and I'll go from there. I wanted to do that anyway so all the transformers don't work so hard. Weislaw is thinking on it still. I hope it's just DC on the line or something simple to solve. I'd hate to have to send it back for a redesign, but it would be nice to be able to have a more tolerant power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back