Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Mar 25, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #376 of 1,388
I paid 169 EUR for the upgrade. Sent the amp Monday and since Wednesday it's sitting in a warehouse waiting to be picked up. Wieslaw is slow to respond to my emails but it's not the first time. Playing the waiting game

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #377 of 1,388
I’ve just ordered a Eufonika model H5 + Miflex KPCU for my HD600. Quick question, what DAC could be a great pairing for the H5? I got a Bluesound Node (latest version), but thinking of adding a better external DAC.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #378 of 1,388
You mentioned in another thread that Mojo2 is incoming, you could try that one first. Oddly I didn't find any reference to the standalone DAC function, but Mojo1 had that capability, so I assume Mojo2 has it as well.

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #379 of 1,388
…you could try that one first.

I actually returned the Mojo 2. Tried it for a while but it wasn’t for me. So I will need a external DAC with the Node.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #380 of 1,388
Do you have a budget? Bifrost2, Zen DAC, and Hip DAC were your previous DACs, right? Any of these you favoured over the rest, and why? Might make it easier to suggest something with a little more background info.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #384 of 1,388
Can anyone comment on which is warmer, the Bottlehead Crack or Eufonika H5? Or even a comparison between the Little Dot amps and the H5? I have a good understanding of what the MKII and MKIV sound like with the Sennheiser 6XX's so measuring against those, I think I'll better understand what the H5 sounds like before purchasing.

I'm leaning towards the warmer/tubier one between the two of them.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #385 of 1,388
Do you have a budget? Bifrost2, Zen DAC, and Hip DAC were your previous DACs, right? Any of these you favoured over the rest, and why? Might make it easier to suggest something with a little more background info.

Budget around 800EUR new or used (cheaper if possible). I’ve had many DAC:s, but I haven’t heard anything in combination with HD-600 and a Eufonika amp, therefore my question. I wouldn’t rate the IFI DAC:s higher than the one built into the Node (but only from memory).

Anyone tried Chords Qutest or Denfrips Ares II for example? I seem to prefer multibit or R-2R DAC:s with a SS-amp, but Chords FPGA technology and a OTL amp is maybe a match made in heaven?

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #386 of 1,388
Anyone tried Chords Qutest or Denfrips Ares II for example? I seem to prefer multibit or R-2R DAC:s with a SS-amp, but Chords FPGA technology and a OTL amp is maybe a match made in heaven?
I'm using the mojo, modi multibit 2 and denafrips ares II with H5 and hd6xx. With stock tubes, i like the mojo - clean, sharp, detailed and good mix of low end and upper end sparkle. With Sylvania 6sn7 GT bottom chrome or vt231 with Mullard 6080, the mojo sounds a bit too solid state like (all yr low end oomph with sparly detail and slightly mid forward). If using a Tungsol 6080 nos, the sound is even more SS like, where Mojo tends to bring all the details out and low end is punchier, but i find it less organic. Good pairing for electronic, RNB, double bass jazz, pop, recently recorded genres. Swap mojo out with a mimby, the details are pushed back while still being there but the attack is softer, a bit mellowed, more musical. With the Sylvania brown base, chrome top, the sound is much airier, with wide staging and holography. Like this pairing for general long listening sessions, works well with most genres. Swap out the Sylvania with a Kenrad Black glass, you get big bass and slightly forward mids, with sufficient detail. I find it to be good pairing for rock electronic, hipp hop and bass heavy genres.

For classical, jazz, trio n ensembles or ambient (music req. big wide deep soundstage), i find the pairing with ares2, Sylvania 6sn7 brown base and Thompson quite sublime - the Sylvania and Thomson CSF really bring out the air qualities, staging. With the ares2, there is even more micro detail, better imaging, wider soundstage and the right amount of musicality. In general with dacs, i find SS amp pairing with DS dacs including FGPA like mojo fairly good for edm, electronic, low fi. The R2Rs paired with SS amp sound musical for vocals, jazz, acoustic, soft rock, ambient, instrumental genres. Bit you still don't get that holographic imaging. R2Rs tend to be more musical (less digital artifacts with faster attack) and here denafrips ares2 really takes the top spot for me.

So a dac by itself will only play one part, alot will depend on the tube pairings and genres u listen to. Also do keep in mind that HD600 is a bit treble hot and relatively less roomy or bassy compared to Hd6xx, so u wud be better off with an r2r dac (tames the upper treble a bit). one can only expect some increase in holography and soundstage given the hd6__ series isn't too wide to begin with. But throw in a hd8 series or a Zmf Verite with an Ares2 and tubes with sound signature u like for that genre, and uv got musical bliss!!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #387 of 1,388
I'm using the mojo, modi multibit 2 and denafrips ares II with H5 and hd6xx. With stock tubes, i like the mojo - clean, sharp, detailed and good mix of low end and upper end sparkle. With Sylvania 6sn7 GT bottom chrome or vt231 with Mullard 6080, the mojo sounds a bit too solid state like (all yr low end oomph with sparly detail and slightly mid forward). If using a Tungsol 6080 nos, the sound is even more SS like, where Mojo tends to bring all the details out and low end is punchier, but i find it less organic. Good pairing for electronic, RNB, double bass jazz, pop, recently recorded genres. Swap mojo out with a mimby, the details are pushed back while still being there but the attack is softer, a bit mellowed, more musical. With the Sylvania brown base, chrome top, the sound is much airier, with wide staging and holography. Like this pairing for general long listening sessions, works well with most genres. Swap out the Sylvania with a Kenrad Black glass, you get big bass and slightly forward mids, with sufficient detail. I find it to be good pairing for rock electronic, hipp hop and bass heavy genres.

For classical, jazz, trio n ensembles or ambient (music req. big wide deep soundstage), i find the pairing with ares2, Sylvania 6sn7 brown base and Thompson quite sublime - the Sylvania and Thomson CSF really bring out the air qualities, staging. With the ares2, there is even more micro detail, better imaging, wider soundstage and the right amount of musicality. In general with dacs, i find SS amp pairing with DS dacs including FGPA like mojo fairly good for edm, electronic, low fi. The R2Rs paired with SS amp sound musical for vocals, jazz, acoustic, soft rock, ambient, instrumental genres. Bit you still don't get that holographic imaging. R2Rs tend to be more musical (less digital artifacts with faster attack) and here denafrips ares2 really takes the top spot for me.

So a dac by itself will only play one part, alot will depend on the tube pairings and genres u listen to. Also do keep in mind that HD600 is a bit treble hot and relatively less roomy or bassy compared to Hd6xx, so u wud be better off with an r2r dac (tames the upper treble a bit). one can only expect some increase in holography and soundstage given the hd6__ series isn't too wide to begin with. But throw in a hd8 series or a Zmf Verite with an Ares2 and tubes with sound signature u like for that genre, and uv got musical bliss!!
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I have now bought a Denafrips Ares II. I’ve had the 2Quite and and Mojo 2 before and they sounded fine but a bit to much in your face to my taste. I just want to relax and enjoy the music.

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #388 of 1,388
Sorry I haven't heard the latter but all I can say from having owned the H7 with HD580 and HD650, and still owning the H5M, is I stopped trying different amps once I got them (well I only wanted to go up the upgrade path within Eufonika hence the change to H5M). I did have the LD 3, 4 and 4SE before these and sold them as soon as I got the H7.
How would you compare the Little Dot lineup against the H5M? I've heard the IVSE before and rolled tubes with it, curious what you think their differences are and which is the warmer of the two.

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #389 of 1,388
How would you compare the Little Dot lineup against the H5M? I've heard the IVSE before and rolled tubes with it, curious what you think their differences are and which is the warmer of the two.
I'd say Eufonika are generally warmer sounding but that could have partly been a function of the "upgraded" valves I used in my LDs which gave them a very clean clear sound. Overall I found Eufonika more natural and unforced hence my switch away from LD which I was very happy with as a brand until I found Eufonika.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back