Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Jan 19, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #707 of 1,388
Anyone have tube rolling recommendation for the M5 Miflex on top of the tubes I have (listed below) that won't break the bank in 2023?

I am currently rolling:

Winged "C" 6AS7G

Tung-Sol 6SN76GTB (my default)
PSVANE 6SN7 Tennis Ball
PSVANE 6SN7 UK Black Plates

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #708 of 1,388
Anyone have tube rolling recommendation for the M5 Miflex on top of the tubes I have (listed below) that won't break the bank in 2023?

I am currently rolling:

Winged "C" 6AS7G

PSVANE 6SN7 Tennis Ball
You could try an RCA 6AS7G or if you can find a 6080 Chatham/Tung-Sol for power and some RCA VT-231 6SN7GT or Sylvania 6SN7WGTA for drivers. These won't break the bank and surely improve on what you already have.

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #709 of 1,388

I am currently rolling:

Winged "C" 6AS7G

PSVANE 6SN7 Tennis Ball
I have same amp + same output tube and same TS input tube - did some rolling and unfortunately, if you are going to stay within the 6SN7 type family, unsure what you would consider "breaking the bank", but imo, anything that sounds noticeably better within 6SN7/6F8G/6C8G is typically not cheap, and or, difficult to find quality NIB/NOS conditioned tubes. Ofc, this is just my opinion.

However, I am willing to do something for you, "paying it forward" I suppose, as when I was new to tube rolling and what not (which was not that long ago), someone on this forum took a whole lot of their own time to cut my learning curve substantially, which I will forever appreciate, as it has allowed me to get to lifetime stock of a several different tube types which you can find in NIB/NOS condition for a whole lot cheaper.

I know the adapters are the expensive bit, and also most of the NIB/NOS tubes which I would recommend, ship from overseas, so even with the cheaper retail price, once you add shipping + cost of adapter along with only two tubes, it still works out to quite a bit of money on something you are unsure you will like.

Because I see you live in NY, and I am in OH, I would be willing to send you 1x EBC33/VR55/CV1055 -> 6SN7 adapter + 2x NIB/NOS Mullard CV1055 that Langrex sells + 2x NOS/milspec Rogers VR55 tubes (which you can still find). Tubes have different constructions - they sound similar, slight differences between them, but both imo have great SQ (favoring the Mullards a bit). Playing them with winged c 6AS7G now and they sound wonderful. Actually, the winged c 6AS7G is one of my favorite outputs with my M5 + Miflex.

And who knows, maybe you like them enough you go pick yourself up a decent supply of true mint conditioned, NIB/NOS tubes at prices that definitely are not breaking the bank.

Send me a DM if you're interested.

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #710 of 1,388
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to HiFi and have now picked up a Meze 109 Pro, a Musician Pegasus DAC and a Topping A90 discrete amp. I am very happy with the sound, but I would like to get an additional tube amp to judge for myself whether I like tube amps or solid state amps better. Maybe I will notice that I prefer certain music with a solid state amp and prefer other music with a tube amp. So now I'm wondering, which tube amplifier should I get as my first tube amplifier to experience this.

At the moment I am in contact with Wieslaw and discussing possible options, and he advised me to go for the H22M+KPCU. Do you think this would be a good introduction to the world of tube amps, or are there better tips? Is there anything I should look for when ordering the H22M+KPCU? Any upgrade that I should not forget?

Best regards

Bojan

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #711 of 1,388
With 40 ohms/112 dB (Meze 109 Pro) wouldn’t a transformer-coupled design be more fitting, or does Wieslaw think H22M is fine with these specs?

As well, Pegasus has balanced out, maybe consider a fully balanced version, rather than ‘just’ dual-mono.

And, I would consider a potentiometer upgrade, it's relatively inexpensive.

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #712 of 1,388
With 40 ohms/112 dB (Meze 109 Pro) wouldn’t a transformer-coupled design be more fitting, or does Wieslaw think H22M is fine with these specs?
Wieslaw recommended this amplifier for the Meze 109 Pro to me. I will ask him again.

As well, Pegasus has balanced out, maybe consider a fully balanced version, rather than ‘just’ dual-mono.
Is there a fully balanced Eufonika amplifier that Wieslaw builds? Wieslaw recommended the H22M for my setting knowing that I have the Musician Pegasus and the Meze 109 Pro.

Wieslaw also offered me to build a clone of the Feliks Audio Euforia Evolution in his design for a much lower price than the Feliks price. Would this be a consideration? Or should I stick to an original Eufonika amplifier?

And, I would consider a potentiometer upgrade, it's relatively inexpensive.
I will ask him for this. Thank you!

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #713 of 1,388
I don’t think there is a fully balanced one. But I’d like one.

I would easily recommend Wieslaw’s amps over Feliks units. Not because the Feliks are bad — they are not! — but because with Wieslaw you get at least as good as design and technical quality, if not better, at a better price.

What potmeter upgrade are you considering?

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #714 of 1,388
In case you need to daisy-chain the amps, a set of passthrough connectors on the Eufonika amp might also be worth considering. I haven't checked, if Pegasus can handle having XLR and RCA outputs connected simultaneously, if not, daisy-chaining would be a way to not have to swap cables depending on which amp you want to use. It might the topping amp has passthrough, in that case you don't need it on the Eufonika amp as well.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #715 of 1,388
The Pegasus is unbuffered right? Like the Denafrips it is a clone of. In that case it doesn’t like having RCA and XLR connected at the same time.

Honestly I have a balanced DAC and have always like my full end-to-end balanced setup from DAC to amp to headphones. I did the daisy chaining you described. Matching volumes and switching from XLR amp to RCA on the Eufonika, I thought I would notice. Guess what: the Eufonika is so good that I would not pass an ABX test, sure of it.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #717 of 1,388
Does this mean, the Eufonika sounds indistinguishable from your solid state amp for you?
No, what I think he means, is the Eufonika sounds so much better than his solid state amp that there is no point quibbling over quibbles - the Eufonika is filled with joyous electron clouds drenching his phones in pure sonic bliss. Pretty sure that's what he meant. :L3000:

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #719 of 1,388
What potmeter upgrade are you considering?
Hi together, I asked Wieslaw for a potentiometer upgrade and he recommended to take the TDK 2CP 2511.

In case you need to daisy-chain the amps, a set of passthrough connectors on the Eufonika amp might also be worth considering.
Great recommendation, thank you! I will take this option!

I asked him once more and he again said that the H22M will be a good fit for the Meze 109 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back