Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
May 11, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #166 of 408
Bass

The X30 bass region is not emphasized, but it is not thin or lacking either. This IEM in general has a reference frequency response. That means none of the regions (bass / mids / treble) is emphasized, but none is scooped or muted either. For my own personal taste, being a minor case of a basshead, I thought the X30 bass presents a good quality but not quite enough quantity. To be honest, most of my test tracks sounded very good, but some that are bass and sub-bass heavy made me want to dial to 11… on that note, the iFi Gryphon’s XBass II feature helped a lot!

In comparison, the W80 bass is a big step up! Granted, people that love flat or reference FR would actually prefer the X30 bass over the W80, so… to each their own.
How would you compare it to EVO?
I remember two previous generations of the um pro 30 - they had a certain boost in mid bass area.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #167 of 408
I recently took an interest in Westone, really appreciate the impressions in this thread...

It's a bit confusing, though, as I don't see any of the 'W' series listed on their site anymore. The only universal series they now list is the Pro X.

I asked the Lucid chat support (god bless em) and they cryptically answered 'they are no longer available on their site.' I see some of what might be remaining inventory still available on Amazon.

@Zachik are you able to confirm if W have been discontinued?
Yes, the W series has been discontinued. You can still find new units inventory (like you saw on Amazon).

May 11, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #168 of 408
Yes, the W series has been discontinued.
That's kind of big news, right there. I think they may have discontinued the wrong series...

May 11, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #169 of 408
That's kind of big news, right there. I think they may have discontinued the wrong series...
I have a very good friend who is a big skeptic of this hobby (I know - hard to believe we're still friends... :laughing:). A few months ago, when he was visiting me, I had the W80 out on the table. He wanted to hear how those compare to his $10 IEMs...
I know it is obviously not a fare comparison, but I wish I had a photo (or video, preferably in slo-mo) showing his jaw dropping. Looked just like in the cartoons! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 11, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #170 of 408
Listening now to my ER4XR. Sibelius on Tidal. These things are superb. VERY good for classical, dispute the small stage. Excellent treble, tone, and imaging. Wonderfully clear and direct. And to my ears the perfect quantity of bass and sub-bass for the genre. Jazz also is superb, for the same reasons. And yes, rock sounds great. Sometimes I prefer the Ety over my HD660s.

I really think these deserve more attention, and they drop off the radar screens only because of fit issues (I've found the stock foam tips work well). People are put off by the deep penetration. The real positive, though, is tremendous sound isolation. I've used them as earplugs with good results. They work better than the standard foam things airlines hand out.

May 11, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #172 of 408
May 18, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #175 of 408
After a very VERY V E R Y long wait - these finally showed up at my door step!!! :grinning:

1652893822192.png

Expect un-boxing photos soon!

May 18, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #176 of 408
May 19, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #177 of 408
First up, unboxing of the MACH 60:
1652937309905.png

Inside the cardboard box, nestled a crushproof, watertight and dustproof case from Pelican:
1652937517637.png

The Pelican case contains the IEMs, cable, and all the other accessories:
1652937693506.png

A couple observations before moving on with the unboxing:
  • Printed paper manual is no more! As you can see above - instead, there is a card with QR code that links to the manual. Welcome to the 21st century :wink:
  • You get the famous Westone Audio fabric / micro-fiber bag. Great for storing the IEMs in a drawer when unused, but not really protecting it.
  • The big black Pelican case is the only protective case provided. Too big for travel, IMHO, and I wish the small orange hard case would have been included for travel... I am referring to this one:
1652938316090.png

More to come.....

May 19, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #178 of 408
...unboxing of the MACH 60 continues:

1652982519225.png

The IEMs with the "default" tips. Here is the other side of the IEMs:

1652982627330.png

Unless I am missing something - the only "obvious" Left / Right designation is the color of the WA logo. Good enough for me!

The MACH 60 comes with the SuperBaX cable, terminated in 3.5mm:
1652982820378.png

Compared to the BaX cable (that comes stock with the Etymotic EVO, as well as the lower-tier MACH 10/20/30) - the SuperBaX cable feels more substantial.
The SuperBaX cable is much more tangle resistant than the BaX cable, and has ear guides. The ear guides are definitely a personal preference thing - some love it while others prefer not having it. In the case of the SuperBaX cable - the ear guides were not a problem at all. I could not feel their presence, even while wearing glasses, and the cable just stayed behind my ears as intended!

May 20, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #179 of 408
Great to see more IEM's using the T2 connector. Yes there are plenty who will say "Why do we need another connector" IMHO its way better for IEM use than either MMCX or 2 pin, much more "professional" so I'm all for it, thumbs up from me.

Plus its the same connector that is used on my UE 18+ Pro so I can share cables now which is awesome.

Sorry, I hope I haven't derailed the thread with a discussion about this connector or that connector, perhaps we can keep those discussions where they belong, please only post about T2 if you agree with me. :)

May 20, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #180 of 408
Great to see more IEM's using the T2 connector. Yes there are plenty who will say "Why do we need another connector" IMHO its way better for IEM use than either MMCX or 2 pin, much more "professional" so I'm all for it, thumbs up from me.
I totally agree with you that T2 is way better than MMCX. As for 2-pin... I think each has its merits, personally.

Sorry, I hope I haven't derailed the thread with a discussion about this connector or that connector, perhaps we can keep those discussions where they belong, please only post about T2 if you agree with me. :)
Not derailed at all (yet...) - new (to Westone Audio) connectors are part of this MACH series launch!
In fact, I am excited to see the SuperBaX and UltraBaX cables now available to purchase - useful also for Etymotic EVO owners :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back