Etymotic warranty question
Sep 27, 2007 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ooztuncer

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,
I bought a Er-4P from the for-sale section of this forums 5 months ago - here is the description: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=237810

It was almost brand new as advertised, and I changed the tips perhaps 4 or 5 times in last 5 months.

To my surprise, yesterday I found out that there is no filter on the right side and the tip is broken from the side - actually it is in very bad shape. Let me try to show you where it is broken with my bad paint skills: http://ooztuncer.smugmug.com/photos/201067181-S.jpg

I always used this headphones in my cubicle, and I have absolutely no idea how something like this happened.

Anyways, I sent an e-mail to Ety customer service and they asked me to return the phone for repair. I only have the paypal receipt from my transaction with the above member but I don't have the original receipt. My question is do you think do I need to pay anything for the repair? What is your experience with Ety customer service and warranty issues? Thanks...

PS: also what could be cause of this issue - user error while changing the tips or is it a common thing? I am sure that it didn't happen yesterday. And now I realized why left side was more dominant than right (i thought that my ears are going bananas - duh!!)

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Most likely Etymotic will not charge you. Their customer service is top notch. Last time I sent something in for repair, they fixed it, no questions asked.

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 10
The first time I sent in my ER6i's it was because my cat decided they were a good play toy. That wasn't covered under the warranty, so I had to get a new pair at half MSRP. The second time I sent them in, for intermittent signal in the right side they were replaced at no cost.

I was the original buyer, so I don't know how buying them used will affect the warranty situation.

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 10
There's been many causes for how these things have broken... for me it was when I tried to replace the filters and went deeper than I should have with the removal tool. My second pair was purchased off here and while I'm not sure if it came like that or not the transducer or the tip as you've called it had a slight fracture that was barely noticeable at first. As mentioned by azncookiecutter and many others here, Etymotic's customer service is superb. I'm pretty sure my original pair was out of warranty and with this second pair purchased second hand Etymotic replaced the transducers free of charge, no questions asked. All that needed to happen was for me to send them in and wait. The hardest part of it all was waiting...

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 10
I've only dealt with Etymotic once when I lost my ER-4P shirt clip. They sent me two free ones in the mail.

TTVJ sells them for $6.00.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Just a follow up on this issue, ETY is a GREAT company
smily_headphones1.gif

Another very happy customer here, they took my er4p and changed both of the stems (one of them was cracked and the other was broken) for free (under warranty).

They rock!

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 10
The right channel of my hf2 stopped working after 2 months of use. I purchased it on eBay when there was still live cashback going on (I got it brand new for $80) and I don't think the seller is an authorized dealer and he didn't provide me a receipt either. Do you think etymotic will fix it for me and what should I tell them? Thanks.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most likely Etymotic will not charge you. Their customer service is top notch. Last time I sent something in for repair, they fixed it, no questions asked.

I couldn't agree more. Etymotic provide without a doubt the best customer care that I have ever experienced from any vendor. My set of HF2's developed a fault at the plug after a couple of months. I emailed Etymotic and they replied to say they're sending out a replacement set immediately, and that I can return the broken set whenever is convenient. I couldn't recommend the product or the company themselves highly enough.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Etymotic will most likely replace the drivers free of charge. Many broken stems are the result of older ER4 units that lacked the proper reinforcement. If yours don't seem to have a thick, gradual merging of the stem to the main driver housing but rather have a sharp 90 degree, then it is covered by them as a design defect. My only issue was it did not appear they did a very good job matching the drivers they chose on mine when it was recently replaced. They claimed to do only a 2dB matching on the ER4 and NO matching on any of their other models. Youch. They used to match pairs very tightly. All I was charged, though, was the $50 for the cord. I'm still thinking of calling and having them checked to make sure the technician matched them at all. They seem noticeably louder on the right driver (even in my left ear).

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #10 of 10
What's going on with Etymotic customer services?

I emailed them 10 days ago for a sound issue with my HF2 and they haven't replied. Also tried again 4 days ago with the same success.

I don't know what's wrong with ER headphones but they build quiality is poor, they always end up breaking .. i've had a few and the problem is always the same, all of a sudden, one of the phones stops receiving the audio.

This HF2 are actually a replacement I got in January because of the same issue. My original HF2 were purchased on Nov 2008.

I love the quality of the sound, the insolator features.. but the wires and the jack connectors seems to be their weakest link - no matter how well you treat your headphones (mine are like absolutely new).

So I wonder.. what's going on?
Why aren't they answering?
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back