Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jun 2, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #526 of 1,201
Good news all around:
Etymotic is now a Head-Fi sponsor, and the EVO world tour is now back on track.
Registration was extended by a week to June 6.

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #527 of 1,201
I'm also intrigued by the cable as the past Etymotic products I've used (HF5 and ER4XR) had some seriously bad microphonics (probably weakest part of the product imo)
I am unable to walk around with my ER4XR due to serious noise transmission - but I thought that was down to the earpiece / speaker assembly themselves?

Although tapping anywhere on the cable was loud also.

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #528 of 1,201
I am unable to walk around with my ER4XR due to serious noise transmission - but I thought that was down to the earpiece / speaker assembly themselves?

Have you tried wearing the cable over the ear? I find that basically eliminated the microphonics for me. I think the shirt clip would also help, but I don't bother with that.

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #529 of 1,201
Have you tried wearing the cable over the ear? I find that basically eliminated the microphonics for me. I think the shirt clip would also help, but I don't bother with that.
The chin slider helps, too.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #531 of 1,201
And you dont hear your footsteps - loudly or any rustle on the cable - loudly.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #532 of 1,201

Wearing the cable over ear can help with a lot of microphonics that happen with the ER-series of IEMs. The chin strap helps as well if over ear isn't an option. The EVO should be able to get rid of most cable noise if it's set up properly; even moreso if a BT adapter is made for it.

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #533 of 1,201
This is going to be tricky...
Since I am now a member of the trade, associated with Etymotic - I am not allowed (and rightfully so) to post reviews or impressions on Etymotic products.
I am not allowed to post subjective opinions, but I am allowed to post objective info / data.

Hmm, but Senns MoT just posted his impressions of Drop HD8xx which are being featured on the front page of Head-fi now...

1621960896505.png
Yeah. Weird.

I think the explanation is MoT rules vs. sponsor rules.

Here's from the top of the rules section:
Please note that Sponsors are exempted from some of these rules.

https://www.head-fi.org/articles/terms-of-service.6725/#mot

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #534 of 1,201
I think the explanation is MoT rules vs. sponsor rules.
I believe you are correct!

Now that Etymotic is a sponsor, I am allowed to post subjective opinions on Etymotic products despite being associated with Etymotic. That would fall under "advertisement" or "promotion", which is allowed for sponsors. I will try to remember to add a note that I am associated with Etymotic, just to make sure readers know that when reading my impressions / opinions.
BTW, I am not allowed to write anything negative on competitors, but that has never been my style anyhow... That rule applies to both MoT and sponsors.

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #535 of 1,201
Ooh does this mean they are compatible with previous ER4 custom fits? If so this makes it a pretty easy Insta buy for....! I can’t stand universals anymore and the custom fits were such a good idea by Etymotic.

Jun 2, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #536 of 1,201
Ooh does this mean they are compatible with previous ER4 custom fits? If so this makes it a pretty easy Insta buy for....! I can’t stand universals anymore and the custom fits were such a good idea by Etymotic.
@EtyDave can confirm, but since the nozzle looks pretty much the same to me - I guess it is compatible.

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #537 of 1,201

The stem (or nozzle) is the same as previous models, but most custom shells grab the earphone beyond the nozzle and the EVO does have a different body geometry. So, while it's possible that the custom molds will fit, it's likely not the case.

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #539 of 1,201
Just notice the description on evo's page .
"Our engineers have pushed the boundaries with a custom joined triple balanced armature driver module."

Hmmm, that's actually can be a rather good marketing point.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #540 of 1,201
Now that Etymotic is a sponsor, I am allowed to post subjective opinions on Etymotic products despite being associated with Etymotic.

@sndp - not sure what that means... Got to ask my teenage son to translate Emoji to me... :wink:
But if you're saying "it is about time I post something" - well... I am trying to finish organizing my thoughts and notes, and post my impressions tomorrow (at the latest). Just in time for when the samples are going to start being sent to first reviewers (probably mid-week or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back