Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 20, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #346 of 1,201
@EtyDave can you please check with Etymotic sales page team? I have observed that the International option does not include my country Malaysia

The better question is, can anyone actually hear beyond 16 kHz? I am pretty certain at the age of 46 I am unable to hear anything above 15k

I'm with you here. You're unlikely to hear that...
I am there with you guys, too... Decided to have my hearing tested 2 years ago (after not testing it for probably 20 years), and my hearing was very good for my age, but unfortunately they only test to 10K (or was it 12K?)...
However, the theory I heard multiple times from audio engineers and people that designs amps: despite not being audible, the human ears and brain use "cues" from high frequencies up to 30K or so for timing and spatial decoding of the audible frequencies.
In other words: you cannot hear notes in those frequencies, but if they were omitted - your brain would "feel" something is weird or missing.

May 20, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #347 of 1,201
For most of Etymotic's headphones, the last "peak" in the frequency response is generally around 15-16 kHz, so I think they rate it there for that reason. Though if you look at Crinacle's plots for the ER2, you see that the last peak doesn't really drop until around 18k, yet they are still rated for 16k. Etymotic might be using a minimum threshold compared to the 1k for it to say it still produces X frequency range.
Indeed, they probably calibrate the ER4 up there. I mentioned it because it may show an argument that they use a similar/same driver.
A counterargument may be that the FR would be altered by reflections from not-deep-inserting...
@EtyDave can you please check with Etymotic sales page team? I have observed that the International option does not include my country Malaysia

The better question is, can anyone actually hear beyond 16 kHz? I am pretty certain at the age of 46 I am unable to hear anything above 15k
If my discussions with people on climate mitigation would be a reliable metric, I'd say that anyone doesn't hear above 15 Hz :p
For clarity; of course providing frequencies in the visible range to the ear is a bit useless, just like providing 20 kHz noise. Maybe some other form of feedback is applicable, I am no audio engineer.
As far as I remember, old gen. 4S has the same score accuracy as the newest ones 4SR.
86% is the score of ER4P.

You know, we have dolphins roaming around here:smile:
Thanks for the correction, I didn't know that about the newer S.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #348 of 1,201

Yeah, I'll check with the sales team. The Website went live today, so I suspect that's an error. We can't disappoint our fans in Malaysia.

May 20, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #349 of 1,201
Very nicely concluded and a sane (and anti-trendy) environmentally sound choice. The accuracy claims of S~86% and SR~92% are already quite close :)

Could be worse, the Dutch prime minister would say "I have wrongly remembered my quote/event, but I did not lie" [which he clearly did]. Though being an engineer you cannot (and I am not accusing you of) be not a pathological liar like him of course :p

Yeah, I was just making a joke. If I read my comment in the context that I wrote it, it would probably make sense to me. Context is valuable (it helps me, at least).

May 20, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #351 of 1,201
@EtyDave I like the following phrasing: "Purest bass" and "truest sound signature", what that means apart from the < 100 Hz shelf, we will have to see with our ears (ref: Dream Theater - Octavarium) :D Seriously though, there are some typos in the text, I guess from your marketing department: "**Etymotic wanted** Improving both reliability and performance was at the forefront of what we wanted to accomplish." Also "**Get fully immersed** into the music with the minimalistic and aesthetic design that the Linum BaX T2 cable system provides", immersed by a cable? :p

Hmm 16 kHz tops, meaning thus a full-range SR-like driver for the higher frequencies?

I have no comment on the cable verbiage. :wink:

The driver is indeed similar to the XR, but the acoustics aren't identical in the high frequencies. It's not exactly an SR response.

I know everybody is clamoring for graphs, and I need to put something together.

May 20, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #352 of 1,201
Hi Dave. I have tried the check out and yes it include Malaysia. So all good now! Thanks!

Weird, I hadn't even had a chance to speak to anybody yet.

May 20, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #354 of 1,201
In recording, not many situation the would actual recording signals above 20khz.
For the reasons: a. the actual ability of mics b. not every playback gear create equally.

If amp's designer says 30Khz, 40khz ,100khz, they actual means the speed/bandwidth of the inner circuit.
Some old school Preamp designer usually set a 20khz lowpass filter for safety , or even start roll off in 16khz early.

Sorry for off topic, Just place the order, can't wait mid-June coming.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #356 of 1,201
Yeah, I'll check with the sales team. The Website went live today, so I suspect that's an error. We can't disappoint our fans in Malaysia.
Is Amazon one of the largest distributor of Etymotic products? Perhap I will make use of return policy insurance for EVO?😁

May 21, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #359 of 1,201
I can hear 19.5kHz on those test websites but I have no idea if that's comparable at all to actual music.
you could run your music file through a high pass filter at the desired cutoff frequency, play it through your headphones, and see if there is any audible information there.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #360 of 1,201
Could be Etymotic hearing aid viewpoint showing, 16KHz is the common range for adults. Very few adults/young adults can fail a DBT of 14 ~ 16KHz low passed white noise to non low passed white noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back