Etymotic MK5... any users?
Oct 9, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #46 of 79

Will try shirt clip, but it would be just problematic to use it with t-shirts in summer :) 

I live in the tropics and T-shirt is really all I wear. It is just a case of getting use to.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #48 of 79
I'll also try over-the ear and let you guys know about the result. In fact, my ear canals have unusually steep slope towards my top (discovered when making custom tips), so this might work. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #49 of 79

Sorry for the stupid questions, but where do you attach it? On the neckline? 

Unless you are those type that only wear very tight T-shirt, just lift a small corner up from the chest area and clip it there.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #51 of 79
I had the MK5, the Etymotic kids 5, and the HF5 to compare at one point. I think the MK5 just sounded all around dead and not worth the money at all. The HF5 was clearly the best by far in terms of detail and clarity, but the Etymotic kids 5 was surprisingly good. I wouldn't use it as a primary, but its worth it's a steal just for its sound isolation.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #52 of 79
I had the MK5, the Etymotic kids 5, and the HF5 to compare at one point. I think the MK5 just sounded all around dead and not worth the money at all. The HF5 was clearly the best by far in terms of detail and clarity, but the Etymotic kids 5 was surprisingly good. I wouldn't use it as a primary, but its worth it's a steal just for its sound isolation.

Sorry but I have to disagree with your statement. MK5 is as good as if not better than HF5. Are you sure if you got a bad pair?

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #53 of 79

Admittedly I haven't listened to HF5 for a while and never listen to Kid 5 before, but I can't agree that MK5 is not worth the money. If anything I think it is better buy than MC5 and an excellent buy on its own.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #57 of 79
I just got a pair of these and they sound good but damn they are painful to wear and then taking them out is excruciatingly painful. I'm also not convinced they offer any more isolation than my Klipsch S3.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #58 of 79
  I just got a pair of these and they sound good but damn they are painful to wear and then taking them out is excruciatingly painful. I'm also not convinced they offer any more isolation than my Klipsch S3.

Put a tiny bit of baby oil or lotion on the tri-flanges.

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #59 of 79
I'm happy with the sound but the isolation is very disappointing. After more testing between the 2, I'm now convinced the isolation is slightly worse than my Klipsch S3. This is unexpected as many years ago I owned a pair of Etymotic ER4s which I had always remembered as having great isolation. I stayed away from Etymotic for many years as my experience was they were poorly built and didn't last long. In fact I never owned a pair that could last longer than the warranty. So the MK5 is my first Etymotic for a very long time (probably over 12 years ago). The isolation in these in nothing like what I remember even when deeply inserted. Perhaps my ears have grown over the years.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #60 of 79
  I'm happy with the sound but the isolation is very disappointing. After more testing between the 2, I'm now convinced the isolation is slightly worse than my Klipsch S3. This is unexpected as many years ago I owned a pair of Etymotic ER4s which I had always remembered as having great isolation. I stayed away from Etymotic for many years as my experience was they were poorly built and didn't last long. In fact I never owned a pair that could last longer than the warranty. So the MK5 is my first Etymotic for a very long time (probably over 12 years ago). The isolation in these in nothing like what I remember even when deeply inserted. Perhaps my ears have grown over the years.

Surprise to see that because MK5 isolates noise just as good as ER4 using the same tips. (I just compared them not a moment ago). Do you use the transparent blueish tri-flanges? Those are actually a smaller size compared to the usual white (or grey) tri-flanges and therefore might not offer as good an isolation if you have mid to large ears. It is meant to offer better comfort, especially for those with small ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back