Etymotic MC5, Klipsch s4, or something else in similar price range.
Jan 15, 2011 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SNash13

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I'm looking to upgrade my IEMs and am looking for some expert advice.  I've owned some old panasonic IEMs and, more recently, some Sennheiser CX300s and CX300 IIs.  Seeing as all of these buds have now carked it, I need an upgrade, and am looking for some headphones of a bit higher quality, and within the USD$70-80 price range.  I've done a reasonable amount of research and have zeroed in on the Etymotic MC5 and the Klipsch s4.  But reviews seem to be a little mixed and I was wondering if you had any insights or suggestions.  I mainly listen to hip-hop, house, soul, r&b and jazz, just in case that is of any importance.  Also, isolation is important as I'll be using these on the train, in the city, etc.  Finally, I would prefer buds that aren't overly muddy or bass heavy.  The CX300s were probably a bit too much on the low end for my liking, and I liked the attention to higher frequencies on the panasonics, with less overpowering bass.  Thanks in advance!

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 6
Get the Headdirect RE0. They are pretty much the golden standard of value for money in IEMs under 100 here in Headfi and will best the other two you listed. You wont find anything better at the 79 price point.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 6
I disagree. I tried the RE0 and they were nothing really special.. I'm not sure about the S4, but Etymotic IEMs are reputed to have the best isolation around when using the tri-flange tips. They have good clarity, although a bit analytical for my taste. Another option you might look at are the offerings from Meelectronics. While they have their shortcomings, i found them to be pretty enjoyable.

Quote:
Get the Headdirect RE0. They are pretty much the golden standard of value for money in IEMs under 100 here in Headfi and will best the other two you listed. You wont find anything better at the 79 price point.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I mainly listen to hip-hop, house, soul, r&b and jazz, just in case that is of any importance.  Also, isolation is important as I'll be using these on the train, in the city, etc.

IMHO - The MC5 is a poor choice for your preferred genres, especially if the music was produced or mastered in the last 10 years or so. The MC5 isolates well at times I can even listen to ballads during my commute.  However, I haven't used mine for months because of the unbearable sibilance.  You'll hear sibilance in tracks that isn't noticeable with other headphones. The MC5 can also sound rather lifeless.

I haven't tried many IEM's but for commuting, I love my RE-Zero's. While the isolation isn't great, the sound is balanced to the extent, that the mids seem to do a fairly good job of blocking out most conversations.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Well sound is really a subjective thing. IJoker may have rated the RE0 as 8.75/10 for sound and 10/10 for value while the S4 gets a 6.75/10, however that doesnt really matter if you enjoy the S4 more than the RE0 because you like a more bassy sound as opposed to a more neutral one. So my advice is to try out as many IEMs you can and pick the ones that sound best -to you. I personally enjoyed my RE0s.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 6
keep in mind that the mc5 is also the most durable, and i think that is the one which isolates the most.

But is not good for bass, i mean... I'm eqing all the low freq up but i still can't hear the bass in metal music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back