Etymotic Love?
Mar 31, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #46 of 57
This is what it looks like in ear

er4_in_ear.jpg

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #47 of 57
Maybe I'm not inserting my ER4's deep enough - I think yours are a lot further in than I wear mine & I guess this affects the sound.

I must try going deeper...!

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #48 of 57
Depth of insertion makes a big difference to the sound. The further away from the ear drum the transducer sits the bigger the soundstage but that also leaves a bigger cavity for the sound to do things in and that is the brilliance of the spacer mod in that it takes the driver further away from the eardrum but maintains the seal to the inner ear. I ram them in as far as they can go, wait till the tip has softened up and the ram it a bit further (using Shure black olives or Comply T100x). Same goes for my HF2 headset with the iPhone.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:
I think the product is so good those of us that have tried them just keep using them. I've had the same pair for about 5 years and use them regularly. I've listened to some stuff over the years and just find nothing else really compares for the uses I have for them.

They're my mowing, flying, lying, and seclusion headphones. The only headphones I use more are my HF-2 and that's because they're at work.

Bingo. On the go, ER4P with my iPhone 4S is good. At home with the iPhone line out into a PPA and the ER4P, it is utterly sublime. Had this set up for years and it is so close to perfect that I just don't see a need to change.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #50 of 57
Wiped the cobwebs off this thread, eh? I'm with y'all, though. My HF5 is my favorite pair of earphones I've tried. Use them everyday.

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #51 of 57
While this thread is back, I will say that Etymotic's stuff is amazing. I love my Hf5s. I kinda regret the purchase though... Now everything else sounds bad!
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #52 of 57
While this thread is back, I will say that Etymotic's stuff is amazing. I love my Hf5s. I kinda regret the purchase though... Now everything else sounds bad! :p

The Etys will ruin you like that... But thats a good thing!!!

Jim

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #53 of 57
My first pair of IEMs with any type of SQ was a pair of Er6i's that a friend gave me because she didn't like the bass response.  Since then I've tried other IEMS which mostly sound like they've had a towel put over them. My ER6i's are dead now, and being the cheap person that I am I decided to try the ety kids model from amazon, which can currently be had for around $25 USD. I love them, for the price I am unsure that the same detail level is possible, and they have tighter bass than my more expensive brainwavz M4 earbuds. 

I guess now Etymotic has an entry level model into the $30 category. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #54 of 57
Quote:
My first pair of IEMs with any type of SQ was a pair of Er6i's that a friend gave me because she didn't like the bass response.  Since then I've tried other IEMS which mostly sound like they've had a towel put over them. My ER6i's are dead now, and being the cheap person that I am I decided to try the ety kids model from amazon, which can currently be had for around $25 USD. I love them, for the price I am unsure that the same detail level is possible, and they have tighter bass than my more expensive brainwavz M4 earbuds. 

I guess now Etymotic has an entry level model into the $30 category. 

lol same story here.  loved my ER6i's, but their durability was horrible.  1 channel died, but luckily it was under warranty, and i got another that had similar problems.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #55 of 57
I've had my er4p's for over 12 years and they are still the best phones that I have.  I wish they made full size though.  I would buy them right now.  I've gotten so used to their really flat response and analytical sound that everything else just sounds like it needs to be equalized to sound right even my new Hifiman he400's.

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #56 of 57
I am picking up a set of ER-4PTs today to replace my HF5s... hope the increase in sound quality is noticeable for the £££ !

Will let you know how they partner with my HiSoundAudio Studio 3rd 
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:
I am picking up a set of ER-4PTs today to replace my HF5s... hope the increase in sound quality is noticeable for the £££ !

Will let you know how they partner with my HiSoundAudio Studio 3rd 
wink.gif

Awesome... opened the box and found a P -> S adapter lead in a plastic bag, along with all the usual accessories.

Happy days !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back