Etymotic Love?
Mar 30, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tips are they on your etys mate?

Are they smaller or larger than the triflanges?

I've never had any problems with the etys producing frequencies that are evident in music. I'm not sure they would produce 20hz convincingly, but not many headphones do IMVHO. It's essentially a useless frequency anyhow.

They are medium black olives with the spacer mod and are about the size of the biggest flange on the tri-flange.

And I agree that no headphone will produce 20hz or anywhere near it convinsingly as a lot of that requires the physicallity that only large amounts of moving air can do.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #32 of 57
got a pair of er4p a few weeks ago, and i love them a lot. so far, the best IEMs i've ever used.
i am currently using the double-flanged tips (the small tri-flanged tips with the smallest flange part cut off).

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #33 of 57
Another ER4 convert here.

Listening through an iMod, Pvcap dock (with teflon caps too), RSA SR-71A and P to S adaptor the detail these boys pick up is astounding.

I will try an Apuresound cable sometime soon, and I really do wish that they didn't stick out so much!
Apart from that I am totally happy - love them.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #34 of 57
The sticking out wil be solved by the APS cable, they the get so flush that I at least am able to lie on my side with my head on a pillow with no discomfort

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #36 of 57
I would really like to try the ER4P. But the ER6i was just so uncomfortable for me because of the deep insertion... For me, the comfort is keeping the etymotic brand off of my list of top-tier iems, even if I know they belong there, because of how deep insertion/uncomfortable they are. I believe that I would like the ER4P a lot. There were aspects of the ER6i I loved. But until they come out w/ something more comfortable/shallow like the Westones/Sennheiser, I just can't consider them a viable option.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #37 of 57
Is the APS upgrade cable for ER4S a worthwhile investment? I'd be interested to know if its value for (what seems pretty steep) money.

Also, how does it work - do you send them your etys or can you simply swap out the cables yourself? Not really clear from their website....

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #38 of 57
I can't tell you if it is value for money for you, but for me it was well worth it. It works by you placing an order for the cable and it then gets send to you. You then unplug the stock cable and plug in the new cable, no tools required.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #39 of 57
I got my ER4,s a few years back,and initially had issues with that 2.5k peak which just was just too much for my ears.
So i built my self a little amp and an in line passive eq and tuned them to suit.
I have loved these things ever since!
Careful tweaking of the lf and other adjustments give them weight and added refinement, and with a good recording marvelous sound stage.
They are an absolute joy with dubstep through to renaissance music.

So another big thumbs here too
beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #40 of 57
My rig at home is Audio-GD DAC 19 DSP and C2 with HD650s. When I plug in my ETY 4p/s I can't honestly say I like the HDs better their just different.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nc8000, what silicone tips have you tried with the ER-4Ps? I've found the stock ones very uncomfortable...

Sorry, missed this one yesterday. I have only tried the white tri-flange that I can only use when cutting the smallest flange of and that was a long time ago where I found that I didn't like it though I can no longer remember why. Then I tried the black olives and liked them. Today I use The Comply T100x with the build in filter

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

What eartips are you guys using?

I've given up on the tri-flanges, as they irritate my ears after a while and the sound is too clinical and bass-light with them. And the gliders veil things too much, so have ditched those too. Now I'm onto the Ety foams, which work great for me - increased bass without any sacrifice elsewhere, and comfort is brilliant.

Have got some T-100 complys coming in today too so am going to do a comparison. Will let you know what I think.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

What eartips are you guys using?

Shure black olives in medium - no comfort issues at all and great isolation.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sticking out wil be solved by the APS cable, they the get so flush that I at least am able to lie on my side with my head on a pillow with no discomfort

I missed this - thanks NC8000 that makes the APS cable even more interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back