Etymotic HF5 Warranty Question
Sep 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OctaneTwisted

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have a problem. I accidentally left my HF5s at my girlfriend's house and her cat decided to chew on them. Here's what they look like now:

Both the left and the right bud look about the same, except the right one doesn't have bite marks where the wire actually connects to the bud. The sound in both the left and right ear is distorting pretty heavily at higher volumes, especially with rock and metal where there are a lot of instruments playing at once. They've been like this for probably six months and I haven't even bothered with the warranty because I'm assuming Etymotics doesn't cover cat damage. 
tongue_smile.gif

I just thought I'd get some opinions. Should I try sending them in, or just forget it? I have over a year of my warranty left.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Etymotic has one of the best warranty services.  Since the damage is not from a defect, call them and there's a good chance you can use their excellent out of warranty program.  I've used it and it's great.  Since the ER4 models are pretty much back to retail prices, with the program, you can get the ER4PT or ER4S for under $200 and they are brand new units with full warranty.  Give them a call.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Goodvibes- With the distortion I'm getting it makes them almost impossible to listen to unless I turn my volume down really low. How could I be happy?
frown.gif

alpha421- I was hoping to hear something along the lines of what you said. I'll call them when I get a chance and see how it goes.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Funny thing is a similar incident had happened to me as well.  Cat+etymotic ER4P = dead right channel. I think the CAT+iem cable equation is a very popular one to be heard.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with their service.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 6
  Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Goodvibes- With the distortion I'm getting it makes them almost impossible to listen to unless I turn my volume down really low. How could I be happy?
frown.gif

alpha421- I was hoping to hear something along the lines of what you said. I'll call them when I get a chance and see how it goes.

My bad. Apologies. Go with Alpha's recommendation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back