Etymotic HF5 Tips
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #77 of 91
Hi All,

Just got some HF3s to replace my TF10 (which I was getting massively frustrated with, isolation and fit-wise).

I'm having trouble with more or less all the stock tips... the triple flanges both seal well but hurt after only a few minutes of listening. The foams are definitely more comfortable, but also start hurting after a little while, probably more like 10-15 minutes.

What would the best option be at this point? Recommendations seem to be 1) Shure Olives; 2) Klipsch Eargels; 3) Trimming a flange off the stock triple flanges

Which should I get (or do you have another suggestion)? What size / type? I don't really want to spend $15-20 on a set of tips and find out they're the wrong size...

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #78 of 91
Moonblade, I personally speaking, would recommend either the olives or complys. The Klipsch are also very comfortable, but I seem to have it scrape the inside of my ear when i remove them, and but seals too well (does the whole on a airplane, variances in pressure thing).

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #79 of 91
Thanks, Ztick -- do you have any guidance on sizing for the olives? I'm assuming I need either S or M, but I'm not really sure... both the tri-flanges go in very far (the back of the third flange on the small one sits flush with my ear canal entrance), but both hurt pretty decently after a few minutes. I don't really want to spend $20 on 5 tips that, ultimately, will be the wrong size for my ear.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #80 of 91

Quote:
Thanks, Ztick -- do you have any guidance on sizing for the olives? I'm assuming I need either S or M, but I'm not really sure... both the tri-flanges go in very far (the back of the third flange on the small one sits flush with my ear canal entrance), but both hurt pretty decently after a few minutes. I don't really want to spend $20 on 5 tips that, ultimately, will be the wrong size for my ear.

The medium Olives seem to fit most people - myself included.  I usually need to use the small silicone tips when three sizes are provided.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #81 of 91

Quote:

i would agree with nyonya, mediums are probably the way to go. I usually used M silicones, and the small tri flanges are too small, if that helps to give u an idea about the size

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #84 of 91
The Gliders fit me almost perfectly so does anyone know if that would be a medium or large Klipsch ear tip? I wish Klipsch had a mixed bag of sizes for the replacement tips but I didn't see that option on their site.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #86 of 91
I ended up ordering the Klipsch medium single gels. They seem to be a hair smaller than the gliders but still fit well on me. The Klipsch gels give the HF5s a touch of warmth. The highs don't sound quite as crisp like they do with the Etymotic tips. I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, just different. I think it's nice to be able to slightly modify the sound depending on the tip that's used.

Also, I tried cutting the smallest tip off the end of the large grey Etymotic tri-flange and it really made a difference in fit. Before, they hurt my inner ear canal. Now they're nice and snug with excellent isolation. As far as I could tell, there was no difference in sound.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #87 of 91
I am wondering, since the gliders are much longer than the actual nozzle of the hf5, if cutting them a bit will improve sound, fit, and fugliness? has anyone tried that yet?

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #89 of 91
These tips from Klipsch fit snuggly and retain the HF5 filters just as the ones from Etymotic. I've used the regular (medium tips) which work great for me and have had no issues. I don't consider it a down side that the insertion is not nearly as deep with these tips and the isolation is nearly if notexactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back