Etymotic hf5 or Shure SE215
May 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #16 of 29
Rockit Sounds ships internationally and its free, they shipped my R-50 from Hong Kong and got to me in Dallas TX in 4 days which would be really fast for express shipping.  The EPH-100 ship from the UK, where do you live if you don't mind me asking because I think you can still get a really nice set of IEM's other than the Shure for a reasonable price.

May 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #17 of 29
well taking into consideration the price and warrenty, those are other deciding factors, the 210/215 arent bad, they are good for their price range...i see what you are saying

May 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #18 of 29
The EPH-100 have a 2 year warranty when you buy them from Audio Affair and the R-50 have a 1 year warranty, I'm just saying you shouldn't over look some other options I truly feel you can get a much better sounding IEM and both the R-50 and EPH-100 are very well built as well.

May 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 29
I have been using the SE215 for about a week now which were replacements for lost Etymotic hf5 (big bummer!).

Here are my thoughts:

SE215-  full, warm, rich sound, somewhat weak highs, strong but not overpowering bass, good noise isolation, burning in even richer sound. fit ok-but i may order the yellow foam which did not come with them for a tighter fit.  still trying to get use to the over ear cable design which takes longer to put in and secure around the ear than the Etys; the cable is both longer and thicker than almost all others in this category-- over 5 feet long--too long for my uses-gym, bike, travel--but not a deal breaker.

HF5- a different sound experience than the SE215:  clarity is totally amazing and superior, no boosted bass like the Shure making for very clear bass w/o the overboom I dislike and others really like.   Fit-you can get complete noise isolation with these and feel like you are in your own world-be careful when biking--which means you get the most utilization out of the incredible clarity and at lower volumes which is easier on your ear (hearing loss is an increasing health problem).  

I love both earphones for different reasons:  the fit, ease of in/out, superior sound isolation and clarity of the HF5 is hard to beat.  These are easier to put in/out, so better for grab and go gym, bike riding.  If you are more patient than me, it'll take you 30 seconds more to put in the SE215s.  The superior sound isolation of the HF5s can be a hazard if you are biking or moving around--you really are lost in another world with these on which is ultimately why I love them.  As for types of music, classical is definitely better on the Hf5s which are superior in terms of clarity and highs, and if you prefer thumping loud bass over more clear rhythmic bass, the SE215s win on that count.  All that said, I'm not sure which ones I prefer for electronica and hip hop-- the clarity of instrumentation and range of the Hf5s versus the pumped boom of the bass on the SE215--hard to choose for me.

Both companies provide excellent customer support.  The SE215 fit flush against the ear, while the HF5s stick out a little.  In fact, I broke a pair of Ety MC3s a couple years ago due to this design (i think) while biking with them.  However, Etymotic offered to take most of the price of a replacement pair off what I then purchased, the HF5. 

Both are great earphones.  Just think about how you will use them and about your sound and fit preferences.  Even better, try them out if you can.  Some folks recommend ordering your top 2 choices, knowing you'll keep one and return the other.

buena suerte!

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #21 of 29
Just get the se215s if you like bass and noise isolation, get the hf5s if you like detail. Stop slagging on. I have the 215s and like all the other posts in this thread have clearly pointed out, they have bass, but not overwhelming amounts of it. It can get boomy if you eq it hard enough :wink:

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
Just get the se215s if you like bass and noise isolation, get the hf5s if you like detail. Stop slagging on. I have the 215s and like all the other posts in this thread have clearly pointed out, they have bass, but not overwhelming amounts of it. It can get boomy if you eq it hard enough :wink:

Some people make getting an IEM seem like there buy their first house or something, its only a IEM, granted a $100 one but still from all the posts you should have plenty of info to make a choice.

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Some people make getting an IEM seem like there buy their first house or something, its only a IEM, granted a $100 one but still from all the posts you should have plenty of info to make a choice.

Techno Kid, is your Sony XBA-1 a keeper? I was always intrigued seeing them in the store.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Techno Kid, is your Sony XBA-1 a keeper? I was always intrigued seeing them in the store.

They're a nice little IEM.  Warm with forward mids and relaxed highs, good detail and the bass is very good for a single BA imo.  The soundstage is about average I'd say its sounds the same as the HF5 in width and depth.  For $62 its quite good and has a fun consumer friendly sound signature with good detail.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #25 of 29
They're a nice little IEM.  Warm with forward mids and relaxed highs, good detail and the bass is very good for a single BA imo.  The soundstage is about average I'd say its sounds the same as the HF5 in width and depth.  For $62 its quite good and has a fun consumer friendly sound signature with good detail.

It looks easy to pop in and take out on the run, like when doing errands and whatnot.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
It looks easy to pop in and take out on the run, like when doing errands and whatnot.

They're just a fun little set to listen to, though now that I took my old HF5 back from my sister I'm giving the XBA-1 to her.  The times I did listen to them they were sounded really good for $62, I got them knowing I'd give them away at some point I just wanted to try them out to hear how Sony tuned them. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #27 of 29
bought the 215's for the gym. They sound great and build quality is very good. Love my westones but they are not built (and cost to much) for rough and tumble. Shure has made a breakthrough at this price point... :D

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #28 of 29
Agreed. My SE215's are for trains, subways; noisy, low frequency rumbling New York City sidewalk walking. Places where the bass response and mids and isolation are appreciated with all the sonic competition going on. 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back