Etymotic HF2: How much occlusion? Sound quality comparisons?
Oct 3, 2008 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

velveteer

Head-Fier
I used to own a pair of ER6i's for a short period. I had to sell them because they suffered from extreme occlusion. This is a very important aspect of an IEM for me because I always listen to my music on the go.

Now I'm considering the HF2. I'm wondering if anybody might chime in on whether these particular Etymotics are as occlusive (yes, new word) as the ER6i, or whether they are occlusive generally. By reference, I sold off my ER6i to purchase some Shure E4Cs (stolen), and they were just about perfect.

I'd also like to know how the HF2s rate in terms of sound quality, particular compared to the Shure E4c and the Denon C700s. I haven't been able to find very much information on the forums using the search function.

I'm considering the HF2s for my iphone and am simply uncertain as to whether they are the right choice...

I listen to a mix of classical and classic rock. Thanks!

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 13
Isolation is good. Again, I had few to no problems with my E4c's.

Occlusion is the transfer of noise/sound from walking or wind brushing the IEM cord against your body. Like the "thump thump" you might hear when you're pacing down the street...

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats more commonly (incorrectly) referred to as microphonics

Wear every IEM you own over your ears like Shures are made to be worn and every one of them will be as good as your e4c's

Occlusion effect is also known 'bone conduction'; microphonics is what we call 'cable noise'. I think the OP mix-up the two.

Unlike microphonics, bone conduction can't be easily fixed. You can 1) get custom or custom eartips with deep mold, since they suffer less bone conduction. 2) change your shoe (softer show helps) and walk slowly. 3) get used to it.

For microphonics (which is cable noise), use a shirt clip or wear them as over-the-ear style.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 13
I'm not sure that over the ear style will be possible with the HF2 as it looks as the distance between the ear pod and the microphone might be too short for that but I should know next week as I bought a set of them here last week and they are on the way. Then I'll also be able to test the sq against my ER4-P. The drivers in both are supposed to be the same but the left-right matching is not as good in the HF2 and the casing is different.

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 13
Have you guys seen the etymotic HF5? It's an Amazon exclusive it looks like but it's a little bit cheaper than the HF2 although it doesn't have the phone functions.

But I guess for 20 bucks more you could just get the ER4p.

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Hmmm...sorry about that guys. It's been a long time since I've frequented head-fi or looked into buying another pair of IEMs.

Whether it's occlusion or microphonics, nothing annoys me more than hearing the THUD THUD of my own feet as I walk down the street...according to post #5 that is occlusion.

...and I also hate microphonics!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 13
I received my HF2 today and have given them a short test run. They are clearly Etymotics in that the overall sound signature from the ER4 is very present in these. I would rate them at 85-90% of my APS ER4 so with the added benefit of the mike and control button this is very good. Almost all the top and mid is retained but they are missing a bit in the bottom and the general level of control that the APS cable supplied is also missing. I find the cable to be more flexible than the stock ER4 cable and there is also a fair bit less microphony especially given that the distance between the right earpiece and the mike pod is so short that I can't use them over the ear style. I was trying them on a 2 mile walk a brisk speed and didn't find there to be much THUMP THUMP either using them with black olives. I'll be using them when the iPhone is in phone mode but will also carry the APS ER4-P for when the phone is in airplane mode.

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks, NC8000!

I would be curious to see how you find the THUMP THUMPING over the coming days...I find that I am slightly more sensitive to the phenomenon than most.

Appreciate it. Enjoy them!

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 13
I went for another 4 mile walk this morning and must say that there is not enough THUMP to bother me but then THUMP has never bothered me with any of the iem's I have owned.
As an aside I last night tried the HF2 out of my big RudiStor RPX-100 amp and like the ER4 they really scale well when put in silly combinations.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 13
Yeah, once you really get used to IEM, things like microphonics or bone conduction won't bother you anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back