Etymotic ER4s sound with small tri-flanges
May 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

radiohlite

100+ Head-Fier
i really [really really!] want some ER4s' after living with my MC5s for about half a year...i finally got a $$ break where i can get these babies, but there's a little possible problem...

i pretty much can only use the smaller Ety tri-flanges.  the bigger ones just don't work in my ear canals, but the smaller ones are perfect.  i also don't want to get other tips from different brands cause the isolation+fit is beautiful as it is.

i did notice that the sound changed a bit with the different size tips.  probably has to do with the way they're positioned inside, also the shape of my ear canals [a bit crooked :frowning2: ].  the bigger ones generally game me less bass & treble and more mids, and sounded a bit dull.  the smaller ones balance the FR out pretty great all-around, the only thing missing is extended highs, but that's probably the MC5s, not the tips.

i was just wondering, since it seems most [or all] of the reviews i've seen of the ER4s are with the big tri-flanges, and they already have the microdetailed highs etcetera with those, i wonder if they might be too bright with the smaller ones

does anyone who own these use the small tips?  how are they?

and what about the ER4p...or for that matter the HF5s

i love my MC5s.  but i'm using them exclusively now [all other headphones sound unnatural after Etys] and i really wanna upgrade!

May 11, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm not sure about the small flanges, I use the large. Its late now but maybe tomorrow I can try them and see if there is a difference with me. I've been thinking of getting the custom tips. Have you thought about that?

I understand what you mean when you say every other headphone sounds unnatural. When I purchased the ER-4S I heard these beautiful tones in guitars and drums that I've never heard before out of my music collection. It's as if I've been listening to coloration all my life.

May 11, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 5
ER4 with small triple flanges works, the ER4 just doesn't provide any of them from its accessory boxset. I can't tell you how different the sound is though -- small flanges loses seal for me when I am using it with Etymotic products.

If the MC5, with small triple flanges, works for you, I am sure the ER4 with small triple flanges will work for you as well. I made an upgrade from the MC5 to the ER4 and I didn't regret it one bit.

May 11, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 5
One more thing I should mention about the ER-4 that might help you. I found that depth insertion is critical when using the triple flanges. There is a "sweet spot" where the sound opens up. Too shallow or too deep of a fit and it doesn't sound right. When you do find that sweet spot it's like Wow!

Your ears may vary.

May 12, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 5
The ER4 now ships with the smaller 3-flanged eartips on the unit out of the box (we refer to them as Frost eartips) and they are the same as the smaller 3-flanged eartips that you were using on the mc5.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back