Etymotic ER4 Replacement
Aug 20, 2012 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

ecosse_011172

New Head-Fier
My old ER4s have seen better days but I barely use them anyway as I find them so uncomfortable for more than 15 minutes.
In the office I use AKG K550 headphones which I'm very happy with, I bought Sennheisser HD-25 II for portable use but they're also uncomfortable after some time as I have quite a big head.

I've looked for portable headphones which will be comfortable enough but all of them (with low leakage/ high isolation) seem to clamp tightly, I recently tried B&W P5's but the bass was horrible, boomy and distorted, so bad that I suspect they have a fault.

Anyway, I've came to the conclusion that I should probably try a more comfortable set of IEMs, I will use my iPhone without an amp for the moment but I am interested in buying one, I listen mostly to guitar based indie music and rock/pop, minimal leakage and high isolation is essential and my budget is around the equivalent of $300
I've been doing some investigation and the Westone 2 IEMs sound very appealing due to comfort, build quality and sound.
What else should I consider?

Thanks in advance for your help.
This forum seems to be one of the most helpful on the web, I hope that I can contribute more in the future.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 41
Congrats. You came to a good conclusion. The Phonaks are like Etys without so much ear torture.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 41
Congrats. You came to a good conclusion. The Phonaks are like Etys without so much ear torture.

How so?

Just curious.

Jim

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 41
Jim, they have a similar sound, but the Phonaks are much less painful on the ears.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Quality of the Etys are higher than the Phonaks though XD I would've gone toward the T15 as there is a single flange tip and the ear torture still isn't as bad.  The Phonaks aren't a bad IEM though at all; definitely a step up from the HF5, but I wouldn't think it'd be a step up from the ER4s (wouldn't know for sure as I haven't heard them :frowning2:).  The ER4 is probably a bit of a step up from the T15, but has single flange tips that are much more comfortable while still being able to seal the ear :)

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 41
The ER4S is a step up from just about everything except the uber expensive customs IMHO (for those that "get" or like their sound). The Phonaks have a similar sound but are not as good IMHO.

That being said, I know ear torture can be rough. I currently have my right ear plugged because I've been listening to my ER4S for an hour this morning. I think I jammed them in too far. But I'm willing to suffer for its sound.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 41
Why no recommendation of a TWFK based IEM? Like the dba02, gr01, r50? Is the ER4 better than the TWFK IEM's?

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 41
Yes.
Quote:
Why no recommendation of a TWFK based IEM? Like the dba02, gr01, r50? Is the ER4 better than the TWFK IEM's?

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 41
That being said, I know ear torture can be rough. I currently have my right ear plugged because I've been listening to my ER4S for an hour this morning. I think I jammed them in too far. But I'm willing to suffer for its sound.

What kind of tips are you using?

I use the Comply Foam P-Series and can go well over 8 hours.

Jim

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 41
^ Been using the Shure Olive tips (small size). It's not brutal but it does hurt if I shove them into my ears deep enough. I should try the comply foam or just get customs and call it a day.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 41
^ Been using the Shure Olive tips (small size). It's not brutal but it does hurt if I shove them into my ears deep enough. I should try the comply foam or just get customs and call it a day.

The small olives were the first foamies I tried too.

I found they were not soft enough.

Tried the Comply, and my oh my, what a difference.

Give em a shot. They will make you renew your vows to your Etys.

Jim

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 41
My vows are all good with Etys. I'm willing to take the pain
etysmile.gif

But I appreciate the advice! I'm going to try the complys. I think I might have some around from my various IEMs I've had over the years.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:
The ER4S is a step up from just about everything except the uber expensive customs IMHO (for those that "get" or like their sound). The Phonaks have a similar sound but are not as good IMHO.

Quote:

Or you may consider the Fitear F111

Users who are viewing this thread

Back