Etymotic ER4 cable advice needed
Jul 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aaron622

100+ Head-Fier
I've used an Ety replacment cable by APureSound for several years, but it recently broke.  I haven't been able to get in touch with Alex at APureSound as far as a repair, and from what I've read, he doesn't seem to be in business.  Below are some pictures showing the damage:

At this point, is it even worth trying to get the cable repaired?  If so, what company does this kind of thing (I haven't been active on the forum in a while, so I'm not too up to date)?  If not, are there any alternatives to the stock ER4 cable?  I prefer wearing the cable over my ears and the stock cable doesn't allow this. 

Thanks,
Aaron

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 9
I am currently wearing the newest style Etymotic ER-4 cable over my ear.

Good Stuff. Contact Ety.

Jim

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks, can you explain what you mean by "newest style"?  When I had the stock cable it had the old blue and red connectors, and it didn't really work for over the ear due to them sticking out pretty far.  Other than the current ones being all black, is there any difference?

Aaron

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 9
It is the same plug end on the cable.

The new twisted cable on my second set is super pliable, unlike my first set with both wires inside the same insulation (kind of stiff).

But I think that what you do not like is the angle of the plug end.

Jim

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Oh Hey...

Looky here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-P-/300592438250?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item45fcb49bea

Hope it helps, Jim

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks.  Yeah, I'm talking more about the angle.  The over-the-ear thing isn't a deal breaker.  Thanks for the link as well.  So you have to buy the connector and then a Westone cable.  I'm sure this is pricier than just getting a stock Ety cable (and I doubt my broken APS cable is worth much).  Hard to tell if this other combo is any slimmer either.  However, it has the advantage that if the cable breaks somehow, you don't have to pull the connectors out of the earphones themselves.  I've read that you aren't supposed to do this too much or the connection gets loose.

Aaron

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 9
I noticed in your pic that you have custom molds.

I imagine that they stick out further than my normal insertion depth (deep).

There may be other options out there. I just do not know.

Jim

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah, I do have customs, but they are fairly recent, so no experience with them and the stock cable.  The Westone option isn't that much more than just going with the stock Ety cable, so thanks for pointing that out.  I emailed Etymotic to see if they can just send you a cable, because on their website they say you have to send in the actual earphones because the cable it not user replaceable (obviously not true).  They do clean and test the earphones though, so that could be worth it.

Thanks for your help,
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back