Etymotic ER-6i. To buy or not to buy
Jan 6, 2009 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

MattDotZeb

New Head-Fier
Right now I have a pair of JVC HA-FX34 Marshmallows. I'm satisfied with them, but I'm looking to pick up a new/better pair.
How much of a step up from the JVCs would the ER-6i be?

Also, I know there are ER-6s. The 6i is described as "built for iPod" which is a bit of a deterrent for me considering I have a Sansa Clip. Should I just purchase ER-6s instead? Is there much of a difference?

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattDotZeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I have a pair of JVC HA-FX34 Marshmallows. I'm satisfied with them, but I'm looking to pick up a new/better pair.
How much of a step up from the JVCs would the ER-6i be?

Also, I know there are ER-6s. The 6i is described as "built for iPod" which is a bit of a deterrent for me considering I have a Sansa Clip. Should I just purchase ER-6s instead? Is there much of a difference?

Heh, the "built for iPod' is merely just the marketing.
The er6i's are much different and some can say the 'opposite' of the FX34 is terms of sound signature.

Whilst the FX34 is bass heavy and treble detail isn't good, the ER6i is very detailed and good in the treble while it lacks bass.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 44
What it means by build for ipod is it's highly sensitive to volume, which is ideal for low power devices such as mp3 players (like the ipod)

ER6i's are great if you don't like a lot of bass.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 44
1. dont get the er 6, get the 6i, regardless of what you plan to use it with
2. after I got my er 6i, my marshmallows became my "lol@people with cheap listening gear" reminder phones. yes, there is more bass with the marshmallows, but the 6i certainly is not lacking and has so much more detail you can't even begin to compare the two phones.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 44
definitely if ur gonna purchase one of those two phones get the 6i

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

That may be problematic. I strongly enjoy my bass.
I'm going to do the Kramer Mod on my JVCs tomorrow, if the result pleases me I'll stick with the JVCs

Yes, try the Kramer mod and if that doesn't do the trick, I would either get an amp with bass boost for the ER6i, or instead consider the Nuforce NE-7M. Although the Nuforce are an iPhone IEM with mic and switch, they work with anything and have excellent sound like an ER6i but with all the bass you could ask for. There are a couple of good Nuforce threads, and most of the discussion is about what tips to use, since the general agreement is they are excellent for the price. They work best with Complys T400 tips or Shure E2c silicone tips, but I did a review on them and liked them when I only had the stock tips.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 44
So they have overall better quality with just a bit less bass?
As long as there will be a decent amount I'll be happy.

Also Kramer Modded Marshmallows sound really nice

Edit; Nuforce's are only $50? Wow, and the ER6i are about 20-30 more than that. I think I may pick up the Nurfoce's in addition to my Marshmallows, do a comparison on sound, and keep the loser for backup.

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

So they have overall better quality with just a bit less bass?
As long as there will be a decent amount I'll be happy.

Also Kramer Modded Marshmallows sound really nice

Edit; Nuforce's are only $50? Wow, and the ER6i are about 20-30 more than that. I think I may pick up the Nurfoce's in addition to my Marshmallows, do a comparison on sound, and keep the loser for backup.

If you're referring to the Er-6i's, "just a bit less bass" is something of an understatement. They are extremely light on bass, to the extent that I actually far prefer my wife's Bose IE's (muddy with no isolation, but very comfortable and with ample bass) to the Etys. While decidedly low-fi, the Bose sound is just so much more rich because it encompasses the full frequency curve.

I have a pair of Ne-7m's on the way though. Here's hoping, per HA's comments, that I've finally stumbled on a modestly priced canal phone which provides both sufficient detail and bass response.
beyersmile.png

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 44
Sorry, but this is like Deja vu. I pondered the same thing you did in early october, last year, and I had the Marshmallows since December 2007. The only reason I was pondering buying the ER6i's, is because the left side of the headphones didn't work anymore. However, it must be said, that with an ipod, the Marshmallows sound good, especially if you love your bass. So how did I feel after purchasing the ER6i's? I returned them. I couldn't stand them. I know people here rave about them and there sophisticated brother, the 4's. I HATED there sound!! They are just cold, analytical and NOT fun!!! I would definitely do the mod to the marshmallows, since it seems like you prefer fun sound like I do. I have bought two other headphones since then, and the one I am sticking with is the one I bought last week: the ATH ES7's. You might not like them, because they are not IEMs. However, they are definitely the most fun I have had with headphones, especially AFTER burning them in for 200 hours with pink noise( I have like 100 more hours to go, though). They trump everything else I have bought.
beyersmile.png

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 44
I like my SE210's for isolation. For sound and the price, not really. It also depends on the tips you use. I have better isolation with olives than silicone but they do take longer to get a good seal with. From what I have heard the Nuforce NE-7M's have decent isolation. With the sound on I doubt you'll have anything else but someone will have to confirm this. My plan is to use one pair with silicon probably for back/forth to class and one pair with foamies for listening at home/in bed but we'll see how I do with the Sennheiser CX400's and the Nuforce NE-7M's once I get them. I also need to get my 210's repaired or replaced.. Sigh those crappy Shure cables.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #14 of 44
Quite simply, nothing will beat an ER 6i in isolation. Their sound is not bad by any means if you just give them some time and listen rather than shake your head to the bass. They're honest phones rather than whatmostpeoplewanttohear phones. If you listen to them for a couple weeks you ought to grow to enjoy them unless your music is repeated bass notes with occasional whoooooops and continuous rhythmic speaking containing great amounts of slang and profanity. If you get what I mean.

But if isolation is important for you, if you want super drooly bass, you'll have to spend a bit more on some Image X10s or something.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite simply, nothing will beat an ER 6i in isolation. Their sound is not bad by any means if you just give them some time and listen rather than shake your head to the bass. They're honest phones rather than whatmostpeoplewanttohear phones. If you listen to them for a couple weeks you ought to grow to enjoy them unless your music is repeated bass notes with occasional whoooooops and continuous rhythmic speaking containing great amounts of slang and profanity. If you get what I mean.

But if isolation is important for you, if you want super drooly bass, you'll have to spend a bit more on some Image X10s or something.

That seems a bit condescending. There's nothing wrong with not liking the ER6i's because they have lean bass. A lot of people (myself included) just find iems/headphones lacking in bass to sound cold and boring most of the time. I'm sure they're great if you play music and want to easily distinguish each note, but if you listen to genres where bass makes it sound more fun then they're not the best for that. Rap and other genres are not the only ones it's nice to have solid bass in, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back