Etymotic Er-6 Isolaters for my Ipod, will they be any better than the Sony MDR-EX71S
Jun 16, 2004 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

cu3ed

New Head-Fier
Hi got a small question for anyone that might be in the know, its very simple.
I have an ipod, i listein to it EVERYWHERE, im currently using the sonys ( which ive used for years and at the price they can be bought at , i would happily recommend them to anyone), but i do like to get the best out of my music. So i have been looking at the Er6s, they like the job, and at a fir enough price, So just how much better will they be? Will they be able to handle the eq settings ( the more bassy ones) better then the sonys?, they give my alot of crakling and distortion when i try with them!!!!
Sorry to ask such a small thing but i have no option but to buy them online, and i dont want to get stung trying to get a refund. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, thanks.

Jun 16, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 28
I can't speak for the ER6 but the ER-4P is leagues better than the EX71's, my wife has and loves the 71's, they were just too bloated in the bass for my tastes, and lacking in detail. I'd say the ER6's would be a definite step up.

Scott

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 28
Well, I have the ER6 and they are, from what I hear of the EX71, much less bassy than the EX71. Without bass boost, there is very little bass, and even with bass boost, there won't be any impact: you won't feel the bass, but it is much less bloated than the EX71, and more detailed.

Quote:

i dont want to get stung trying to get a refund

HeadRoom has a 30 day guarantee with a full refund.

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cu3ed
Hi got a small question for anyone that might be in the know, its very simple.
I have an ipod, i listein to it EVERYWHERE, im currently using the sonys ( which ive used for years and at the price they can be bought at , i would happily recommend them to anyone), but i do like to get the best out of my music. So i have been looking at the Er6s, they like the job, and at a fir enough price, So just how much better will they be? Will they be able to handle the eq settings ( the more bassy ones) better then the sonys?, they give my alot of crakling and distortion when i try with them!!!!
Sorry to ask such a small thing but i have no option but to buy them online, and i dont want to get stung trying to get a refund. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, thanks.

wait, from what I gather, you have the ex71 and find that it does not have enough bass and have to use the ipod's bass heavy settings? I don't think the distortion is due to the ex71 but rather the equalizer in the ipod. In that case, I don't think getting an ER6 will do much more than to reveal more distortion. Perhaps search for reviews on the sharp hp-md33 as they are like a refined version of the ex71. If you think the ex71 does not have enough bass, then I don't think the ER6 will be any better for you.

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 28
thanks for the info guys, looks like ill need to do abit more thinking before i go spending my money, I really like the "in ear" type headphones so if u have any recommendations, i would really consider them.
Thanks again for ure help.

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

thanks for the info guys, looks like ill need to do abit more thinking before i go spending my money, I really like the "in ear" type headphones so if u have any recommendations, i would really consider them.
Thanks again for ure help.

Check out the Shure E2's, they have much more bass than the Ety's, although they lack in the higher end frequencies.

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 28
It must be a sign, my sony went a buggery on me think the wear and tear on the jack has taken its toll, from what i can make out the wires have broken inside the wire, hey cant complain i go about 4 years at least out of them lol. STILL cant make up my mind what to go for AGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!.
confused.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 28
E2s. Definitely

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 28
LOL not helping guys, the headphones have completely had it. That means when im on the bus tomorrow i WONT BE ABLE TO LISTEN TO MY IPOD AGHHHHHH, I need to order sommin now, so what is it guys the shure E2s' or the er 6s!?!?!?

Jun 18, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 28
I've not heard the E2's, but the er6's were better than the Shure e3's to my ears. I found the er6 to have an honesty and the e3's to have a fatiguing element. I've talked about it so much already though that I must sound very anti-Shure. But I really tried to like them. I ordered and returned them twice.
frown.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Will they be able to handle the eq settings ( the more bassy ones) better then the sonys?, they give my alot of crakling and distortion when i try with them!!!!

That's the fault of the iPod, not the EX71. The iPod is well documented for having an absolutely crappy equalizer. I would urge you to get headphones that produce sound the way you'd like it, such that you can avoid one of the crappier aspects of the iPod.

Jun 19, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by dotslashconfig
That's the fault of the iPod, not the EX71. The iPod is well documented for having an absolutely crappy equalizer. I would urge you to get headphones that produce sound the way you'd like it, such that you can avoid one of the crappier aspects of the iPod.

It's only crappy in the sense that it's not very configurable.

Also, in response to the original poster, get the E2 rather than the ER6, the ER4P doesn't have much bass (although it has very very clear bass) so if you want that you'll have to find it elsewhere. [I'm assuming the ER6 wil be similar to the ER4]

I really like the HP -33MD though, but I've never heard the E2 so I can't compare to those.

Jun 19, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #15 of 28
I disagree.
I just got E2Cs, and they sound way too much like modded EX71s to be worth it.
They're just slightly less harsh in the treble, but almost everything else is almost the same.
On the other hand, the ER-6s are really clear and detailed, and have enough bass for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back