Etymotic ER-4S Custom Tip Poll and Questions
Mar 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

luisdent

Headphoneus Supremus
I wanted to ask a few questions about getting custom tips for my ER-4S and have a poll as well.

First, would everyone agree that you will achieve at "least" the same sound quality as the triple flange tips when you get customs?  I'd like to stick with the ACS/Microsonics customs as those are part of the etymotic program and the ones I'll be getting (Microsonics specifically).

Second, there seem to be mixed reviews on the isolation.  Is it at least as good as the triple flange tips or worse?  How much worse/better if so?

Third, overall would you recommend the custom tips or the stock triple flange? (see poll)

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 10
In terms of SQ, ACS sleeves are horrible. Out of four castings, none of them came close to the resonance properties of stock sleeves. IOW insertion depth was way too shallow. On top of that, bore length on both channels did not match either.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
In terms of SQ, ACS sleeves are horrible. Out of four castings, none of them came close to the resonance properties of stock sleeves. IOW insertion depth was way too shallow. On top of that, bore length on both channels did not match either.

Mine won't be ACS.  They are microsonics.

May 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Mine won't be ACS.  They are microsonics.

It appears that microsonics is the same deal.  They were horrible.  Huge treble spike.  See this thread for more details:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/1305#post_9428708

May 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 10
OP: Did you end up getting them made? Was thinking about getting some made myself. The guys at the ACS office in NYC will make the molds for free, and when I called Ety a week ago the guy said he got his molds done at ACS and they turned out good. Was hoping I could pick them up myself, to save on shipping. $65 to try out some customs doesn't seem to bad. Decisions, decisions.

May 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 10
I've heard both good and bad about both acs and microsonics.  I have microsonics available where my audiologist is.  I've had the tips created twice with different issues and now they remolded my ears for a third set of tips to be made.  I'm slightly optimistic, because the last pair did in fact sound closer to the triple flange, but they didn't stay sealed in my ears.

Hopefully this next set will have the same sound changes in place while also fitting properly.  I'm not sure if it's possible with my ears or not, but we'll see.  I'm praying I'm not out all that money for nothing.  I have a bad feeling they wouldn't reimburse me, even though I would feel they never delivered a good product.  We'll see.  Etymotic has been excellent.  They have handled the exchange and testing and everything.  Microsonics makes the tips though, so we're in their hands now.

Would I do it again?  Probably not, unless the last set I receive turns out to be the same quality as the triple flange and also feel amazing.  I just have a bad feeling they can't make them much closer than they are in both areas.  We'll see....  I'm hoping they prove me wrong...  Would i buy from etymotic again?  Absolutely...

May 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 10
Hope they work out for you. I agree I have nothing but praise for Ety and their service/product. I figure if I get ACS to make the impressions, it will be easier to get redone if it doesn't come out right. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back