Etymotic ER 4's and comfort
Aug 7, 2002 at 12:25 PM Post #46 of 58
rohorn,

Some people can disentegrate hearing aids shells and turn PVC earmold tubing hard in a short period of time.

As far as I know the yellow three flanged plugs are the same other than color additives.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Nov 22, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #47 of 58
I just received my pair of ER-4Ps, and I am unable to get a good seal with the silicone tips provided. I can pretty much shove them in such that they are flush with the surface of my ear, but still no seal and no bass. Foamies are much better, but I understand they're not as durable and are a bit abrasive going in and coming out.

My question is has anyone who can't get a good seal with the default silicone tips been able to get a better seal with the larger silicone tips sold separately on Etymotic's website? I am experiencing some problems with Etymotic's site loading anything but the Flash navigation, so I don't recall what other tips might be offered.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 22, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #49 of 58
We are having some major problems with our web site. The providers host computer crashed again, destroying a great deal of all of the sites that were on it. I don't know where it sits yet.

I am not sure what other eartips you are thinking of using with the ER-4.

We are looking at some other foam eartips for use with the ER-4. Some people are using the Comply canal tips. These tips have a skin on the outside of the foam which is a somewhat softer.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Nov 22, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Did you moisten the silicone tips before inserting?

Yes, I did moisten them. I even moistened my ear canal with a very thin application of alcohol but to no avail. I actually have no problems with comfort, and the silicone tips go in as deep as they can. I wonder if my ear canals are too large to attain a seal with the regular silicone tips.

d_wilson: I don't recall exactly, but I thought that you guys sold various size tips of both the silicone and the foam kinds. Is this not correct? I had hoped this was the case as I was hoping that the larger silicone (white) tips would provide the desired seal. Thanks.

Nov 22, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #51 of 58
Do you have an ER-4, or and ER-6?

The ER-6 has clear (well mostly) two flanged silicone eartips. The ER-4 has white three flanged eartips.

The three flanged eartip tends to fit more ears than the one on the ER-6.

We sell three different sized foam eartips for the ER-4.

They come in 10mm OD, 13mm OD (STD), and 17mm (large).

We sell many eartips for other products, but unfortunately they don't fit the ER-4.

I can e-mail you a picture if you wish.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson
Do you have an ER-4, or and ER-6?

They come in 10mm OD, 13mm OD (STD), and 17mm (large).

I have the ER-4. Could you provide me with the diameter of the large white flanged tip's inner diameter, basically its diameter when it is compressed in my ear? Thanks.

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #53 of 58
The hole down the middle of th eartip is .076" (1.93mm). The flanges fold to the diameter of your ear.

The black foam eartips shipped with the ER-4 are the 13mm ones.

I am not sure if this is what you are asking.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Nov 22, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson
The hole down the middle of th eartip is .076" (1.93mm). The flanges fold to the diameter of your ear.

The black foam eartips shipped with the ER-4 are the 13mm ones.

I am not sure if this is what you are asking.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

I'm sorry. I mean to ask the diameter of the compressed tip and the diameter of tip shaft for the larger white flanged silicone tip. The black foam tips shipped expand to provide a better seal than the white silicone tips despite them both being the same size, apparently. I've attached a rough diagram of the white flange tip to better reference what I'm trying to describe.

By the way, do you know when your site will be back up? I might be interested in purchasing the larger white flanged tips, and your web site is the only place that I know which carries them. Thanks.

Nov 22, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #56 of 58
Just an update: I was glad to experiment with custom molds for comparatively little money. But in my view, custom molds are a nuisance to all but those who really need them. I had mine done twice just to be sure. I used them for about two weeks, went back to silicone and foam and haven't used earmolds since.

And people are right: The 4S sounds more detailed (esp. in the high register) than the 4P. And I haven't had any trouble driving them, either -- with or without an amp.

Nov 22, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #57 of 58
I don't know yet when our site will be back up.

You can place a phone orde through usl, or order them through one of the distributors such as Headroom.

There should have been three pair of the white three flanged eartips in the case when you purchased the ER-4's.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research
847-228-0006

Users who are viewing this thread

Back