Etymotic ER 4's and comfort
Aug 2, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #16 of 58
Alright, this threads in a flaming nosedive, everyone, grab your chutes (and cans) and jump !
eek.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Thanks a million for your vote!

Hey, you're a natural ! Polls predict landslide victory
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #19 of 58
Compared with the ER-6, I find the ER-4s alot more comfortable, easier to seal & get used to. I got used to it after only 2 days use on the silicone tips
biggrin.gif
. I haven't tried the foam tips yet though.

I don't need to lubricate the tips before insertion, however I do gently twist them in slightly in order to get a good seal which works for me.

One thing I don't appreciate though is the 'microphonic' effect which is really annoying to me
mad.gif
& is a distraction to the great sound.

Aug 2, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
Compared with the ER-6, I find the ER-4s alot more comfortable, easier to seal & get used to. I got used to it after only 2 days use on the silicone tips
biggrin.gif
. I haven't tried the foam tips yet though.

I don't need to lubricate the tips before insertion, however I do gently twist them in slightly in order to get a good seal which works for me.

One thing I don't appreciate though is the 'microphonic' effect which is really annoying to me
mad.gif
& is a distraction to the great sound.

I've never had the opportunity to try the ER-6's, but on my first set of ER-4P silicone tips I hacked off the first flange (smallest tip) as I thought they were going too far in. They of course now resembled ER-6 tips. But I was doubting my seal (sort of come and go) so I went back to using full tips and I'm finding them more comfortable now and I'm not having a problem with the seal at all.

As far as lubrication goes, hey wait a minute, I thought this was a family board
tongue.gif

N@Z, the microphonic effect is getting to me as well. It's not an issue on the train, but just walking really causes a distraction. You might want to check out the replacement cables offered here -> http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm I'm thinking about it...

Aug 2, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 58
Oil & rubber? Baad idea. Oil will soak thru anything and then migrate down the plastic into the driver most likely. Vaseline & rubber is fine. Wait... we're talking about Etys? nevermind...

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #22 of 58
The microphonic effect is something that I've learned to accept if I use my ER-4P's for walking, although the "thump, thump" occlusion effect is a bit more disturbing. Of course, if I try anything else around noisy traffic, I don't get isolation.

It's a case of taking what little bad there is when using the Etys for moving with a LOT that's great when you have them inserted into your ears.

I think ER designed these to be used more for stationary situations moreso than active wear. Still, I'm in love.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
The microphonic effect is something that I've learned to accept if I use my ER-4P's for walking, although the "thump, thump" occlusion effect is a bit more disturbing. Of course, if I try anything else around noisy traffic, I don't get isolation.

It's a case of taking what little bad there is when using the Etys for moving with a LOT that's great when you have them inserted into your ears.

I think ER designed these to be used more for stationary situations moreso than active wear. Still, I'm in love.
biggrin.gif

I couldn't agree more, on all points. Just yesterday I was listening to a live recording of classical guitar. The isolation and pure wonderful sound was bliss on the train. But when my ride ended and I started walking, well let's say my footsteps totally impeded on the soft frail guitar.

But hey, they can't be beat. I might check into that fixup.net cable replacement though, reported to be much less "microphonic".

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #24 of 58
The ER4 (P and S) sound much better than the ER-6; however, I find the ER-6 to be much more comfortable because of the smaller tips, and they are definitely not as microphonic.

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
The ER4 (P and S) sound much better than the ER-6; however, I find the ER-6 to be much more comfortable because of the smaller tips, and they are definitely not as microphonic.

Hi MacDEF,

You might want to try cutting off that first flange (the small tip) on the ER4 silicone tip. They then resemble the ER6 tips. (don't know if they fit the same) I did that to my first pair as I felt they went into my ear too far. I did eventually go back to the standard full tips when I was more comfortable with them and got a better seal.

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #26 of 58
Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately, I'm not a rubber-tip user... I've had Etys for about five or six years, and I've never been able to get a good seal or any comfort from the rubber tips. I've come to the conclusion that it's because my ear canals are shaped a bit funny. I have to use the foamies
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #27 of 58
What's that saying, it's our differences that unite us ? We must celebrate the diversity of our ear canals... lest I fear the rubber/foamie issue will rip this planet in half.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, must'a bumped my head there for a minute. I tried the foamies early on and really like the way they felt. I don't remember if they sounded substantially different (though there are those who say they do) but I just couldn't deal with them. It was much easier for me to keep the silicone ones clean and I imagine they'd last a lot longer. Are the foamies killing you cashwise ?

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #29 of 58
That's pretty creative of you.

I wonder if the Ety robot suffers from any microphonics...
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #30 of 58
Replacement cables - I hate to be a wuss, but I HATE soldering anything, espicially something so expensive and so small.

The microphonic effect hasn't really bothered me. When walking, if you use the clip right, keeping the cable away from your body, the pounding you hear is minimized.

You could also try wearing sneaker more... or perhaps doing the kung fu walk on the rice paper technique, eh grasshopper?
evil_smiley.gif

Besides, if you are walking in an airport, I would advise NOT wearing the Ety's. Believe me, you don't want that isolation when FAA security yells out "EVERYBODY ON THE FLOOR". Would you want to be the only one standing with the al-Qaida dudes?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back