Etymotic ER-4P's, NEW LOOK??
Jan 3, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #61 of 186
Yes, I work for Etymotic, and my name on the ER-4 patent. I started as a student in college, lets just say a long time ago.

I meant to comment on the other thread, but haven't had time. It is funny how these things grow out of proportion. I do need to set our sales staff straight on the difference between the ER-4 and the Altec Lansing product. The iM 716 bass boost just adjusts the bass without changing the sensitivity of the overall unit.

There aren't any dual driver versions in our near future. The only reason for one would be to increase low frequency headroom. The real problem is the iPOD's low frequency roll off. With a good flat source you shouldn't have any low frequency output problems until its turned up too loud.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Jan 3, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #62 of 186
Cool, so I am glad I got the er4's instead of the Altecs.
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #63 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_wilson
Yes, I work for Etymotic, and my name on the ER-4 patent. I started as a student in college, lets just say a long time ago.

Wow! Your name on the patent? That is very cool. The ER-4 definitely deserves them!

Quote:

There aren't any dual driver versions in our near future. The only reason for one would be to increase low frequency headroom. The real problem is the iPOD's low frequency roll off. With a good flat source you shouldn't have any low frequency output problems until its turned up too loud.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

I double underline near future. I hope in the further future, we will see dual driver versions! I'm not complaining about my ER-4, it's just that I'd like to see what an Ety dual-driver IEM would sound like!

W00t! 300 posts!

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #64 of 186
Do you need a dual driver IEM, or did some marketing genius convince you that two drivers are better than one?

The arguement for multiple drivers holds water when there are physical limitations to filling a large room with sound, and not a 1.4cc volume in your ear canal.

What do you plan to gain from dual driver?

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #65 of 186
Quote:

I meant to comment on the other thread, but haven't had time. It is funny how these things grow out of proportion. I do need to set our sales staff straight on the difference between the ER-4 and the Altec Lansing product. The iM 716 bass boost just adjusts the bass without changing the sensitivity of the overall unit.

Hi. May I ask if the IM716 are 90% of the ER4 (in terms of quality)? How much better are the Er4 compared to the IM716 in terms of sound quality, not bass? Thanks

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #66 of 186
Don,
Thanks for taking the time to post and for the clarifications on the color/design changes. I really like the all black look, but still love my "old fashioned" red/blue 4P and 4S as well.
etysmile.gif
Again, thanks for helping us forum folks out!

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #67 of 186
hi Don, i'd like your response on improving on the microphonics of the Er4ps cable and also redesigning the driver housing and or weak transducer tubes that if experienced on 2 occasions (in less then 3 weeks apart) and the problems many others have experienced. I've heard you say i can quote you saying they are made of very durable plastic material, i recall you saying they are lexan material. If you are telling me they should stand up for along time and be durable enough material for what they are designed to do and be...then why have i experienced (twice) cracked tubes? after babying them and never did a filter change? I think a great design lesson can be learned from Shure with the E4Cs, which, i now own these stems are replaceable and seem very solid in relation to Etymotic...for whatever reason but being able to replace the stem if it cracks is terrific design. So, i'm wondering if designs can be implemented into the ER4Ps?

problem cracks with er4p stems
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109892

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #69 of 186
Quote:

Do you need a dual driver IEM, or did some marketing genius convince you that two drivers are better than one?

The arguement for multiple drivers holds water when there are physical limitations to filling a large room with sound, and not a 1.4cc volume in your ear canal.

IMO, when people ask for dual drivers, they really are asking for better bass. And there are people (IMO) who would be willing to pay more $ to get it. But how it's implemented (duel driver or not) should be left to Ety.

[Edit: Removed sig.]

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #70 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
IMO, when people ask for dual drivers, they really are asking for better bass. And there are people (IMO) who would be willing to pay more $ to get it. But how it's implemented (duel driver or not) should be left to Ety.

[Edit: Removed sig.]

Alwayswantmore,

Yes I agree with your assessment, leave it up to Ety.

I don’t know about the tiny drivers implemented in earphones, but conventional drivers have a ‘sweet-spot’ in their frequency range. Below those frequencies the drivers roll-off, and above them they roll-off and break-up (resonant frequency nodes). We all know that.

One aspect about single driver speakers is that all the frequencies come from a single source. The concept being that if someone is speaking (or singing) to you, all the frequencies come from a single point in space, not disjointed as the frequency changes. (Honestly, your brain can compensate for this more or less.) Purists prefer this one speaker approach and use such techniques as transmission line speakers to reinforce and extend the lower frequencies (obviously not applicable to earphones). But loading a room with a single speaker approach is difficult and frequency response is generally unacceptable for most people.

Another aspect about multi driver systems is the additional electronics required for the crossover. These can degrade sound and wreak havoc with phase. Imaging and soundstage are also affected by phase anomalies. Although more difficult to implement, some designers utilize 1st order crossovers and physically space the individual drivers of the speaker so they remain (generally) in phase.

Again, I don’t know how well these aspects transfer to earphones, but the point is there will be compromises involved in all multi-driver systems. Perhaps even a loss of the transient response that gives a sense of intimacy and magic to the sound.

One caveat is that these ‘purist’ aspects are also highly dependent upon the quality of the source and may be less problematic with portable systems than home gear.

So yes, leave it up to Ety.

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #71 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore

I would like to modify my earlier statement...
I had a major breakthrough last night. As much as I thought I was getting a good fit with the Etys, I was wrong. In another thread, a headfier provided a link to an old thread on proper insertion. Look at the picture below (borrowed from this thread)...

Etyplugright.jpg

Properly inserted the cables run close to the ear and pretty much in a vertical position. After experimenting in front of a mirror, I was able to get another 1/8" or so in depth, and a better angle. The sound has improved in all areas. I now see why people love their Etys!

Link to the original thread.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #73 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Alwayswantmore are your ety's the old style cable?

Let's define old style: I receieved mine about a week ago, so they have the newer braided cable. They are the red / blue shown on Etys web site, not the new all black style. The color coding works well for knowing which ear is which. So I am happy with what I received.

[Edit: The picture in the earlier post is not me -- as I believe the IEMs pictured are either an S or an older P???]

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #74 of 186
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, when you designed the ER4B/S/P what did you use as a reference system? Your website says that the ER4S series is 86% to 92% accurate. What does it mean to be 100% accurate?

I've also been curious about the ER4B's (I own a ER4P's with the P to S converter cable). Is there an equalization curve that approximates the B type?

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #75 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
I'm guessing the made it all black to give it a stealthier look, as in my opinion the old blue and red ends really made then stand out. Hmm... guess time for a new ER4 smiley
etysmile.gif

All right you anal retentive, headphone obsessed geeks, has anybody ever noticed that our ER4 Smiley has his Ety's on backwards? Our 580 Smiley, however, seems to know the drill. Is this some kind of "veiled" commentary from the great Smiley Creator?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back