Etymotic ER-4P vs ER-6i vs HF5
Sep 25, 2008 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

oldschool

500+ Head-Fier
My iPod along with my ER-6i's got stolen recently. I will be buying the new Classic 120GB and I am also looking for new IEM's.

I was pretty happy with the 6i's. I am wondering if I should spend almost twice the amoung and go for the 4P's.
I am concerned about the output level, seems to be a little lower than the 6i, and I do listen without amplification to some recordings from CD sources with quiet mastering.

Also, how does the bass on 4P compare to 6i?

And what about those new hf5 IEMs? They cost as much as the 4P's.

Sep 25, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone?

I have both the ER6 (not 6i) and the HF2 (the headset version of the HF5). I have tried both the 6i and the 4P.

Although I don't hear much difference in SQ between the ER6 and HF2, it is way easier to get a good seal (for me) with the tri-flanges on the HF2 than it ever was with the ER6, which means the great sound is more consistent.

In fact, the HF2 out of my iPhone sounds nearly as good to me as my K701 out of my Headfive. The HF2 also looks really subtle but feels durable and well-made. The ER4P isn't good enough for me to take that next step in comparison, especially for portable use.

--Chris

Sep 25, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 15
Sep 26, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks. I am leaning towards the 4P, as it comes with more accessories and seems to be a well regarded performer.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 15
not to dig up old dirt, but if the OP is still paying attention to this, the ER-4P have the most godawful cable ever created.

Too long, too heavy, has that annoying "pod" at the Y-split and is incredibly microphonic. The way the earphones are designed, as well, prevent over-the-ear use. The cable's so damn heavy that it tended to yank the earphones hard enough to break the seal when worn over-the-ear.

I found the increase in "detail" (read: high frequency emphasis, and sibilance) from the 6i to the 4P to be more annoying and fatiguing than enjoyable. Your mileage may vary, however.

Some people love the 4Ps, and on some albums, they're outstanding, especially soft, airy songs with female vocals. But portable headphones should be able to eat anything I throw at them, and a whole lot of metal I listen to becomes nails-on-a-chalkboard. I don't like having to leave Arcturus off my MP3 player because the sibilance makes me want to kill myself when played through the ER-4P.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 15
If you want portable headphones that are able to eat anything you throw at them, there is the ER-4S.

Nov 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want portable headphones that are able to eat anything you throw at them, there is the ER-4S.

I kind of agree with you, but I doubt synaesthetic would, because ER-4S has even more high frequency emphasis than the ER-4P. (And then there's the ER-4B too, which are even brighter...)

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 15
I have been trying to decide between these two (HF5/ER-4P) as well. I was leaning towards the ER-4P since I like highs and bright sounds, but am bothered by all the cable issues with the ER-4P. Is it really that bad with regards to weight and microphonics?

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkfizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been trying to decide between these two (HF5/ER-4P) as well. I was leaning towards the ER-4P since I like highs and bright sounds, but am bothered by all the cable issues with the ER-4P. Is it really that bad with regards to weight and microphonics?

It's not a big problem if you use the shirt clip and don't run with them. I get some microphonics if the cable rubs against zippers when walking. I would have preferred over-the-ear style, as it petty much eliminates the problem.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 15
If you're going to drive them right out of an iPod, you'll want the ER-4P (versus the ER-4S). The ER-4P has a lower impeadance (easier to drive and they don't require an amp to sound their best).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back