Etymotic ER-4P .... lacking of bass, need advice please
Jan 5, 2008 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

kenta

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

this is though my first thread in this forum, I have been sticking around reading all your post more than half a year now. I wish, at last joining the forum would help me understand things better and gain full advantage over my earphones. Thanks you guys in advance.
wink.gif

I got my new Etymotic ER-4P today, after long read and research through this forum and internet. With full of confidence I try this thing out and found that there is no bass at all, well the treble and mid-range are fantastic - clearer and brighter than anything I've tried - just the bass is horrible. Don't get me wrong that I came from a group of boom box street-sider and love to shake my head with bass. I listen mostly to jazz, alternative, pop and classic. I like so much a wide sound stage with clear image of individual instrument with tight and controlled bass response.

I used prior ER-4P a Sony MDR EX90LP and some nice headphones. I move from EX90 to ER-4P with full of hope to find a holy grail, as it obtains so much prestige. But today, I still feel that EX90LP gives a better bass-balance ( I know you guys will object ... but this is what I feel honestly ). Although EX90LP gives more bass, it is rather blur and sometimes muddy and not quite tight, at least the bass is there but not the case of ER-4P.

I am wondering if there is anything I should know about ER-4P. Maybe I need burn-in or anything in particular to obtain its full potential ? I believe fitting ER-4P into my ears is not an issue, while I have tried anything possibility to get it fit already, including the foam eartip. I wish the current owners or anyone would give me suggestion on this matter. Many many thanks.

Best regards,
Kenta
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 64
There is no need to burn in a pair of balance armature IEM. In the case of ER4, you won't find much of any difference before and after burn-in.

Using Ety is a love or hate thing, so maybe it is just not for your taste. I will recommend you either 1) try a pair of Q-jay (and maybe return your Ety). 2) EQ, or 3) get a warm amp.

BTW, what is your source?

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 64
What amp do you drive it with? If it's the headphone output of a DAP, then it could be due to its undersized coupling capacitors which penalize low-impedance loads in the form of a bass drop-off.

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 64
The ER4 is one of the leanest on bass and takes some getting use to to appreciate the quality more than the quantity.

I would suggest exchanging them for Super Fi Pros which will have a significant amount more oomph and bass. From what you are use to Etys might not be for you.

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no need to burn in a pair of balance armature IEM. In the case of ER4, you won't find much of any difference before and after burn-in.

Using Ety is a love or hate thing, so maybe it is just not for your taste. I will recommend you either 1) try a pair of Q-jay (and maybe return your Ety). 2) EQ, or 3) get a warm amp.

BTW, what is your source?

I am using Creative Zen Vision as source. Normally I am satisfied with the balance of the player when I used it with the other headphones. I just tried to tweak EQ in the Zen with some kind of odd curve, high on the left and flat from mid to high. I think mid to high of ER-4P is well balanced already. Well, the result is much better. The bass is now existing though still lacking of deep low. It is a bit too tight IMO. I test it with some classical music to find a balance between DR. For classical music I like the way timpani gives the bass, at first powerful tight and slowly disappears to the surrounding. This ER-4P can not represent the disappearance of the bass well as I would like.

Maybe, I set a wrong EQ ...
confused.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER4 is one of the leanest on bass and takes some getting use to to appreciate the quality more than the quantity.

I would suggest exchanging them for Super Fi Pros which will have a significant amount more oomph and bass. From what you are use to Etys might not be for you.

I first thought about getting Tripple.fi 10 Pro instead of ER-4P. But I could not imagine how much lacking of the bass ER-4P would be. ... Maybe I have to re-consider Triple.fi 10 Pro again ?

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 64
I think you should double check to see you are getting a good seal. Without that the bass is going to sound like crap. If they will fit try the tips off your Sony's since you may fit you well. If not experiment with some other tips. With a good seal the bass on the Ety's is quite decent, not boomy for sure, but quite present.

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp do you drive it with? If it's the headphone output of a DAP, then it could be due to its undersized coupling capacitors which penalize low-impedance loads in the form of a bass drop-off.

I use Zen Vision as source currently. Is it the case that Zen Vision might exaggerate the lacking of bass of ER-4P ?

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should double check to see you are getting a good seal. Without that the bass is going to sound like crap. If they will fit try the tips off your Sony's since you may fit you well. If not experiment with some other tips. With a good seal the bass on the Ety's is quite decent, not boomy for sure, but quite present.

I am trying all of suggestions stated here. Thanks for another input, I am finding the cause.
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 64
Well there's no boom bass but the ER4p's are nowhere near the no bass at all you described. Asuming you've tried them with amps as you said you have some headphones, so if you've got a good fit with them then maybe they are not your cup of tea.
When comes to the burn-in I think they are much more for ears than headphones.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 64
The ER-4 belongs to the head-/earphones with the greatest low-bass extension. I think the Zen Vision is one of many DAPs which suffer from early bass drop-off with low-impedance headphones. I little extra serial resistance (~ 30 ohm -- which makes it an ER-4X) might help, though.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 64
Fit, Fit, Fit... Just make sure you have a tight seal. Even still, honestly the ER-4P bass is very detailed as opposed to impactful. To me it sounds amazing, but there have been times when I am on the road and just want to have fun, that I do boost bass on either my PR-II (which by the way make an amazing combination with the bass boost the PR-II is capable of) or my Xin Supermini - III.

The truth is that is a matter of fit + either getting used to the bass or equalizing it a bit for certain occasions.

I also have the Triple-fi, and it has a lot of bass and in that sense it can sometimes be more enjoyable when you are walking around or riding a train or plane. However, IMHO they don't have that "Ety magic." Only the Ety's when I am at home and I am listening to something can simply floor me with their detail and presentation. The Triple.fi is actually exquisitely detailed, but there is something about how they present the music that makes me use them more with "fun" music and in situations where the music is just an adjunct to something else. The ER-4P is something I can use when I am just sitting somewhere and seriously listening to music.

I got a pair of Triple.fis because I broke my Etys, but honestly I still miss my Etys and I want to get them repaired soon.

EDIT: Also, yes since bass extension was mentioned, the Etys are simply amazing in extension. With an amp like the PR-II you can slightly tip up the lowest octave to emphasize that wonderful extension. Even without an amp like the PR-II the extension of the Etys is a great thing. Adding exactly 75ohm will make your ER-4P into ER-4S and will solve your bass roll-off issues, at the cost of lower maximum volume.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER-4 belongs to the head-/earphones with the greatest low-bass extension. I think the Zen Vision is one of many DAPs which suffer from early bass drop-off with low-impedance headphones. I little extra serial resistance (~ 30 ohm -- which makes it an ER-4X) might help, though.

You may right on this ... if iPod classic G6 would suffer from bass drop-off as well ?

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fit, Fit, Fit... Just make sure you have a tight seal. Even still, honestly the ER-4P bass is very detailed as opposed to impactful. To me it sounds amazing, but there have been times when I am on the road and just want to have fun, that I do boost bass on either my PR-II (which by the way make an amazing combination with the bass boost the PR-II is capable of) or my Xin Supermini - III.

The truth is that is a matter of fit + either getting used to the bass or equalizing it a bit for certain occasions.

I also have the Triple-fi, and it has a lot of bass and in that sense it can sometimes be more enjoyable when you are walking around or riding a train or plane. However, IMHO they don't have that "Ety magic." Only the Ety's when I am at home and I am listening to something can simply floor me with their detail and presentation. The Triple.fi is actually exquisitely detailed, but there is something about how they present the music that makes me use them more with "fun" music and in situations where the music is just an adjunct to something else. The ER-4P is something I can use when I am just sitting somewhere and seriously listening to music.

I got a pair of Triple.fis because I broke my Etys, but honestly I still miss my Etys and I want to get them repaired soon.

EDIT: Also, yes since bass extension was mentioned, the Etys are simply amazing in extension. With an amp like the PR-II you can slightly tip up the lowest octave to emphasize that wonderful extension. Even without an amp like the PR-II the extension of the Etys is a great thing. Adding exactly 75ohm will make your ER-4P into ER-4S and will solve your bass roll-off issues, at the cost of lower maximum volume.

I have to agree on you about the amount of details ER-4P can produce. I try to set EQ which tends to boost some low, and it is better. While I leave the EQ from mid to high flat, ER-4P give right amount of balance in mid nicely. Regarding bass extension, I am still working on it. Bass extension is not that much right now ... any trick for that?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back