Etymotic ER-4P Comfort?
Nov 27, 2009 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Pinnipeds

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I don't have the biggest ear canals, but not the very smallest.

I have seen rave reviews about the Etymotic ER-4P's, but I am seriously doubting the comfort level. Comfort is a very big factor for me, so if these are not comfortable, I'd probably go for a different pair.

Do these have foam eartips, and would those help?

If these are bad for me, I'm probably going with the Yuin OK1's, or PK1's.

Thanks,

-Pinnipeds

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 17
It depends on your ears and how deep they get in

For me, using double flange tips (cutting the end flange on a triple flange tip) on the ER4 is way more comfortable than anything else i've ever tried.

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 17
Yes the comfort is a very personal thing so only you can answer this after trying them out with a selection of tips. I have no problem at all inserting them DEEP using either black olives or the new complys with wax guards. Can have them in 5-6 hours at a time.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 17
Like customs, at first they can be uncomfortable - but repeated use and, as has been posted, the right tips to a deep insertion produces that much sought after SQ and comfort combo.

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 17
I think they are very comfortable but they do stick a bit so if you are doing other tasking they aren't as good as other IEM's whose cables are meant to go over the ear.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the comfort is a very personal thing so only you can answer this after trying them out with a selection of tips. I have no problem at all inserting them DEEP using either black olives or the new complys with wax guards. Can have them in 5-6 hours at a time.

Thanks.

Because of this I'm choosing the ER-4P's and grabbing a pair of the TX-100's!

Can't wait!

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 17
The ER4p and Comply tips are a great pairing. For my ears, the Comply foams are a bit more comfortable than the Shure olives (though less durable).

Have fun!

Nov 27, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 17
I don't mean to be negative but I found the ER4 to be the least comfortable earphone I've ever owned. The earphones are held in the canal by squeezing them forward until they get stuck. To get a good seal, I had to really screw them in, further than any other earphone I'd ever owned. That's not a pleasant experience. The only thing holding them in place is the canal itself, which makes for some wonderful microphonics. I hated having these toothpicks sticking out of my ears, just waiting for some practical joker to smack them straight through my eardrums.

I liked the crystalline sound of the ER4 but I could never get enough bass, not even with an M^3 headphone amp and the sensation of having these earphones shoved that far into my earcanals was a craptastic experience. Your experience may be completely different, but in terms of ergonomics, I found these to suck.

Nov 27, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 17
I love them. I just received mine two days ago, and I think with the comply foams they are the best things ever. That also goes for the hf5, which I also own. If you get over the mental part about shoving something all the way into your ear, it melts away. If fact, I am using them now, and feel no discomfort. I know they are there (they do not disappear), but they cause no problems or anything what would make me want to remove them.

Again, just remember that comfort is the main place where YYMV is an understatement. It will vary.

-Nkk

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 17
for me isolation is of great importance so the er-4p is my favorite IEM...the silence they produce from the outside world combined with the incredible realism of the music they produce combine to make a great listening experience....

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 17
I'll say this for the ER4. Those who love this IEM love it bigtime. It has a loyal fanbase (and I mean that in the good sense). For those for whom this monitor clicks, it's not just a good IEM. It's the best.

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll say this for the ER4. Those who love this IEM love it bigtime. It has a loyal fanbase (and I mean that in the good sense). For those for whom this monitor clicks, it's not just a good IEM. It's the best.

I totally agree. I have had quite a few IEM's and the ER4s is a keeper.
Sure there are other phones out there that are better at this and that, and there are quite a few that I really respect. But the ER4 is the one phone I think everyone should have. And for the asking price these days it's a no brainer.

To the OP: Enjoy!

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 17
I am also thinking about geting the ER-4 to go with my iphone 3Gs > cable pro new low profile reverie lod > RSA Shadow. After reading your comments I think that I am going for it, but I think that the ER-4s would be better for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back