Etymotic ER-4P Appreciation Thread
Nov 5, 2010 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KUNFUCHOPSTICKS

100+ Head-Fier
Want to start this dedicated thread to this classic and still the standard in IEM.
What a great piece after all these years, SQ is still unmatched to this day!

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm surprised that there is no appreciation thread for these already. I of course got mine very late in the game (about a month ago) -- I guess I figured that they were so "old' that the sound couldn't be up to par anymore. I was very wrong. I love them -- once I got over the bit about wearing them straight down and using a shirt clip.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 12
Here's a good list of members who have/had the ER4. The OP is MIA.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/212668/etym-tic-iem-owners-headcount-are-you-one

...and an appreciation thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/133844/etymotic-er4p-s-appreciation-thread

etysmile.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 12
Since I've owned mine about at least 50 heaphones/iems have come through my possesion. One thing I can say for sure is that my er4ps are never going anywhere. Are they the best I've ever listened to. No, but they are one set of iems that I could never be without. All of these years later they are still something both unique and special.

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Since I've owned mine about at least 50 heaphones/iems have come through my possesion. One thing I can say for sure is that my er4ps are never going anywhere. Are they the best I've ever listened to. No, but they are one set of iems that I could never be without. All of these years later they are still something both unique and special.

Yes indeed, that is exactly how I feel about the ER4s.  I will always have a pair.  Their sound is always very enjoyable to me.   The were the best for a lot of years.  Kind wish they would make their own version of a new "flagship" portable.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Ah, great times with those phones; I had them for the first part of this year and loved them. Amazing clarity and detail to the music. However they didn't give me the satisfaction that I could get across multiple genres.

I only really liked them for classical music.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 12

How does the ER-4P, a neutral iem, weigh up against the UM3X, also a neutral iem?

Two things
1. The um3xs are not neutral. They are detailed and have a very full sounding sound signature but the bass is way too overpowered.
2. I got it right after i sold the um3xs and although they were very detailed, the um3xs are a lot better all around; the er4p/s is just a little too "light weight" of an iem to be used with more than just classical or bass light genres. Don't get me wrong, the bass and mids are pretty accurate but the iems carry almost no weight or power to the music. The um3xs are great at doing that deepen depending on your oreferences in music.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 12
NECROBUMP
evil_smiley.gif

It took some brain-in, but I'm enjoying these. They actually have more bass than I expected. Guess I read too many "no bass" posts. If you want to appreciate them right away, just listen to stuff you're familiar with. I've already noticed things I haven't with other 'phones. Not that that detail isn't there with other 'phones, these just make it more obvious.

Well, apparently I have shallow ear canals, because these only go in about half way. I suppose I should have suspected this as I can only use double-flange tips with shallow-fitting 'phones and tri-flanges always "bottom out" on me. Can't get a seal with ANY of the silicon tips, so I'm begrudgingly using Complys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back