Etymotic ER-4 vs Shure SE530 vs Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro
Jun 11, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #31 of 44
OK, see edit
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #32 of 44
Thanks!

Do you know other IEMs that sound similar to the Triple.Fi?

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #33 of 44
can i just say i find this post a bit...pathetic actually. Cuz for one thing, the ER4 aren't even in the same league as the triple Fi and Shure Se530. I've owned all three (Sold ER4 and Triple Fi). anyways back to the comparison. the ER$ are very accurate on the highs, and pretty decent on the mid's and bass. But the Se530 thrashes the ER4's highs, and the triple Fi's just absolutely Humiliates and kills the ER4's highs. Mids? Shure Se530s murders the ER4 and the Triple Fi's are a bit better. Bass, the ER4 just completely lacks it, out of the game already. Shure Se530 deliver and very natural,Powerful, Warm and smooth bass. while the triple fi's have a Very Strong, and Punchy one. Comfort wise, the Shure Se530 are MOST comfortable then both. and the triple fi are the least Comfortable. Fit? ER4 May fit a lot of ears. BUT what's with ETYMOTIC? Thinking that they can fill everyones ears and Comfort with three stupid pairs of Triple Flange Tips? Out of the Game again. Triple Fi's come with a three pairs of black silicone tips ( Small, Medium and Large) and two pairs of light grey Foam Sleeves tips. But here's where the Se530 absolutely shines, it comes with One Pair of Triple Flange, Three Pairs of Grey Silicone (S, M, and L), and Four pairs of Black Foam Sleeves. (S, Mx2, and L). Price? Well, the ER4 may very well be the least expensive ($300), $100 less than the Triple Fi's and $150 less than the Se530, it's a far inferior product to the Triple Fi's and the Shure Se530. I would HIghly Recommend the Triple Fi's. But is ABSOLUTELY SAY THAT if you can afford a Se530, INSTANTLY GET IT! it's amazing. (My thought, i preferred the way that Shure combined the sound from the three drivers as to Ultimate ears way, and also the way the Shure's se530 sounded and comfort they had was just highly preferred over the ultimate ears by me). So overall, Etymotics ER4-7/10_____Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10-8.5/10_____________ Shure Se530/Se530PTH-9.5/10

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #34 of 44
antonyfirst;3105446 said:
ILikeMusic;3117926 said:
The Etys need bass EQ to sound their best and the E530 need some treble EQ to sound their best. Depends on which sound signature you like but IMO with appropriate EQ the E530 destroy the Etys. Quote:

I think exactly the opposite.

hmm...that's weird. Considering the high's and mid's are better on the Se530 ( Not talkinga bout sound signature, talking about clarity, accuracy, precision, and detail) compared to the Ety E4's. The Bass is no doubt much much better on the Se530...did you wear the Se530 properly? Put them in properly? Because, as far as i know. You're the first person EVER i have seen that thinks the Ety E4's sound better. and i'm a Audio Engineer...:S

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #35 of 44
MaoDi;4356605 said:
antonyfirst;3105446 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Etys need bass EQ to sound their best and the E530 need some treble EQ to sound their best. Depends on which sound signature you like but IMO with appropriate EQ the E530 destroy the Etys.

hmm...that's weird. Considering the high's and mid's are better on the Se530 ( Not talkinga bout sound signature, talking about clarity, accuracy, precision, and detail) compared to the Ety E4's. The Bass is no doubt much much better on the Se530...did you wear the Se530 properly? Put them in properly? Because, as far as i know. You're the first person EVER i have seen that thinks the Ety E4's sound better. and i'm a Audio Engineer...:S

Actually, I think the 4p sound better than the SE530 aswell. I cant take the high end of the SE530. The ER4P, In my opinion, have much more enjoyable highs. The highs rarely ever seem harsh or sibilant. The ER4P highs have much more extension, clarity, air, and transparency aswell. The bass of the SE530 I find to be a bit overwhelming sometimes( this is just my personal taste, still very solid though). Let's talk about midrange, both have a fairly solid midrange, although I think Shure does have a better midrange as they appear to be more dynamic in this area. Low End, both earphones have enjoyable low end, it just depends on what you like. The Etymotics have an amazingly tight, well controlled low end, while the SE530's have more bass and more bass detail. Its all about personal taste. To be honest, I think most people would prefer the low end of the SE530. My favorite headphone though, would have to be the Triple.fi however. The highs are IMO some of if not the BEST in the unversal fit IEM/Headphone world. This is one of the strong points of these earphones. Bass is tight and solid, and better than both Ety and Shure IMO. Mids are more laid back but are extremely enjoyable. The Shure and the Etymotic both have more prominent midrange than the triple.fi. Triple.fi seems to be more easy on the ears. I think this is one of the reasons why they image so well. For an IEM, Ive never heard anything that can image like these. This is probably the main reason why I like them so much.

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #36 of 44
Not to start an useless flame, but there's a lot of people who prefers the Etys to Shure E500. Anyway, neither is my cup of tea.

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're the first person EVER i have seen that thinks the Ety E4's sound better. and i'm a Audio Engineer...:S

Better make that 2 then....and I'm the Pink Tooth Fairy, but so what?

rolleyes.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #38 of 44
I have E500s and ER4P and much prefer the ER4P. I find the E500 (which I understand is identical to the SE530) has an overpowering bass, rolled off highs and lack of resolution. The Ety bass is accurate and tight, and highs are much smoother and more extended. Resolution is better and the sound is smoother. The only complaint I have with the Etys is that the highs have a little too much emphasis, but with the replacement cable from apuresound, this issue is largely resolved. I have just ordered some triple.fi 10 pros, so we will see how these compare.

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #39 of 44
Can i Just say. The shure's can do most of what the ER4 can do. It just only depends on what your music player is, what kind of files you're playing, what kind of genres of music you prefer, the sound signature you prefer. It's all up to personal Preference. The point i am trying to say is that, If the Shure can do pretty much everything the ER4 can do. Then how do they SOUND better? And the rolled off highs, and your opinion's Overwhelming Bass can be fixed with a slight EQ tweeking.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can i Just say. The shure's can do most of what the ER4 can do. It just only depends on what your music player is, what kind of files you're playing, what kind of genres of music you prefer, the sound signature you prefer. It's all up to personal Preference. The point i am trying to say is that, If the Shure can do pretty much everything the ER4 can do. Then how do they SOUND better? And the rolled off highs, and your opinion's Overwhelming Bass can be fixed with a slight EQ tweeking.

Very True

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #41 of 44
I agree it is largely personal preference in terms of presentation, of course.

But for me the Etys have more detail in treble (as do TF10) than the 530 - example: cymbals; Etys & Triples capture the metallic edge & sheen much better than 530, crispness in hi-hat rolls, detail in stick hit etc. To my ears. Etys do bring treble forward more than a strictly neutral presentation, but no argument there as Shure also is nowhere near neutral. They may well have a fun sound, but I'll take the more refined Triple Fi, or the clearer ER-4S any day.

ER-4, while not having (thank goodness) the sheer amount of bass as 530, does have detail and depth with its' low end. 530 has slam, granted. But too much so IMHO. And tho it has midrange in abundance, for me it is too much in-your-face, feels like 530 is whamming me about the head with mids...

Having heard all three (source: FLAC out of iRiver 120/140, amped w/ Hornet & Xin, & a Cowon D2 unamped. Music: jazz/orchestral/chamber/pop/rock), to my ears SE530 just does not cut it. It's a good IEM for sure (!) but whatever the magic is that others hear does not work for me.

Quote: "The shure's can do most of what the ER4 can do"

smily_headphones1.gif

(And...ER-4 are how much in comparison to 530?)

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #43 of 44
I found the Shure SE530 to be a little muddy without an amp. The iPod headphone jack can pump out appreciable volume to the Shure, but with less detail than when amped.

The difference was not as significant with the TF10, perhaps because of the already higher detail in the treble, but still amping improved the experience of the TF10.

My personal favorite between the SE530 and the TF10 is the TF10. The TF10 just seemed to have more detail and crispness that worked better for acoustic music.

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #44 of 44
Disagree with ER-4S lacking in bass. Bass in ER-4S are clean, tight, and controlled. Especially with the right amp, you will be like "wow".
Had both E4C and ER4S before. With a good source + good amp, ER4S kills E4C for sure. (taking into consideration that i listen to mainly vocal and instruments).
However, i do agree that E4C is a great choice for normal MP3 player use. (without amp).

Might have a chance to compare ER4S, E530 and SE420 this weekend. Will update here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back