Etymotic cable from APureSound
Apr 16, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #196 of 210
Well if you believe you can hear the difference it's worth it otherwise not. What different people can hear varies. I find that the APS cable is worth it's price as a total package. The sq improvements alone don't justify the price in my book but firgure in improved ergonomics etc. and for me it's good value.

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #197 of 210
I ended up purchasing an APS cable from a fellow Head-Fier. 'P' cable, 4 feet long, standard connector.

Take this with a grain of salt as I do not have a (working) stock cable to do A/B tests.

After several days I am quite impressed with the APS cable. Bass is markedly increased, but still very crisp and clean (previously, when going directly from my E500's to my ER4P, there was obviously a huge difference in the amount of bass. With the APS cable, the difference is still there, but it is much less). Treble has also improved, and has 'warmed up' and smoothed out, yet still retains its detail and quality. It is much less of a fatiguing listen, so people who do not like the Ety's for this reason should definitely give the APS cable a shot.

I'll post more in a few days. I have a stock cable on the way and will do some A/B testing to confirm or deny my thoughts.

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #198 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey_emt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll post more in a few days. I have a stock cable on the way and will do some A/B testing to confirm or deny my thoughts.

Just don't swap cable too many times as the connectors in the pods will almost certainly start to get loose, after all they were not designed to be user replaceable.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #199 of 210
Simply had to post my simple joy at hearing Alex's Apuresound ER4P cable. He has definitely done it again - in cable design and construction for a set purpose he is nothing less than a genius. I'm sure, like Einstein, his genius qualities are based on solid application of thought and dedicated application but I simply had to acknowledge that, as with other items modded or created/produced by him, the Apuresound ER4P cable is exceptional. Well built and, after 120+ hours burn in, sounding tremendous.

Thanks for your efforts, Alex, both in terms of your no doubt extensive design period and, of course, taking the risk of going into production with it. I'm sure that risk (i.e. investing in sufficient quantity of the source cable) is continuing to pay off every day.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #200 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pictures will have to wait till the weekend as I'm travelling the next 3 days.
And no I will not be swapping the cable to compare sound, it will stay where it is now.
Also comparisons for me are a bit iffy as I've gone from P to S at the same time so can't say what sound changes are caused by what part of the cable change.

are you saying that the driver unit is the same from P to S? and by changing cable, you can go back/forth from S to P?

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #201 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you saying that the driver unit is the same from P to S? and by changing cable, you can go back/forth from S to P?

Yup
smily_headphones1.gif

Though as it was said before, repeated change of the cable will loosen the connectors permanently.
If you want to be able to swap back and forth, your best bet would be to get the ER-4Ps and a 75 Ohm impedance adapter. They are readily available at a bunch of places.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #202 of 210
Quote:

Exactly, but dont change the cable too many times as the pod aren't designed for that and will get loose over time so instead go P and get a P to S adapter or an amp with a build in P to S switch.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the previous answer but then you get it twice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #203 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr13zehn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup
smily_headphones1.gif

Though as it was said before, repeated change of the cable will loosen the connectors permanently.
If you want to be able to swap back and forth, your best bet would be to get the ER-4Ps and a 75 Ohm impedance adapter. They are readily available at a bunch of places.

thanks!
nc8000 has been very helpful explaining about the cable through PM too!

I told him I'm gonna give the cable a try.. 6months to 12months from now.
smily_headphones1.gif
Let the storm in the bank account settles first.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #204 of 210
Quote:

Let the storm in the bank account settles first.
biggrin.gif

Haha, I can certainly sympathize with that!
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #205 of 210
This cable is great. I used it with Sony PFR-V1 and my personal custom IEM and it sounds excellent! (Make sure resistors are removed before soldering)

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #207 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by dle4e_2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which cable do you all recommend?
The "P" or the "S"?

Would using it with the Etymotic 75ohm resistor affects the sound of the cable?

for greater versatility, go for the P cable, and buy the ety P to S cable, theres no difference doing it that way.

and yes of course the resistor cable would affect the sound, thats the whole point of it
confused.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #208 of 210
Quote:

Which cable do you all recommend?
The "P" or the "S"?

Would using it with the Etymotic 75ohm resistor affects the sound of the cable?

I have both and they are both great. The choice will to a great deal depend on what is going to be driving the phones. I use the P version straight out of my iPhone and the S version out of amps. That said I think that if I could only have one it would be the P as it also sounds great out of amps whereas the S can get a bit thin if not driven properly.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #210 of 210
Quote:

What I meant is would using the resistor cable degrade the sound of the Apuresound cable cause I have a 75ohm resistor cable already.

Since the cable used by Apuresound and Etymotic might be different.

Yes, anything you put in the chain will likely affect the SQ. How much you find it to 'degrade' it will be your own decision.

I use an APS 'P' cable and can use a 'P-2-S' adapter (no cable in it though) if I want the extra 75 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back