Etymonic 4P/S Dilemma-IEM Newbie-Help!
Nov 28, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #16 of 40
Huh, they're really great, and you just happen to be selling a pair? Golly! Lucky day!

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #18 of 40
I wear mine exactly like that, only with the tab turned up.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #19 of 40
BTW, I loved them before I decided to sell them, I just don't use them anymore as I don't travel or need isolation anymore, and need the cash for some other cans (HF-1 or Darth Beyer, probably) I still love them and will regret it one day but there you go. I have a bloke from Adelaide coming to see them tomorrow night anyway so he might buy them.

Of course I think they are great, thats why I chose to buy them! You could find posts were I rave about them just after buying them, if you can be bothered, I can't.

Irregardless of all that, I think they will be great for what the OP wants but it's true that I haven't heard them with an ipod. I could take them to work tomorrow and try them with a friends ipod, but would you believe my opinion anyway?

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #21 of 40
you don't need an amp to sound loud. you need an amp to sound good/great. anyway, if you want just good isolation and good detail out of an unamped source(ipod). why not try er6i? they're a lot cheaper and sound good easy anywhere.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you get any microphonics?

Very little. When I throw rest of the cord over my shoulder, it goes away completely.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you don't need an amp to sound loud. you need an amp to sound good/great. anyway, if you want just good isolation and good detail out of an unamped source(ipod). why not try er6i? they're a lot cheaper and sound good easy anywhere.

True but ER-4 does have the most isolation, after much research of every IEM, thats a main reason I chose them.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Yeah, I think that might be a better choice.

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

To be honest, if you don't need the ultimate isolation and don't want the best possible sound (for which you need good source, amp etc.) then I agree too, straight out of the ipod, save your cash and get the er6i. Just depends what you plan on doing in future. ER-4 are great to have around as a reference so you can hear differences in cables etc, but if that doesn't seem likely, then:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...&s=electronics

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #26 of 40
i currently have a pair of sennheiser cx-300 earbuds and when i turn the volume up full on my rockboxed ipod mini it is very, very loud, to the point where it is somewhat painful.

do the etymotic ER4S reach that kind of volume from an ipod?

-25db volume on the rockboxed ipod mini is enough to hear music quite clearly with the sennheiser cx-300 while on the move....

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, if you don't need the ultimate isolation and don't want the best possible sound (for which you need good source, amp etc.) then I agree too, straight out of the ipod, save your cash and get the er6i. Just depends what you plan on doing in future. ER-4 are great to have around as a reference so you can hear differences in cables etc, but if that doesn't seem likely, then:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...&s=electronics

Hmm. Will the er6i sound a lot better coming out of my total bithead than the ipod? Do you think the ER-4's are overkill for me considering I've never used any IEMs before? I was looking into them because I figured if I was going to get a pair of IEMs(and I want to), then I may as well get a really good pair that'll be great for a long time.

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by freelyfallin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. Will the er6i sound a lot better coming out of my total bithead than the ipod?

It's subjective. A bit better or a lot better? I think just a bit better but who knows what you will think. I don't find it worthwhile carrying around my amp, but when I use it at home, I notice the difference for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelyfallin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the ER-4's are overkill for me considering I've never used any IEMs before? I was looking into them because I figured if I was going to get a pair of IEMs(and I want to), then I may as well get a really good pair that'll be great for a long time.

I don't think they are overkill, I bought them for similar reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back