Etymonic 4P/S Dilemma-IEM Newbie-Help!
Nov 28, 2006 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

freelyfallin

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,
So I'm new to IEM's, and the Etymonic 4P/S is looking like a good solution. What do you all think of them as a starter IEM? I'm a little trepidatous about putting anything in my ear canal...but it seems like the only way to do so is to try some(I want them for plane travel etc).

Anyway, I'm unsure as to which model I should get. I have a total bithead which I bought really recently for my HD595's, but I'm still not sure how much I'll be using my iPod with it, as it's a little awkward carrying around the bithead with an iPod. At the same time, I hear that the 4S model sounds a lot better when it's amped than the 4P, so since I have an amp it would make sense to take advantage of that SQ difference. So my question is this: Would an iPod be able to drive the 4S model if at times I wanted to use it unamped?

What would you all recommend I do?'

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 40
Buy a 4S as soon as possible, and don't look back.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 40
I love my Etys. I love them because they're revealing and extremely accurate.

These two reasons are the EXACT two reasons that you shouldn't pair them with a raw iPod. The iPod has a nasty harsh etched treble... which is accentuated by the "sparkle" that the Etymotic 4P/S can present. If you plan on using them with your iPod, make SURE that you've got your Bithead inbetween. It's a very nice sounding combo, I've used it for several months.

Why did I get rid of both my iPod and my Bithead though? Well, I think as a truly portable rig that you can just throw in your bag you'll want something a bit more... pocketable. Long story short, the iPod alone with the Etymotic just doesn't sound very good. You're smashing right into the limitations of the player.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did I get rid of both my iPod and my Bithead though? Well, I think as a truly portable rig that you can just throw in your bag you'll want something a bit more... pocketable. Long story short, the iPod alone with the Etymotic just doesn't sound very good. You're smashing right into the limitations of the player.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. But what do you mean about getting rid of the bithead? You want an amp that is smaller, is my guess?

Also, thanks for the advice about the iPod. But, taking away the whole issue of SQ and speaking purely in terms of volume, is an iPod powerful enough to drive the 4S?

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 40
IMO, the 4Ss sound absolutely fine directly out of an iPod.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by freelyfallin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. But what do you mean about getting rid of the bithead? You want an amp that is smaller, is my guess?

Also, thanks for the advice about the iPod. But, taking away the whole issue of SQ and speaking purely in terms of volume, is an iPod powerful enough to drive the 4S?

I guess what I mean is, if you take the Bithead out of the equation, you're left with a not-so-hot sounding iPod / headphone combo. I think the Bithead's a great sounding amp... what I'm saying is that you'll NEED it for your Etys to sing with the iPod.

If you're interested in taking the issue of Sound Quality out of discussion, I'd head in a totally different direction with a headphone choice. The ER4 is a precision instrument designed for high fidelity sound. If you just want something that will be loud... there are cheaper options that will gloss over the iPod's flaws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the 4Ss sound absolutely fine directly out of an iPod.

There's no nice way that I can respond to this without calling you a fanboy.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 40
ng_mad.gif
Fanboyism has nothing to do with it. I've done plenty of back and forth tests and simply cannot tell the difference, not even a little. The only reason I take my amplifier with me is for the crossfeed. It isn't at all like my HD650s, where I can hear a fairly significant difference when going between my TBH and my stereo amplifier.

Quote:

How loud can they get given that they are 100 impedence?

More than loud enough to damage your hearing.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ng_mad.gif
Fanboyism has nothing to do with it. I've done plenty of back and forth tests and simply cannot tell the difference, not even a little. The only reason I take my amplifier with me is for the crossfeed. It isn't at all like my HD650s, where I can hear a fairly significant difference when going between my TBH and my stereo amplifier.

More than loud enough to damage your hearing.

Well, I suppose we're at an impasse then. I can tell you first hand that I hear a pronounced difference between various amps with the iPod, particularly through the ER4.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

If you're interested in taking the issue of Sound Quality out of discussion, I'd head in a totally different direction with a headphone choice. The ER4 is a precision instrument designed for high fidelity sound. If you just want something that will be loud... there are cheaper options that will gloss over the iPod's flaws.

I'm asking purely about loudness because I will be traveling in Europe for 2 months over the summer. I don't think I'll be able to charge batteries during my trip, but I'd like to listen to music.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by freelyfallin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm asking purely about loudness because I will be traveling in Europe for 2 months over the summer. I don't think I'll be able to charge batteries during my trip, but I'd like to listen to music.

I say get something else if that's what you're looking for. The Etymotics are also very microphonic, and every time they brush on something during your trip you'll hear it. I'd ask around about a phone that's a little less microphonic and a little more forgiving of the iPod.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

I say get something else if that's what you're looking for. The Etymotics are also very microphonic, and every time they brush on something during your trip you'll hear it. I'd ask around about a phone that's a little less microphonic and a little more forgiving of the iPod.

Hmm...well, that's not what I'm buying the phone for really. It's more for airplane trips and train rides, but I'm just not sure where else I might find myself using them.
Any ideas?

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 40
If you want isolation, ER-4 are the best of any headphones. On a plane, you hear less noise than with any others, including active noise cancelling phones, that why I bought them and they were perfect for that. The fact that they sound great is a bonus. One of the most revealing, detailed phones out there.

They will make a bad source very obvious (straight out the PC onboard headphone jack you hear humming, clicking, poor sound etc)

I don't have an ipod, but I have a iAudio X5 60GB, 2GB U3 and a Vosonic 8360 and they sound excellent with any, but less so with the Vosonic.

The ER-4S sounds better than the ER-4P to my ears from any source, amped or not. Just my opinion.

I also have a Xin SM IV, and the sound is far better with it in the loop, but not "bad" without it.

Buy mine!:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210463

Users who are viewing this thread

Back