Etymonic 4P/S Dilemma-IEM Newbie-Help!
Nov 28, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #31 of 40
Freelyfallin,

I guess the question I have for you is this: Would you be using the Ety's strictly for use out and about or would you also use them for at-home listening?

If you're looking for portable use only and want to avoid the hassle (my opinion) of having anything besides your iPod and phones to carry around I'd definitely go for 4p's. If, on the other hand, you plan to use them amped at home once in a while I'd go for the 4s's.

Regardless of which one you choose, enjoy your trip abroad.

AD

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #32 of 40
Buy 4P's, then get the P -> S adapter cable. Problem solved.
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #34 of 40
I'll be able to use my iPod, I'm just unsure if I want to deal with all of these different pieces throughout my trip.

Anyway, after realizing the price of the 4S, after all of this talk, I think I might go with the 6. The price is more reasonable, and it seems as though it will benefit from my bithead. While I might use it unamped some, I want to make sure that the IEMs will benefit from my bithead, or else there was not much purpose in getting it in the first place. Thoughts?

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #35 of 40
All things considered, the ER4s will benefit more from being amped than the 6is, even if I can't hear the difference, most people swear it's there, so perhaps it's just my problem.
wink.gif
Don't be discouraged from getting the 4P/S. You might as well go all the way the first time, instead of wasting money on the upgrade path... You can get it for less $200 if you know where to look.

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy 4P's, then get the P -> S adapter cable. Problem solved.
tongue.gif

...or get Xin SuperMacro with impedance switch
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True but ER-4 does have the most isolation, after much research of every IEM, thats a main reason I chose them.

I find it is much more eartip-dependent. Almost every other IEM would have same isolation if using tripleflanges/foamies.

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All things considered, the ER4s will benefit more from being amped than the 6is, even if I can't hear the difference, most people swear it's there, so perhaps it's just my problem.
wink.gif

You say the 6is...but the 6s sound a lot better being amped than the 6is from what i've read. yeah?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be discouraged from getting the 4P/S. You might as well go all the way the first time, instead of wasting money on the upgrade path... You can get it for less $200 if you know where to look.

I'd like to get the 4P/S, but I'd be asking for them as a gift, and it seems like it would be too much... Oh and another thing, why is it that the 4P is $20 less than the 4S when I search online?

Nov 29, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #39 of 40
Because the 4S is supposed to be the "higher-end" ER4. Which it is, slightly. but a 15 dollar cable fixes that right up. Or you can make your own for less than $5.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #40 of 40
I would only go with the 6i if you truly cannot afford the ER-4. I have both and don't think the 6i benefits in any way from amping. But more important, the build quality, sound and looks of the ER-4 make it worth the extra money. ER-6i does not sound bad at all but when you use ER-4, it's like, "oh yea..." Everything just seems a little smoother. Then the S-adaptor makes the highs even smoother yet. No harshness at all...it IS awe-inspiring. But I wouldn't bother with the S version unless you had extra amplification...it needs it.

So go for the ER-4. For $180 you end up with the highest end IEM Ety makes....one of the top makers in the world...and what many would consider the best sound you can put in your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back