Ety MC5 good for jazz?
Nov 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

h8uthemost

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a good sounding pair of in-ears for around the $60 price range. Pretty much my only listened to genre of music is jazz. So I'm not some bass head looking for something to pound my ears. I just want something clear sounding and pretty precise.

Would the MC5's be a good fit for this genre of music? If not, what do you think would be some good ones for me in my price range?

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 12
I can't say anything about the MC5, but the HF5 and the ER4P and S rendition Jamie Cullum, Pat Metheny etc. beautifully. Heck, I even love to listen to dubstep on my ER4P.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah I know those two are supposed to be fantastic but they're a bit more than what I'm wanting to spend right now. Especially with Christmas coming up.

I was looking at the Jays d-jays too. They're in the price range and are supposed to be good.

It's so hard making a decision on headphones...

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Had a very short experience of some JAYS aJays. If it's anything to go by, the fit wasn't great, so I would guess the same. According to |joker|, the MC5 is slightly on the dry side compared to the HF5 and ER4P, so that might actually suit what you listen to, depending on what jazz you are into.

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 12
iBeats are perfect for Dubstep actually, only thing they're good for ^^

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
iBeats are perfect for Dubstep actually, only thing they're good for ^^

The midbass emphasis far too great, drowning out all that lovely subbass. And I find that dubstep is, in certain cases, just as much about the treble as the bass.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 12
The MC5 is a very good buy for anybody who doesn't need to be blown away but simply wants clean, natural sound. And it will take a licking and keep on ticking. Mine has been crammed into a pants pocket with my 6G iPod Nano sharing its pouch, day in and day out, for almost a year and a half now. Recently one of the earphones broke, when I was removing it from my ear, at the join between the barrel and the little perpendicular piece that contains the strain relief. A little superglue, and it was good to go again, with no detectable effect on the sound.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
i say PR401, its about US$60 i think,

I haven't head of these. But the reviews seem promising. I'll definitely dig deeper into them. And why exactly would you not bother with the MC5's except for isolation? Do you think the Ecci's would be a better fit for the genre of music that I listen to?

Thanks to everyone so far for their opinions. I do appreciate it.

EDIT: And oh yeah, the PL-50's are out of the question. I have a pair of SE215's and I want a regular type of IEM's for this coming up pair, not another set of over-the-ears.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 12
The JVC FXC51(warm clear and detailed), Sony EX310(highly recommended because they are crisp, clear and offers deep punchy bass), SHE9850(detailed and balanced with good bass response) and ADDIEM(very clear and has good bass response).

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 12
...i really would not bother with the mc5 unless you need lots of isolation..

Agree. MC5 is for me what soulless sound is like. It makes sound, but doesn't play music.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Agree. MC5 is for me what soulless sound is like. It makes sound, but doesn't play music.

To my (musician's and concertgoer's) ears it reproduces well-recorded acoustic music (mostly classical, for me) as cleanly and realistically as I could ask at the very reasonable price (as well as giving excellent isolation, which I need). YMMV of course, and I wouldn't know how it would fare with other kinds of music that perhaps make more extreme frequency demands. But after extensive use I remain happy about my purchase and would buy another one if it needed replacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back