Ety HF3 -> UM3X or SE535LTD
Mar 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JCJiffy

New Head-Fier
I currently have Ety HF3s which I use with my iPhone 4 as the main source. I really enjoy the sound signature and clarity but have been wanting some more low-end oomph recently.

I have been trying out and comparing the Westone UM3X and Shure SE535LTD (Special Edition Reds); coming from the HF3, I'm leaning toward the SE535LTD as it sounds more open with more forward highs. The UM3X sound darker and more muffled to me. Is this a typical assessment of the UM3X for someone coming from Etys? Is there brain burn-in for the UM3X?

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 6
The Etymotic HF5 are very good sounding IEMs with good bass response (upgrade over HF3) and adding ZO will give more bass impact.

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
The Etymotic HF5 are very good sounding IEMs with good bass response (upgrade over HF3) and adding ZO will give more bass impact.

The HF5 is an upgrade over the HF3..? They are identical minus the iPhone controls

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 6
the UM3x is known to be pretty neutral for many ears. to mine, they are a bit warm sounding compared to the HF series (that's because every Ety is so dang cold). I personally haven't tried the new SE535 limited edition yet and apparently it's improved? i'm not sure

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 6
This is exactly what I'm wondering. Whether my impression of the UM3X sounding dark/muffled is because I'm so used to the Ety sound. If, in reality, the UM3X are neutral and technically sound, I believe I am flexible in my sound signature preference such that I can adjust my brain/ears. On test listens, the UM3X did have more oomph and meat than HF3.

Trebles on the SE535LTD are definitely more forward than the normal SE535 to my ears. The SE535LTD are nearly US$200 more than the UM3X here in Japan though.

Quote:
the UM3x is known to be pretty neutral for many ears. to mine, they are a bit warm sounding compared to the HF series (that's because every Ety is so dang cold). I personally haven't tried the new SE535 limited edition yet and apparently it's improved? i'm not sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back