Ety ER-6 "Earhugger" mod
Mar 21, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by venzuel00
I hope you guys can provide some pics to this mod this weekend. Can't wait to try it on my er4s.

Keep in mind these are ER-4S's, not ER-6's, even though this is the ER-6 Earhugger Mod thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here ya go:

Modded Ety's...
ety4s1.jpg

Earhugger clips with Ety's run through them.. I've tied a string around the tip of the Earhugger to keep the cable in. On the opposite end is a metal clip.
ety4s2.jpg

Mar 21, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #34 of 41
nicely done, vwap!

i see with the er4 you need a lot more wire out of the braces. is this because of the length of the er4 body? with the er6 i need only about 1" of wire, but that is because i insert them upsidedown and the er6 i believe is shorter than the er4.

i once in a while take my er6 out of the earhugger braces to wear them, but the cord noise is so bad and the shifting of the tips in my ears bothers so that i put them right back in the braces asap.

Mar 21, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
nicely done, vwap!

i see with the er4 you need a lot more wire out of the braces. is this because of the length of the er4 body? with the er6 i need only about 1" of wire, but that is because i insert them upsidedown and the er6 i believe is shorter than the er4.

i once in a while take my er6 out of the earhugger braces to wear them, but the cord noise is so bad and the shifting of the tips in my ears bothers so that i put them right back in the braces asap.

While I tried the one inch thing, that worked fine.. except that the Ety's didn't feel very comfortable going in upside down... so I pulled the cable out further and put it in right-side up, which needed quite a bit more cable, but made it a lot more comfortable, too...

I can't take my ER4 out of the Earhuggers.. since I don't feel like re-tying string again.
smily_headphones1.gif

For now, they work well, but I haven't worn them for a long period of time yet.. I just wore them for initial testing.. and that was about it..

Mar 31, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #37 of 41
Wow, all of this sounds like a great idea! I'll be getting a new MP3 player soon. I have a pair of ER-4P and I also have a problem with cord noise whenever the cord hits my shirt. And like Red mentioned, Ety's fall out of the ears very easily for me too. For the past few days, I've been reading around here and other places to see if I can get a pair of headphones/earbuds that are less of a hassle for me to use the my 4P's, but it looks like vwap and Red's mods might solve my problem for me. I've never done any modding before, so I hope I won't damage something unintentionally when/if I follow your examples.

Otherwise, I think I'd be purchasing some Senn MX-500's, or maybe KSC-55's since they might be more convenient. However, I already know that those don't even compare to my 4P's sound quality.

Mar 31, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #39 of 41
dragonlong:
the er6 are even lower profile with the earhugger + dome tips mods, as they stick out less and the cords exit behind the ears. i don't have a digital camera but can tell you they look like a slightly different kind of earhugger, a type of 'phone i see many people wearing every day. in a word, no they don't look too strange or dorky. i can't really say about the er4, though.

Mar 31, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #40 of 41
Here my picture with the Ety-4

I didn't have any earhugger so I went to radioshack and got some Softwear earbud by omega which seem even simplier that the earhugger. No metal piece or any part to remove just regular cheep bud with a earhugger style earclip.

The earclip has a grove where the wire is just remove the earbud and put the ety. It dramaticaly reduce the cord microphonic. But without cord microphonic now you are aware of the foot microphonic that still there.

earhugger.jpg

Mar 31, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #41 of 41
dant,
good job, i noticed those in radio shack the other day. the ones i saw had "ultimate earhugger" style metal clamps for the wires, which is the easiest to use. the rat shack version was about us$10. they look almost exactly like the earhuggers, most likely a re-brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back