Ety ER-6 "Earhugger" mod
Mar 18, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
wooooah... tinsel town....!

how did i miss this bump?

vwap,
my local bartell drug in lower queen ann sells a number of different earhugger models. the cheapest is $4.99, and it is worth it just for the braces and extra foamies.

in fact this weekend i completed a new version of the earhugger mod, which can be done with any model earhugger. i used the cheapo $4.99 ones from bartell.
[/URL]

Hey redshifter,

Heh... I figured you were on vacation or something..
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyhow, I'll check the Bartell's around here tomorrow to see if thy have any... where can I find some shrink tubing, anyhow? I'm guessing the local hardware store?..

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Hey redshifter,

Heh... I figured you were on vacation or something..
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyhow, I'll check the Bartell's around here tomorrow to see if thy have any... where can I find some shrink tubing, anyhow? I'm guessing the local hardware store?..

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

no, get shrink tubing at your local radio shack.

Mar 18, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

no, get shrink tubing at your local radio shack.

Ah,.. will do.. hehe.

I just picked up a pair of Ultimate Hearhuggers.. under 10 bucks.

Nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll attempt the redshifter mod tonight.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #20 of 41
cool! are you going to try it with the er4s?

-edit-
i should mention the "ultimate earhuggers" come with the metal clamps to hold the wires in place, in which case you want to do version 1 of this mod.

Mar 19, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

cool! are you going to try it with the er4s?

-edit-
i should mention the "ultimate earhuggers" come with the metal clamps to hold the wires in place, in which case you want to do version 1 of this mod.

Done!
smily_headphones1.gif

I modded my ER-4S's... and so far, so good. I extended the cable down a few inches so I could put them in like normal, instead of upside down. IIRC, the ER-6 and the ER-4's have different lengths of drivers.. so it makes it harder to put the ER-4's in upside down without having a large amount of cable anyway.

So now I just look like I have ugly black earrings on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by benklop
Could you post a pic of what the end result looks like on the headphones?

benklop,

if redshifter doesn't have the time to do it, I'll probably be able to get you a pic of the Ety's this weekend.

biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by venzuel00
Any more cord noise with the modded ety er4s?

I wish I could test fo you in a more "real world" environment ...

but ever since I broke my D-777, I no longer have a portable to walk around with.. so until then.. I'm stuck using them at the desk, or very little.

If someone wants to help me score another D-777 for cheap...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #26 of 41
very cool, vwap. i was wondering if this would work with the er4. just stick the cord plug end in you pocket and walk around. let us know if you can still hear the cord noise.

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

very cool, vwap. i was wondering if this would work with the er4. just stick the cord plug end in you pocket and walk around. let us know if you can still hear the cord noise.

Will do.. all I know is that, putting them in upside down was a pain.
smily_headphones1.gif
and they kept wanting to pull out... I'll try once I get home and see what I can do.. I was walking around with them yesterday.. and I'm considering trying the Sony EX70 eartip mod, mainly to get rid of the occlusions.

redshifter, what did you manage to do anything on the top end of the ultimate earhugger? while the bottom end has the metal clip, the top end has nothing holding the cable in.. Right now, I tied a cable tie around it.. but it's a bit large and pokes my head. If it's not there, the cable flops out before I get the hook around my ear..

Mar 19, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Will do.. all I know is that, putting them in upside down was a pain.
smily_headphones1.gif
and they kept wanting to pull out... I'll try once I get home and see what I can do.. I was walking around with them yesterday.. and I'm considering trying the Sony EX70 eartip mod, mainly to get rid of the occlusions.

redshifter, what did you manage to do anything on the top end of the ultimate earhugger? while the bottom end has the metal clip, the top end has nothing holding the cable in.. Right now, I tied a cable tie around it.. but it's a bit large and pokes my head. If it's not there, the cable flops out before I get the hook around my ear..

in my original earhugger mod i just used the metal clips on the bottom of the braces and nothing at the tops. i found the cable stayed in 90% of the time, and it was easy to put back in if it came out. now my etys have the second earhugger mod, and i used the metal clamps from the 1st mod to hold the top of the wires in place and the rubber caps for the bottoms. you can also try a small ring of shrink tubing with a pad of foam underneath to secure the wires at the top. the shrink tubing that will fit over the ety er6 is a little too large when shrunk for the braces, so the foam underneath makes up for the difference.

don't worry about the er4 being upsidedown or rightsideup. just configure them in a way that is most comfortable for you. experiment, you're the one pioneering the er4 version of this mod.
cool.gif

-edit-
so did the cord noise go away? my original intent was to get rid of the cord noise, and to keep the er6 from shifting around in my ear canals, because the smallest movement of the supplied tips could ruin the perfect seal needed. oh, and to keep the er6 from popping out of my ear if the cord got caught on something (it hurts, a lot).

Mar 19, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

in my original earhugger mod i just used the metal clips on the bottom of the braces and nothing at the tops. i found the cable stayed in 90% of the time, and it was easy to put back in if it came out.

don't worry about the er4 being upsidedown or rightsideup. just configure them in a way that is most comfortable for you. experiment, you're the one pioneering the er4 version of this mod.
cool.gif

so did the cord noise go away? my original intent was to get rid of the cord noise, and to keep the er6 from shifting around in my ear canals, because the smallest movement of the supplied tips could ruin the perfect seal needed. oh, and to keep the er6 from popping out of my ear if the cord got caught on something (it hurts, a lot).

I think I'm going to get some string and wind it/tie it around the top of the hook, by where there's a convenient spot for it to go, without slipping off. hopefully that works..
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing about being upside down/rightside up, is that being rightside up, you're out quite a bit of cable... but I don't mind.. The shirt clip is clipped pretty dang high, near my collar, but I've got a Timbuk2 Designs Messenger bag, and if the headphone wires above the clip are under the strap.. it makes it really hard to move my head..
biggrin.gif
So for me, it's in a perfect place.

Thus far, cord noise has gone away. Essentially, this is the same thing as routing the cables over your ear manually, but this way it stays over your ear..
biggrin.gif
If you're not sure whether or not to fork up the $5 or $9 for either kind of Earhugger, then try routing over your ear and see how it sounds. I do a variation of this when I'm wearing a jacket, and especially on windy days. I have the clip around my collar, and I pull the cables up on my jacket collar around the back of my neck, then put the phones in.. so while the cables are free flowing, they're not hitting the jacket zipper.. but they make me look kinda funny (not like the earhugger mod doesn't..
biggrin.gif
).. But that method worked very well, too..

But like I said, the occlusions from footsteps are still very much there...

Mar 20, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #30 of 41
posted by vwap
Quote:

But like I said, the occlusions from footsteps are still very much there...

that's part of what the er6 dome mod solves. plus any complaints about the er6 bass are addressed successfully. i did notice some footstep noise after the dome mod today, but only with the music turned off.

as always i am very interested in your er4 earhugger mod results, and perhaps the dome tip/ex70 tip mod for the er4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back