Ety ER-6 "Earhugger" mod
Feb 8, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 41
Quote:

take the earhugger drivers and crush them under your boot.

LOL!

Essential for the mod, do not skip this step.
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 41
Do it with a hammer instead. That will allow you to see the crucial moment of total destruction.

Stock earbuds anyone?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 41
hey, red, what's the name & model # of them phones you used? I might go spend 10 bucks for them to see if they could help the ER4Ps I ordered.

I don't have any cheap clip-ons, but this might be worth the money dropped on the POS's.

Feb 12, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 41
earhuggers

good news, they're only $5.99. geez, at that price etymotic research could order 1,000 of them and resell them as "etymotic research er-eh2000 security modules" for $25 a pop. i used a pair of the $9.99 ones but it looks like from the picture they use the same clips with the groove for the cord. you might actually find some at your local wal mart or drug store, they're pretty common. i didn't see any metal clamps on them, perhaps i got the clamps from another mod...
rolleyes.gif
in any case you can use a bit of string or design your own clamps. keep in mind i did this mod on th er6. i don't know if it works with the 4p. i'd be interested to know if it does.

i like how my etys now feel secure in my ear and i can move my head all round without the dang cord getting pulled or rubbing on my collar.

Feb 13, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 41
Well, they wanted 11 bucks for it after shipping, and since i never ordered from them before, I went to amazon and found the earhugger 2k for 9 bucks after shipping. When i get my 4Ps (they won't ship until NEXT thursday, damned headroom), i'll try the phones out and later i'll tell you how the earhuggers work. if the ER4P cord doesn't fit in them, i'll just tape the damned things together, (blue tape looks cool).

Feb 13, 2002 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 41
Very cunning, redshifter. I'll give this a try when some headphones of the appropriate style pop up somewhere around here.

And I'd been idly thinking about some kind of foam wrap for the cables on my 4's. You've got a better idea by far.

Feb 13, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 41
thanks wes. i was also thinking about a foam or tape choke for the er-6 cord to cut down noise. i was also thinking of a rubber collar ala sony earbuds. then i remembered my dissected earhuggers and they solved two problems at once. good luck getting the parts.

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 41
Don't blame Headroom for the backlog of ER-4P headphones, it is our problem.

The Apple iPod shifted the mix of ER-4 models to the ER-4P. Our precious glut of cables turned into a shortage. We are now waiting on cables for the ER-4P. We should be all caught up in a week or two.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Feb 21, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 41
to those who are going to try this mod, here's an update.

i went and physically examined the "earhugger" line. the "ultimate earhugger" model is the one with the removable metal clamps. the others seem to have a plastic ring which may not come off. so the "ultimate earhugger" is the model you want.

Mar 10, 2003 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
to those who are going to try this mod, here's an update.

i went and physically examined the "earhugger" line. the "ultimate earhugger" model is the one with the removable metal clamps. the others seem to have a plastic ring which may not come off. so the "ultimate earhugger" is the model you want.

Hey Red.. where'd you get the Ultimate Earhugger, anyhow?

Anywhere locally that I can find them at?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson
Don't blame Headroom for the backlog of ER-4P headphones, it is our problem.

The Apple iPod shifted the mix of ER-4 models to the ER-4P. Our precious glut of cables turned into a shortage. We are now waiting on cables for the ER-4P. We should be all caught up in a week or two.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

This is Off-Topic, but you know what I love about Head-Fi?

The fact that a topic about Etys gets a response from an Etymotic Research guy.
eek.gif

That's great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back