Ety ER-4P problem?
Dec 9, 2002 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hazmat

100+ Head-Fier
On my new 4Ps, I notice that with the right earphone the red part and the black earphone part are perfectly flush. With the clue, I can see about a 1/2 mm gap, and can see the two rods in between. Is this okay?

Thanks.

-Ken

Dec 9, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 7
I would try to see if you can push the pieces in closer, but otherwise, if you can't detect any sonic problems and the gap isn't catching on things, there's nothing wrong.

Note: be very careful with your etys. They're pretty robust, but not indestructible, as I've discovered. The black driver piece on the left side just snapped in half.
frown.gif
I've contacted Etymotics to see what the repair/replacement cost would be, but in the meantime, no 4P's for me.
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 7
hazmat...

...don't care about that! With my Fixup replacement cable the two plugs both aren't completely flush with the earpieces, nevertheless the fit (and electrical contact) is very tight.

Dec 9, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, all. Yeah, feeling impatient, I called Etymotic. Those guys are so nice over there and so patient with questions on the phone. I am so happy to support them and their awesome product.

Anyway, yeah, I spoke to Russ and he said it's no problem. It is totally tight and I don't detect any problems in sound. Russ said that even in a year if there seems to be a problem with them because of them they will fix it. Ahhh, this is one reason I love buying the good stuff. The manufacturers really stand behind their products.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ken

Dec 9, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Note: be very careful with your etys. They're pretty robust, but not indestructible, as I've discovered. The black driver piece on the left side just snapped in half. I've contacted Etymotics to see what the repair/replacement cost would be, but in the meantime, no 4P's for me.

This has also happened to me and at least one other person from Australia who says that Etymotic not only repaired the earphones but also paid the postage in both directions. My Ety's are on their way back to Etymotic as I write. They say they will repair them free of charge.. They are only around 3 months old... and pay for the return (to me ) postage, but not the return (to them) postage. With insurance, this will cost me around £58.00 by FedEx, so it's an expensive business when they break like this. Mine just snapped as I gently removed a foam eartip from the shaft.. Is that what you were using Kubernetes?

I have ordered some new earptips of the foam and white tip variety from them too. I wonder now whether I should use the tight fitting foamies at all as the shaft seems too fragile
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 7
I really have no idea how I broke them, but I just picked them up the other day and noticed that the driver was bent out of place. When I touched the foamie it just fell right off. At least it didn't happen when it was in my ear!

Repair is free of charge, eh? I just got an email from them and they're charging me for the replacement.
frown.gif
Oh well, it's still cheaper than buying a new pair, and I just can't live without my Ety's.

Dec 9, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

.............and I just can't live without my Ety's.

I know the feeling. I have a pair of Grado 125's & Sennheiser HD600's and some Koss Sporta Pro's and..... (the list goes on) but I really do miss the Ety's
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back