Etiquette 101: How to behave at a classical concert.
Dec 10, 2001 at 1:16 PM Post #16 of 50
chadbang:

Exactly! I was at the symphony the other day when everyone turned around and looked at me all snotty
mad.gif

I said, "What? You don't fart?"
confused.gif

cajunchrist

Dec 10, 2001 at 4:02 PM Post #17 of 50
No dude, they were mad 'cuz you didn't follow the rule EXPLICITLY STATING all farts during a performace must smell like roses. Duuuuhhhhh...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 4:26 PM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
If someone clearing their throat is distracting, I say you're too easily distracted.

cajunchrist

Nope, you have it all wrong. If someone clears his throat while the violins and cellos are creating an intimate, beautiful ambiance, and I get distracted, it means the person who did it is rude, vulgar and uncultured. It doesn't mean I'm easily distracted.

As redshifter said, I also think my standards are pretty stiff. But then again, I also think the dress code at my office (business suits all day, everyday) is very stiff, and I still follow it. It's a matter of behaving according to the situation you find yoursef in.

Dec 10, 2001 at 5:07 PM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

know I am preaching to the choir here, but I am mad

fj, would that be as mad as your BEAVER!?!?
biggrin.gif

i'm likin' the new closeup. i have to get me one of those.

re: work etiquette, i work in a computer lab with about 60 other people, how do you feel about other people playing their music loud with a subwoofer so even headphones don't block it out? is it rude or am i being too sensetive again. (said music ranges from ok to the worst butt-rock and pop music available). maybe i should just shut up and get the er6 already.

Quote:

If someone clearing their throat is distracting, I say you're too easily distracted.

i'm not distracted by that. that falls under acceptable ambient noise in my book. coughing or clearing your throat every minute steps over the line.

Dec 10, 2001 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 50
I haven't been to too many concerts, only about 4 i'd say - and most have been superb, with attentive audiences and the like.

I sympathize with fj's remarks.......tho I very rarely find myself distracted.....I zone "in" to things...and can't get out for a while. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.
rolleyes.gif

The best concert audience I've ever seen was at a tabla/some stringed instrument i forgot about - not sitar....more like a small harp..........

Regardless - the performance was sweeet.....and the audience loved it.

Dec 10, 2001 at 10:55 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

and my personal favorite, wringing your program in your hands for the whole show, and constantly pulling your sticky fingers off the glossy cover with a noisey pop every few minutes. why are you still holding on to it in the dark? why? WHY?

lol I used to do this at church when I was kid.

Dec 10, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #22 of 50
I really hate it when some idiot makes noises in a classical perfomance. That's one of the reasons I stopped going to concert halls in the first place. And that was New York by the way. In general, I hate to dealm with the disconsiderate people who makes noises when you are/listening to the orchestra/watching the movie/eyeing the pretty blonde on stage/long etc. Noises and conversations are okay in rock concerts and strip shows (where the music will drown them anyway).

If classical music, I'll rather play a CD now, than have to endure uneducated and inconsiderate people. I know I am missing a lot, but I also get away from things I do not deserve to be subjected to.

In general, I've concluded, vulgar people loves to be the center of attention everywere they go, even if such attention implies not their stature or pressence, but all the racket they can make (go to Atlanta on springbreak to see my point).

And yes, my blood pressure is too high today.

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

wringing your program in your hands for the whole show, and constantly pulling your sticky fingers off the glossy cover with a noisey pop every few minutes. why are you still holding on to it in the dark? why? WHY?

An unconcious desire to masturbate.

cajunchrist

P.S. My farts DO smell like roses.
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:14 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
An unconcious desire to masturbate.

cajunchrist

P.S. My farts DO smell like roses.
tongue.gif

I believe you. I just don't need any proof
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:25 AM Post #27 of 50
Uh, Atlanta (at least the interesting parts thereof; that is, the Highlands and Decatur) is quiet as a tomb during Spring Break, sir.

Peace,

Jay
(Went to school in ATL, Emory to be exact.)

Quote:

Originally posted by Onix

In general, I've concluded, vulgar people loves to be the center of attention everywere they go, even if such attention implies not their stature or pressence, but all the racket they can make (go to Atlanta on springbreak to see my point).

And yes, my blood pressure is too high today. [/B]

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:33 AM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by citroeniste
Uh, Atlanta (at least the interesting parts thereof; that is, the Highlands and Decatur) is quiet as a tomb during Spring Break, sir.

Peace,

Jay
(Went to school in ATL, Emory to be exact.)

Sorry Jay, but all those SUV's blasting rap all nigth doesn't sound like a tomb to me, unless it is invaded by zombies. All over Peacthree they rumble in the nigth.

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:34 AM Post #29 of 50
Everything in the "Guardian" article you site is true. However, what you fail to mention is that a great man and towering giant among conductors and composers by the name of GUSTAV MAHLER changed all of that when he was the director of the Wiener Staatsoper (Vienna State Opera House). He put his stamp on orchestral music, and opera, and ballet, forever. If civility was good enough for Mahler, it's good enough for me!

Speaking of the Staatsoper, allow me to brag a bit. Today I saw Tschaik's "Nutcracker" ballet there. And thankfully, a Vienna audience knows how to act during a performance. Oh yeah, my ticket was 30ATS, which is 2.18 euro, which is about US$1.96. Sure, I stood up the whole time, but it was, I repeat UNDER TWO UNITED STATES DOLLARS for an above-average performance of a pretty good ballet in one of the finest performance venues in the world. I paid considerably more than that (~US$6, not a bad deal in itself) for my melange (proper Viennese coffee) and Sacher Torte at Hotel Sacher before the show.

A bad week for me is one in which I only see 2 live performances of good music a week. (This week will be one of them, unfortunately, the only other performance I'm able to attend being Tori Amos on Friday.)

Peace,

J

Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum

Again from the article: "I read recently that Ravel's favourite way of listening to performances of his own music was to leave the hall, and pace up and down the corridor smoking a Capriol cigarette. Apparently people used to stroll around and smoke at early Proms."

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:50 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by citroeniste
A bad week for me is one in which I only see 2 live performances of good music a week.

Single and no kids, rigth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back