Ethics of Negative Feedback
Dec 23, 2009 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

West726

Headphoneus Supremus
What are the ethics and norms here of negative feedback? I have two situations.

1. I bought an item from a forum sponsor 2 months and 1 day ago. The sponsor emailed to say it would be sent the following day. It has not arrived, and the sponsor does not respond to my emails.

2. A member agreed to purchase an item I had for sale in the forum. He then reneged. He came back two hours later and asked if it was still for sale. I said yes, but he must be a serious buyer. He said he was, and he agreed to buy. I marked the item as pending. We had many friendly PMs discussing the item and other headphones, etc. The next day he was to send me a postal money order. He wrote me that night to say that the line at the post office was too long, so he would not purchase the item (ever).

With #1, I have some action with paypal. I would like to warn members as well, but I don't want to hurt a sponsor.

With #2, I'm not definitely out any money, but I'm annoyed that this person wasted 3 days of my time (we had many PMs back and forth, I got the shipping label ready, and so on), and I'd like to warn members so that they don't do the same -- if the line at the post office is too long, this member will just bail on you.

What do you think? And please, I'd appreciate it if we just stick to these 2 cases. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 15
1. This is a negative feedback situation/CC chargeback/law issue.

2. Although its annoying, I don't think you should give this person any feedback. They did waste a bit of time, but they didn't scam you out of anything and as far as I can tell, they don't sound like a threat at the moment.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2. A member agreed to purchase an item I had for sale in the forum. He then reneged. He came back two hours later and asked if it was still for sale. I said yes, but he must be a serious buyer. He said he was, and he agreed to buy. I marked the item as pending. We had many friendly PMs discussing the item and other headphones, etc. The next day he was to send me a postal money order. He wrote me that night to say that the line at the post office was too long, so he would not purchase the item (ever).

What jackass did that? Hell yes you should leave him negative feedback. I despise going the post office. There's sick and chatty people there, but if I agree to buy something form you, I'm going to pay you. What an entitlement whore! Seriously, who is the little goober?

If you don't say something, you just pass the these twits off to the next person like a$shat hot potato.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 15
1) Leave the feedback and warm people. This is a legit issue.

2) Annoying as it is, it not a legit issue.

If any negative feedback is left never dramatize or say anything subjective. Only leave the facts and provide documentation.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 15
+1 to baka1969's post

Re. postal lines. I spent 25 minutes yesterday [ie, my lunch break] in the line because I had to send off an item someone bought from me. To say, MEH is pretty poor form.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 15
I'd leave negative feedback for both, but explain the situation fully, especially in the case of the member, making sure that it's understood that he didn't exactly cheat you in any way, and communicated with you fully, but that you're passing on a warning to other sellers that they shouldn't believe this guy is serious until they have money in hand.

People need to be aware that all actions have consequences, and if you're telling a seller you're sending the money, barring unforeseen catastrophic whatevers, you need to keep your word. If you can't do that, other potential sellers deserve to be made aware that you're not reliable. It's not criminal behavior, but dishonest and untrustworthy nonetheless.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 15
The truth sometimes hurts.

As long as you can somewhat objectively give full disclosure then yes, tell your story. Others can decide for themselves if it is worthwhile. The key is ALL of the post must be honest and straight forward.

I did this on a bad transaction for an item worth less than $20. I wasn't mad, but if someone is going to behave poorly, dishonestly or not honor their word, then the value of the transaction doesn't matter. Actions (or lack there of) speak volumes. And those actions have consequences. Positive if done correctly, otherwise negatively.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd leave negative feedback for both, but explain the situation fully, especially in the case of the member, making sure that it's understood that he didn't exactly cheat you in any way, and communicated with you fully, but that you're passing on a warning to other sellers that they shouldn't believe this guy is serious until they have money in hand.

People need to be aware that all actions have consequences, and if you're telling a seller you're sending the money, barring unforeseen catastrophic whatevers, you need to keep your word. If you can't do that, other potential sellers deserve to be made aware that you're not reliable. It's not criminal behavior, but dishonest and untrustworthy nonetheless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The truth sometimes hurts.

As long as you can somewhat objectively give full disclosure then yes, tell your story. Others can decide for themselves if it is worthwhile. The key is ALL of the post must be honest and straight forward.

I did this on a bad transaction for an item worth less than $20. I wasn't mad, but if someone is going to behave poorly, dishonestly or not honor their word, then the value of the transaction doesn't matter. Actions (or lack there of) speak volumes. And those actions have consequences. Positive if done correctly, otherwise negatively.

I agree with these posts.

As for the first case, I think (if anything) we should be less sensitive about hurting the feelings and/or reputation of MOTs as we are of regular members. Yet, for whatever reasons, we (and I've been guilty of this myself), tend to protect them. We really shouldn't, so long as we stick to the facts and remain objective and straight-forward in the manner in which we describe our experiences.

As for the second case, it irks me when people do cheesy things like this and figure that they'll get away with it because no money exchanged hands. That's the case at Audiogon, and I don't like it one bit. If someone leads you on and then gets squirrly and backs out after you had relied upon that person's word, you may well have passed up on an opportunity to make a sale to another person who then decides to buy elsewhere. But even assuming that's not the case, other members should be made aware of the "I don't give a crap about you or Head-Fi" attitude. It might not deter them from entering into a transaction with this person, but at least they will be forewarned.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 15
sometimes a little negative feedback prevents oscillation

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 15
Thank you all for your helpful opinions. I just left feedback for the member, being as objective as possible. I don't want to call the member out in this thread, but if you're curious as to how I wrote the feedback, you know how to find the post.

I'm going to give the sponsor just a bit more time to respond to my emails.

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 15
heh, i think i know who that #2 is
tongue.gif

dont mind it too much..

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hate wishy-washy people. leave feedback so others can be informed when dealing with this person.

Agree completely and have done so. I had someone agree to purchase something and then cancel after waiting six weeks for payment to arrive via registered mail.

Dec 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with those saying be fair and honest, but lay the law down on both of those idiots.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back