esw9 or recabled d1001
Dec 14, 2008 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

EraserXIV

Headphoneus Supremus
hey i was thinking of recabling my d1001s to improve the sound because i heard great things about them, but then i thought about investing a little more money to just upgrade to esw9s. the thing is though i probably wouldn't have enough money in the end to recable the esw9s (do they even need to be recabled?).

basically what i'm asking is if it's worth the premium to buy esw9s for the improved SQ (how great is the improved SQ of esw9s over recabled d1001s?) or to just improve SQ by recabling my d1001s.

i'm going to mostly use these on to go. i listen to mostly rock, classical, and a bit of hip-hop. i've heard esw9s aren't as comfortable as d1001s, but how much more uncomfortable are they? and what's the size comparison in terms of portability?

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 22
If you google ESW9, you'll find some pictures of people wearing them. They're very portable, much more so than the D1001s.

Why do you think you need to re-cable the D1001? Is there anything in particular you don't like about the D1001s as is, that you've read that re-cabling can fix? Ditto with the ESW9. Do you just want "better" sound, or is there a more specific quality you're looking for?

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 22
well i want to make the bass and the highs a bit cleaner as they are a bit harsh/rough. i also want to bring out the mids a bit more. the d1001s are a fine set of cans, just refining these would make it even better! (i hope) or i could just get another set of cans!

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about $40

What kind of recabling are you doing? $40 seems like a bargain anywhere. The cheapest recabling that I've seen cost at least $80 from S^2 I believe.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 22
It's $40 if you do it your own self.

Recabling is a lot of fun, but if you're at all concerned about value you should spend the money on upgrading to a different stock model. I like the ESW9 better than the D1001 in every way.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's $40 if you do it your own self.

Recabling is a lot of fun, but if you're at all concerned about value you should spend the money on upgrading to a different stock model. I like the ESW9 better than the D1001 in every way.

yeahh i was thinking that, but i figured i'd save the $150 and save it to buy a better amp. i think an amp would increase SQ more than the upgrade from a recabled d1001 to esw9.

however, that's not saying down the road i won't buy an esw9 for the hell of it
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 22
well i figured i'd get these to hold over until then. i could also sell these i guess, down the road for some cash to buy the esw9s. also, i don't plan on buying them for a while (maybe 3+ years), so that's probably why i decided to just go ahead with this.

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3+ years is an eternity in head-fi reckoning.

yeah tell me about it. only if i had an endless supply of money....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back