ESW10JPN - Polish Cups?
Jul 26, 2009 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

charliex

Headphoneus Supremus
I purchased a pair of ESW10JPN from eBay and am 99% positive they are real. One thing I have noticed and hopefully someone can confirm. I have been frequently polishing those gorgeous dark lacquered cups due to fingerprints by rubbing them vigorously with cotton cloth - and the lettering is starting to rub off - that's common..right? Is there any other way to keep a shine without losing the lettering?

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 10
You don't have to rub hard to remove fingerprints. I just use a 3M cloth to clean mine without any problem while retaining it's shine. No, it not common for those wording to rub off. You're the first I've heard.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 10
I use the very soft sunglass/glasses cloth to clean the cups. I havent really noticed any removcval of the text. Although i think this may be because i wipe very slowly and carefuly

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 10
I think they're actually Japanese.
icon10.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they're actually Japanese.
icon10.gif

Huh
confused.gif

I've had a few ESW10JPN owners report the same with lettering rubbing off over time (same as Grados) - but the lettering may disappear - but the sound keeps getting better with burn-in. LOVE these cans!
L3000.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Try putting a layer of carnueba wax on top of the laquer. That should prevent the lettering from coming off while adding an extra layer of protection on the cups.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh
confused.gif

Read your subject question again.
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try putting a layer of carnueba wax on top of the laquer. That should prevent the lettering from coming off while adding an extra layer of protection on the cups.

Exactly what i was going to recommend
smily_headphones1.gif
Canuba wax will put a seal over the polish and retain the lettering. I used high quality car polish and wax on my W5K's when i had them like Moonboy.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 10
If you really want to retain lettering - do not rub it at all - with anything. Wax will not seal it or help to retain it. Sure, use a Carnauba wax (bowling alley wax is good - car wax, no.). You'll learn that "car" wax contains additives that are mildly abbrasive, making them inappropriate for our use...........I'm still using a couple of cans that are probably at least 50 years old. One can is Butchers Bowling Alley Wax, and the other old can is A & P Carnauba. Even when using these - I avoid applying/rubbing over printing - you don't have to be soo sloppy when waxing your can(s).

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really want to retain lettering - do not rub it at all - with anything. Wax will not seal it or help to retain it. Sure, use a Carnauba wax (bowling alley wax is good - car wax, no.). You'll learn that "car" wax contains additives that are mildly abbrasive, making them inappropriate for our use...........I'm still using a couple of cans that are probably at least 50 years old. One can is Butchers Bowling Alley Wax, and the other old can is A & P Carnauba. Even when using these - I avoid applying/rubbing over printing - you don't have to be soo sloppy when waxing your can(s).

Im pretty sure meguiars car polish and carnauba wax did a fine good job with the wood on my old W5K....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back