ESMOOTH - Gorgeous headphones...
Apr 25, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #136 of 143

Quick post here if anyone interested. Just bought these headphones shown in photo. Still priced at $40 on Groupon. Got mine today, took 9 days. These are Griffin Woodtones GC36504 Sapele, real wood rectangular sculpted earcups. Also available in Dark Walnut and Light Beech woods. These are verified OEM sourced from eSmooth as their ES-661 headphones, in various woods. Both Griffin and eSmooth have websites to view more detail. The Griffin run a Left-side single cable, a modification from eSmooth's factory from normal 2-sided cable.

Steven, from eSmooth and I exchanged emails on these models, and is fantastic to correspond with. His contact email link is here in post #87 on this thread. While the Groupon price remains, you just can't go wrong with these for $40 brand new, 1st quality. Checking the prices otherwise, you'll find this Griffin on Amazon & ebay, among a few other badged names eSmooth sources to as OEM manufacturers, all at higher prices. So, got a good deal & wanted to relay that to anyone interested.

I bought these as a "lifestyle" type headphone with nice looks and nice sound. In this category, I also own the Symphonized Wraith in real Cherry wood teardrop-shape earcups, which are slightly more (got at $60 new on Amazon-went up a bit now; sold at $40 in October 2014). The Wraith are probably slightly better (maybe), and their prices go up over $65 with many other badged-name-brands of that same OEM headphone. My Wraith do not roll-off on the high-end as some report, probably due to choice of Cherry Wood. Symphonized also has a website for more details.

So, quick sound report is the Griffin are nice, not yet burned-in, but the initial sound is great at the $40 price-point. The bass could be a tad bit tighter, but they are not burned-in yet either. I would say they outperform the $40 level, with sound over the $50 level maybe up to $100 point as new -

nice look, nice sound, very comfortable with or without eyeglasses.
Either of these headphones are great for the price if wanting a nice-looking real wood headphone with good sound.
Top foto is Griffin (eSmooth), bottom foto is Symphonized Wraith.

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #137 of 143
I have these headphones under the brand name "TRIBECA Aviator." I bought them for $60ish, and as compared to a Beyerdynamic dt770, they are markedly rolled off in the highs. It's not a bad sound, and you get accustomed to it, but the roll-off is real.

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #138 of 143
I guess I got lucky. When I bought the Symphonized Wraith, I was expecting the highs to roll-off. After listening to them with many other headphones owned here, my Wraith do not roll-off, and are contrary to some reviews read. However, the reviews reporting roll-off were different wood types. The websites such as from LSTN formerly, which took down their frequency response graphs, and Fischer Audio which has them up currently concur with Lawton Audio about how the various woods types really do affect the frequency response range. This was expected for me, as is the case for musical instruments also. My Cherry-wood Wraith have no roll-off at all.  Some of the reviews discuss the difference in response, particular to wood types & how they affect the lows-mids-highs for this teardrop-shape model...ex: I avoided Zebrawood as lows were reviewed poorly just for that type wood in this headphone model. Seems lows and highs were the most affected based on wood types, mids were more consistent...some response graphs were very linear for some woods, other woods had either U-shaped graphs, or high roll-off.

Different woods can reinforce certain frequencies to slightly attenuate them (especially in bass registers for headphones) - I knew Cherry has less tendency to high roll-off, or, a bit more reinforcement of high frequencies than some other woods. For musical instruments - sometimes woods are combined (multi wood hybrid designs) to exactly bring out the lows better with 1 type wood, mids with another wood, and highs with even another different wood. This is currently where many manufacturers are doing research & now marketting these hybrid-wood or multi-wood instruments. For headphones, some real soft woods emphasis low bass tones - some too muddy if overdone; and some hard, highly reflective woods emphasize high frequencies well. Some wood types (possibly Sapele) are closer to full range linearity. Kennerton Audio & Lawton Audio sites have fairly comprehensive descriptions about many different tone-wood types and their signature sounds.

One thing we know is any two pair of the exact same wood-type exact model headphones can sound differently, based on the wood itself. Just like a fine wood instrument, nature takes it's course in all the parameters of the actual wood - density, porosity, grain, torsional strength, reflective properties, hardness, age, conditons stored, soil grown in, etc...differences are seen around the globe from soils grown in and climates too, for same type woods. High variability, just like wood musical instruments, albeit headphones have a smaller surface area. One tree can be much different than the same type tree grown right next to it. At times, a different part of the same tree's wood may sound really different than the rest of the tree. Even Sony's research on this led them to use quality-controlled wood-resin composites (wood powdered & mixed with resin) to achieve better quality control and some uniformity in sound, seen in their testing.

I believe the teardrop esmooth OEM'd headphones are better than the Griffin mentioned, mostly because the Griffin's bass is not as tight or clean at higher volumes, where the Wraith is better; but, have not burned-in either pair yet - they should both get even better with use. At either $40 to $60 or $65, either are worth it in value. Some of the badges branding these teardrop-shaped cans are - Symphonized, Tribeca, LSTN, Fischer Audio, Optionz, Auvio, among some others. Radio Shack (Auvio line) also has a free Auvio EQ App to customize your EQ settings.

The various woods seen in the teardrop-shape headphone are Cherry, Rosewood, Bubinga, Beech, Light Walnut, Dark Walnut, Zebrawood, Ebony, Maple, Bamboo, Litichi, Green Sandalwood, and other requested woods from rebadgers at any particular time & with wood availabilty. Some have thought the wood design is related to non-wood SkullCandy Aviators, but others say the headphone types are much different, especially soundwise.  Many prefer the eSmooth sound, based on reviews. I really like both the Griffin Woodtones and moreso the Symphonized Wraith, plus I found same as others did, for both impedence and sonics -  they sound great with the computer/DAC, and then open up even finer with hifi gear.

On a parallel, unrelated to OP note, my HiFiMan HE-300 (dynamic) were totally disappointing out of the box due to real severe high frequency deficit per db. But, I have not yet done the simple HeadFi mod which most are saying really corrects this problem to where they are really fine, eliminating the problem. Just a simple foam tweek only.  Decided to run them a lot to burn-in before undertaking mod; only halfway on hours so far. I don't like any high frequency deficits or roll-off, unless fixed with EQ easily, so eager to mess with the HE300 to remedy it & get closer to a linear presentation.

Depending on available materials, it makes us wonder, too, if OEM makers sometimes change materials based on either a promised-price point per vendor & rebadger contracts, where some require finer materials than others for sound goal, or others cheaper materials to satisfy an agreed lesser contract price based purely only on financial concerns. The OEM'er's do change things, just as eSmooth informed me they went single L-side ear cable per Griffin's specific request, rather than the usual 2 sided cable. Interesting, at least.

May 13, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #140 of 143
Listening to a set of ZAGG ZR-LE Bamboo wood headphones. Also were made in darker Ebony wood. They look nice & foto does not do them justice - they look much nicer !

May 30, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #141 of 143

Just got these woodies today and they are very impressive.

Fischer Audio Jubilate 64 in Padauk wood, as pictured.

They sound great and the craftsmanship and wood is just absolutely superb.

Jubilate 64/High Edition are also available in other woods - Jatoba (Locust), Tiama (Gedu Nohor), Peruvian Walnut, Khaya (African Mahogany), and this Padauk (Barwood).

Handcrafted in Russia, eSmooth sourced, came in nice black zippered Cordura bag with foam protective insert & lining and both sets of velour & leather earpads.

Really nice, very sizably large, enormous wood cups fit over the ear, highest quality finish; pictures just can't convey the beauty of these woodies.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #142 of 143
I have a couple 881EBs. Still work after years. Use them at work. They seal very well.
The finish on the wood and quality is excellent. Rubberized. Design is comfortable. They even survive falls much better than audio technicas I've had.

Need N shaped equalization. They are bit rolled off at treble. But overall a great headphone <200$. Particularly for traveling. Did I say they are pretty and sturdy? I take them on the plane to Europe and back.

Got them for 75$ each (50$ each plus Fedex, which was very fast). At this price, I don't think you can get anything better. Sounded better than stock T50rp.

Straight from S.F. Nice guy, followed up later on how the project was going, a nice company to work with. (I am an academic and manager in a tech company. So I ordered directly from the factory when I thought there was going to be consulting project and we needed several woodies. Having only AT W5000, then, I was not going to use that for work. Project didn't go to next stage, so I still have them.)

How do the Fischer Audio Jubilate 64 Padauk sound compared to some other headphones, like OPPOpm3, the various ATs and HE400's, etc?

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #143 of 143
Symphonized Wraith

Just scored a pair of the bottom ones at a flea market, repackaged as Auvio. They were $5 so I grabbed them, though I don't know the specs. Am hoping to make a custom cable - the flea market guy didn't have it - using the 2.5mms that are stock, but might seat some 3.5mm inputs instead. Am a little nervous because there's not much room for error in drilling for the 3.5mms, so may go find some 2.5mm plugs. Anyway - they look pretty solid and I'm hoping they sound good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back