Eskuché Control headphone impressions...
Aug 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Olimoronio

500+ Head-Fier
[size=9pt]Got my Eskimos today. Initial impressions...[/size]

[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt][/size]

[size=9pt]They are quite a bit smaller than they appeared to me in the photos. They are VERY reminiscent of the Nippon America CD-5500 from Mat Electronics (sold as Reference #CD-5000) in build with a metal wire frame and additional pleather head strap. The only marked difference between the two in appearance is that the Eskimos have square-ish cups and the Nippon's cups are circular.[/size]

[size=9pt]The black plastic that makes up the cups doesn't look too bad but the chromed plastic that makes up the vents looks extremely cheesy. Something MUST be done about this - either vinyl dye it or remove it completely and replace with some wire mesh or something. [/size]

[size=9pt]Anyways, like my Nippon America's they are very sturdily built. I think I can safely say that these, along with the CD-5500's, could be used as anyone's beater phones. [/size]

[size=9pt]The adjuster is very limited unfortunately. I have a fairly large noggin and at their furthest extension they just barely fit properly. So if you have an extremely large head you may want to forget about it.[/size]

[size=9pt]I really like that the cord is covered in [size=x-small]braided[/size] cloth sleeving like the Maxell DHP ii's. I also like that they have two cord options - one for audio only and one with an inline mic.[/size]

[size=9pt]SOUND:[/size]

[size=9pt]lol Well, they're fresh out of the box and I've only been listening to them for about 30 minutes but the thing that stood out the most during my first few minutes was that they are very warm and that the bass is rather... rounded if you get my gist. The treble is good if a bit rolled off but I'd rather have this than harsh and hashy highs any day.[/size]

[size=9pt]The soundstage is acceptable for a phone of this size but nothing phenomenal. I like to play The Cars - Moving in Stereo as one of my tests for this. Well, not only do the vocals appear distant when panning left to right as on the Nippon's but also the ambient effects seem remote as well which is something the Nippon's did not achieve. Of course this is to be expected being that the Nippon's are closed phones and the Eskimos are semi-open.[/size]

[size=9pt]Good thing is even though the bass is quite prominent and there is a slight of bit bloat it is NOTHING compared to say the JVC HA-RX700's or their ilk and the bass does not interfere with the mids like it does on the JVC's. The mids are nice and smooth if not exceptionally detailed.[/size]

[size=9pt]Funny thing - like I said I’ve only been listening for about half an hour so far but the bass is already starting to tighten up. We'll see how good they get after a few days of burn-in.[/size]

[size=9pt]Summary:[/size]

[size=9pt]1. For those wondering - unless these cans improve dramatically with a couple of days of burn-in then the Maxell DHP ii's have nothing to fear. [/size]

[size=9pt]2. These seem OK but I am glad that I only paid $30 and not the regular $60. [/size]

[size=9pt]3. So far I feel the Nippon America CD-5500's for around $10 are a better deal.[/size]

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:

[size=9pt]3. So far I feel the Nippon America CD-5500's for around $10 are a better deal.[/size]

Where did you get those? 

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Where did you get those? 

Right here

Look for...

[size=10pt]"CD HEADPHONES 1/4" [/size]
[size=10pt]ADAPT GOLD TIPS[/size]
[size=10pt](Reference #CD-5000) [/size]
[size=10pt]CD HEADPHONES 1/4" ADAPT GOLD [/size]
[size=10pt]TIPS" [/size]

Unfortunately there is a $20 order minimum but they have tons of good stuff for sale or you could just buy two pairs of the Nippon America's.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 9
Hmm, I thought they would be a bit better since 32 Ohm Audio carries them. This is the only model with rectangular cups out of the four they carry. They are all the same price though, I wonder if they all have the same drivers?

http://www.32ohmaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=63_64_94

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 9
[size=9pt]I dunno but unless I get the chance to hear them first I think this is my last venture with the Eskimos.[/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]On a happier note - I gave these to a friend who is not an audiophile and likes lots of bass and he's loving them.[/size] 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 9
[size=9pt]My friend already blew a driver in the Eskimos I gave him lol. Having said that the bass never tightened up much and it definitely butts into the mids. Highs are nothing special either.[/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]If you want a phone with similar aesthetics/build then save yourself some money and get the Nippon America CD-5500's for $11.95 instead - they sound better as well. [/size]

My CD-5500 impressions

Judgment:

DO NOT RECOMMEND

Users who are viewing this thread

Back