ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 10, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #286 of 1,571
Serial # 34 here. A week in and I am in love with these headphones! So much body in the mids, so much punch in the mid bass with lovely smooth highs and everything seems to have soul. The consensus is that they are weak in the bass but I am thrilled with the bass performance and I would say that for acoustic upright bass, Ive not heard better definition and body of the wooden instrument in any other headphone. This and the fact that the bass has a bouncy and pliable nature makes for a satisfying experience. They are exceptional with small ensemble jazz and acoustic music and absolutely magical with vocals. The only weakness in my opinion are within the frequency extremes (low bass and high treble air); the latter I do miss with orchestral music for a better sense of the acoustic space but in the end I'm so glad I took a chance on these, thanks to this thread!

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #287 of 1,571
Serial # 34 here. A week in and I am in love with these headphones! So much body in the mids, so much punch in the mid bass with lovely smooth highs and everything seems to have soul. The consensus is that they are weak in the bass but I am thrilled with the bass performance and I would say that for acoustic upright bass, Ive not heard better definition and body of the wooden instrument in any other headphone. This and the fact that the bass has a bouncy and pliable nature makes for a satisfying experience. They are exceptional with small ensemble jazz and acoustic music and absolutely magical with vocals. The only weakness in my opinion are within the frequency extremes (low bass and high treble air); the latter I do miss with orchestral music for a better sense of the acoustic space but in the end I'm so glad I took a chance on these, thanks to this thread!
Very well articulated. It is the low bass that is perhaps the issue. The rest of the bass is fine. Even for rock, with a few tweaks to my components to stress the lower bass,- it is totally satisfying to me.

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #288 of 1,571
Thanks for the impressions. I think I'll be satisfied if the ES-R10 makes someone react to it like OG (from older thread):

10253601.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #289 of 1,571
By the way, the OG like the ES-R10 was also criticized for it's bass. It was not really respected as the best headphone for Rock and Roll. However, like the OG bass heavy version, I think the ES-R10 is IMHO still excellent for modern genre's- even though it may not be it's most proficient genre. The bass is there, but the headphone is about soul.

Apr 11, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #290 of 1,571
By the way, the OG like the ES-R10 was also criticized for it's bass. It was not really respected as the best headphone for Rock and Roll. However, like the OG bass heavy version, I think the ES-R10 is IMHO still excellent for modern genre's- even though it may not be it's most proficient genre. The bass is there, but the headphone is about soul.
Oh, I know of the drawbacks of the MDR-R10, and I already have my TH-X00 Ebony and Modern Retros (shrill treble, ugh) as my closed-backs to handle more modern genres. I was looking for something more neutral with luxurious mids and works well with stringed instruments. When I'm working, I mostly listen to classical and soundtracks anyways.

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #292 of 1,571
Does anyone know what kind of wood is the ES R10 made of?

Apr 11, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #293 of 1,571
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #294 of 1,571
I have updated my first post to help guide newcomers to this thread. I will include my comparisons and comparisons made by others. Also reviews by other members.

Apr 12, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #296 of 1,571
Just pulled the trigger on these with the upgraded shipping. Also currently having my silver Statement cable re-terminated for these as well. Let's see which arrives first.
Waiting for mine patiently as well~ Shipped yesterday via EMS. Usually doesn't take too long from HK to SG so I didn't bother with spending more on DHL. SMC termination aren't very widely available it seems, still trying to get my local cable maker to make something for me.

Apr 12, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #299 of 1,571
Stax x9000 or ES R10? 😞
Trick question, I'd get both. I've been saving up for an x9000 but while progress is slow I hope to place an order before the year is over. The es-r10 is much more affordable and can be ordered now. Plus based on what I've read they should both sound different from each other beside being an open and closed back.

While I feel the es-r10 is at a much more affordable price, if you truly want both save up and buy what you want. Most of us already have multiple headphones for their different takes on sound and I could see myself being very happy owning both. The path to end game/audio nirvana is not a linear one of headphone A being better than headphone B. I find the unique sound of the es-r10 to be proof of that.

Apr 12, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #300 of 1,571
I’m willing to fork out 2.5-3k for it if he nails that 100% sound of the SONY R10
Tall order to get it to 100%… I guess with law of diminishing returns takes the price up to $8000 for 100% 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back