Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 20, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #4,261 of 9,894
Sure if you insist. :) Darkvoice has just sign me to promote their amp on a one million dollars contract.

IMG_6905.jpg
To paraphrase Jimmy Durante "You gotta million of 'em"

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #4,262 of 9,894
But are you worthy? :laughing:
I didn’t pull Excalibur out of the stone … but I did tee up a few azure print Philips ECG E88CCs … 🏌🏿😈

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #4,263 of 9,894
Jul 20, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #4,265 of 9,894
Jul 20, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #4,266 of 9,894
Jul 20, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #4,267 of 9,894
Give the guy a break... It is REALLY late (or early am) in Germany.
But one is supposed to lose sleep (besides money, family…) over a new tube amp of any type!!

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #4,270 of 9,894
But one is supposed to lose sleep (besides money, family…) over a new tube amp of any type!!
Absolutely. Especially for this one:

1689915545211.png

Jul 21, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #4,271 of 9,894
Here is a first photo of the Ultigreg in operation after unpacking and connecting.

I have exaggerated immediately, I had to put the Gec Kt66 in, (because they were not really accepted in the Euforia, I am glad with the bargain that they work).
12AT7 Brimar Yellow T,rectifier is the Dumont 6bw4 for now,with a socketsaver from Tubemonger.
Everything is new and still needs time.
I'm still holding back with sound-related things.
Since I've been up since 4am and have already been working and then on the road for 2 1/2 hours.
And I'm also hungry.
I can certainly say more about the weekend.
The green cable is an Isotek Initium, by the way.

What I can say is that the Ultigreg is dead quiet.
Matt definitely kept his word.
I had to listen twice.
The transformers are not even warm after 15 minutes.
The Mundorf capacitor is switched.
Matt used it for 40h, then the Russian one for 100h.

At first I can't find anything to complain about.💁🏼‍♂️

IMG_0926.jpeg
Beautiful amp! Must be nicer to look at in person!

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #4,273 of 9,894
Hello,

@UntilThen

Yes, I still remember our conversation.
The Studio Six was what I was looking for in tubes where long term would still be available years from now.
That was one criterion, the other was that it should be at least on par with the Euforia or better.
That was not easy.
In the end it was her contribution about the 6Y6 amp that turned the wheel.
I didn't know at the time that it came out so great in the end.

About her question:

are you sure there are no loose screws or extra holes? No scratch on the birthmark Eric left you as a souvenir?

Here I'll answer in general.
It is important for me to say and mention this.
I have witnessed something that did not end well and it ended up being one-sided because someone was very generous and gave in.
Which I personally found unfortunate also because solutions were there.

First, let's look at the photos.
I carefully unpacked the Ultigreg when I got home.
As you can see it was more than well unpacked.
You don't have to worry about it arriving damaged.

20230720_164326.jpg

20230720_164339.jpg

20230720_164353.jpg

20230720_164452.jpg

20230720_171003.jpg

Customs opened the package upside down for whatever reason.

Unpacked it smelled a bit like paint,why because the black painted sheet metal was painted and did not evaporate completely.
Bad? No
You can't smell anything anymore.

The first optical impression was already wow.
I checked the potentiometer, which turned smoothly, no play, everything as it should be.
The output sockets are fixed just like the inputs.
The switches are tight and firm.
The transformers are also screwed tightly, nothing wobbles, all screws are tight.
It was not necessary to tighten them.
I turned the amplifier over and opened the cover to check if anything was loose and everything was fine.
I didn't have to do anything there either.

It would be presumptuous and a very high level of complaining for me to say anything now.
There is nothing I could say that would be bad. since I wanted to have it painted, it was not entirely avoidable that it would be easy to see something here and there due to the assembly.
You really have to look very closely, and I don't do that, everything is normal.
That's part of it.
No screw is missing, none has come loose, full stop.
The workmanship is flawless, both inside and out.

I asked Eric to position the XLR connectors as shown in the picture.
What can I say, I was right, it increases the comfort.
The access is very easy and operable,
Be careful when you choose your case and let Eric know, he will do it.

Inserting the tubes is a dream, the tubes go in easily and stay in place.
The upgrade is worth it.
It takes a bit of feeling to insert the rectifier tube.
But the base is also very well made.

The operation of the Ultimate is simple.
It drives the 300 Ohm headphones very easily.
I was surprised when I ran it overnight and checked it again, 3 out of 4 transformers were still cool.
The one with the copper surround was a little warmer, I didn't expect that.
I have noticed that it reacts very well to tube changes.

Am I personally satisfied?
Hell yes, it's everything I imagined and wanted it to be.
Eric fulfilled my wish and I am very happy and satisfied.
I love the Ultimate just looking at it.
I can only thank Eric for the great work he has done.
I don't need a magnifying glass to look for something that isn't there.

The only thing I do now is listen to the Ultigreg and give it the time it needs.
Since the amplifier is still spinning, it's quite early to commit.
Please be patient.
I've only had the Ultimate for 24 hours.
The tubes also need time to get where they need to be.
Everything is there to enjoy the music.
I still need the A/B test with the Euforia. My head still has to get used to it.
It is definitely different from an OTL amplifier.
The Ultimate sounds better than the Euforia with its series tubes if you put them both together.
I know that, what I also hear is the typical Mundorf sound, which is much better in the Ultimate than in the series Euforia, where the standard Mundorf was used at that time.
I will say something about this later when it is 100% confirmed.

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #4,274 of 9,894
Hi @Deleeh thanks for the post. You're the first owner to come back and described your unboxing experience in detail.

My question is rhetorical. Meaning it is asked to make a point rather than to get an answer. :) Just like Shakespeare in Merchant of Venice say 'If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you posion us do we not die? :)

Looking back, most of Ultimates were delivered to customers in more than satisfactory condition. @Nick Ryan 's Ultimate is perfect in built and of course was delivered well because I personally delivered it. That's a 2 hours drive. My own Ultimate is also well built and well delivered because I pick it up personally. :) There were 2 amps that has issues and the delivery to Melbourne really surprised me with the issues there. In all of these issues, I was part of the conversation between the client and Eric. It's fair to say that Eric more than resolved those issues. The compensation was far more than the faults. Eric is one builder I will trust 110% because his support is 110%.

Your Ultimate is perfect as far as I am concerned. There was a hum issue that I detected during testing but that was resolved quickly and permanently. I kept you aware of this and Eric of course. Physically your Ultimate is very well built. No blemish or scratch. I don't use the word perfect often but yours came close to it. Even I am satisfied.

Bryant's Ultimate is probably the best Ultimate I've tested. Visual and audio quality were spot on first time. I did not pick up a single issue. The only thing added after the built was the preamp and that's because Bryant heard me asking for the preamp out function on my Ultimate. Eric accomodate that change even when the built was completed. You can see Eric go the extra mile to make his customers happy.

Again I was joking where I mentioned that you were sleeping on your reviews. As someone who has gone through auditioning Ultimates and tubes, I only know too well that you need time. So please take all the time you need.

In parting, I can say now that the initial birthing issues of Ultimate has gone away and Eric gets better and better with each new Ultimate. He is using loctite screws and washers in all Ultimates now and going forward. I will be stepping away from testing after @Zachik , @mordy and @David A Silva Ultimates. There is no need for me to hand hold it any longer except to have that occasional coffee with Eric. Strange that you get to know a person well after a while. :)

Enjoy.

Jul 21, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #4,275 of 9,894
Hi @Deleeh thanks for the post. You're the first owner to come back and described your unboxing experience in detail.

My question is rhetorical. Meaning it is asked to make a point rather than to get an answer. :) Just like Shakespeare in Merchant of Venice say 'If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you posion us do we not die? :)

Looking back, most of Ultimates were delivered to customers in more than satisfactory condition. @Nick Ryan 's Ultimate is perfect in built and of course was delivered well because I personally delivered it. That's a 2 hours drive. My own Ultimate is also well built and well delivered because I pick it up personally. :) There were 2 amps that has issues and the delivery to Melbourne really surprised me with the issues there. In all of these issues, I was part of the conversation between the client and Eric. It's fair to say that Eric more than resolved those issues. The compensation was far more than the faults. Eric is one builder I will trust 110% because his support is 110%.

Your Ultimate is perfect as far as I am concerned. There was a hum issue that I detected during testing but that was resolved quickly and permanently. I kept you aware of this and Eric of course. Physically your Ultimate is very well built. No blemish or scratch. I don't use the word perfect often but yours came close to it. Even I am satisfied.

Bryant's Ultimate is probably the best Ultimate I've tested. Visual and audio quality were spot on first time. I did not pick up a single issue. The only thing added after the built was the preamp and that's because Bryant heard me asking for the preamp out function on my Ultimate. Eric accomodate that change even when the built was completed. You can see Eric go the extra mile to make his customers happy.

Again I was joking where I mentioned that you were sleeping on your reviews. As someone who has gone through auditioning Ultimates and tubes, I only know too well that you need time. So please take all the time you need.

In parting, I can say now that the initial birthing issues of Ultimate has gone away and Eric gets better and better with each new Ultimate. He is using loctite screws and washers in all Ultimates now and going forward. I will be stepping away from testing after @Zachik , @mordy and @David A Silva Ultimates. There is no need for me to hand hold it any longer except to have that occasional coffee with Eric. Strange that you get to know a person well after a while. :)

Enjoy.
Best way to get to know a person well is to share a common interest!👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back