Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 10, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #3,886 of 9,894
This morning listening session is with Super Ultimate - Hytron 7A4 and Tung Sol 6550 with Tesla EZ81. I am no longer powering up the Junior Ultimate - it will be boxed up in the morning for the courier to pick it up.

The Super Ultimate as described above with the various tubes is a joy to listen with. If you want rich sound with euphonic mids, this is it. HD800 becomes a different headphone with this amp. The best I've heard for vocals.

No more pictures. I have taken enough. :)

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #3,887 of 9,894
My Ultimate is finally being processed at customs today, the excitement is mounting friends.
I hope I don't get any bad news in the tracking.
Today is hopefully a good day for it to be Monday,😁

Of all the Ultimates built and delivered, this is the one I am watching out for. I have audition it for a week, took countless pictures of it. It is the first Ultimate with dual caps. A great sounding tube amp that also look like Micheangelo's creation.

I hope you get it in one piece and the dolphin delivery did a good job. I hope customs officials don't remove every screws and do a drop test. :dt880smile: :ksc75smile:

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #3,888 of 9,894
Of all the Ultimates built and delivered, this is the one I am watching out for. I have audition it for a week, took countless pictures of it. It is the first Ultimate with dual caps. A great sounding tube amp that also look like Micheangelo's creation.

I hope you get it in one piece and the dolphin delivery did a good job. I hope customs officials don't remove every screws and do a drop test. :dt880smile: :ksc75smile:
… or replace the tubes with light azure print Philips ECGs … 😳

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #3,890 of 9,894
Also won this Auction today.

Apparently Mullard Australia never made el84s. The mullard are from Blackburn plant, but stamped made in Australia.

If so I got myself a bargain😀

A NOS pair of EL84 would be something to reckon with. If I didn't have so many tubes, I would have gotten a pair. I wonder if Woo Audio makes EL84 to 6V6 adapters. It would be worth it. EL84 as power tubes in Ultimate is just so good. Drop in any driver, a 12at7 or a 12ax7 and enjoy or your ECC35. :)

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #3,891 of 9,894
Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base on top with Super Ultimate and Reflector 6P14P at the bottom with Mini Ultimate. There's no doubt which I like better. Once you''ve sampled NOS EL34 metal, 6550, KT66, KT88, it's hard to go back to 6*6 tubes. The bigger power tubes just have so much more bass weight, euphonic mids and luscious tone. This is where you fall in love with tube amp sound. You've tasted the best and there's no going back. I'm going to run through all my good power tubes through this Golden Ultimate. I've a preference for the Mundorf caps over the Russian caps. The high end extension is just incredibly sweet and has that chim.

What is chim?
To achieve CHIM means to realize you do not exist as an individual, but manage to keep your individuality. Think of it as 1(I exist) + -1(I'm not real). :dt880smile:

IMG_6787.jpg

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #3,892 of 9,894
@rollinbr is so lucky. This Super Gold Ultimate is so well made. I can't detect a flaw. No scratches or extra holes. It's incredible. I would want this Ultimate for myself. :)

I've seen the insides. It's so well made and perfect soldering. Everything is tight. This and Nick's Ultimate seems to get it right first time. How lucky they are. Now I hope it travel across the Atlantic safely to USA.

Btw I am using a step down transformer as this is 110v.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #3,894 of 9,894
Osrams-l1600 (3).jpg
Snagged these this morning 3am
Good price since one has a broken guide pin
10% match on all sections around 75% new
Looks like my McChanson will be singing those mellow GEC tones for a while longer

This reminds me of the pair of brand new GEC 6AS7G curve brown base with GEC original boxes that I bought from @rosgr63 a few years ago. I sold it off to @paramesh for AUD$500.

Congrats and enjoy your GEC 6AS7G.

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #3,895 of 9,894
For that I have to ask my friend @xtiva who is a strictly classical fan. He listens to no other genre. :)
lol do listen to other genre sometimes :)

btw this thread has become so active can't keep up any more :frowning2:

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #3,897 of 9,894
Hello,

has anyone actually had positive experiences with Iec switches from Furutech and what else is available?
I've never tried a Furutech switch, but everything else I've bought (outlets, plugs, RCA's, spade lugs, etc) has been impeccable. I can't imagine any switches they make would be anything less. Very expensive, but unquestionable quality.

Jul 10, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #3,898 of 9,894
Yeah unfortunately it will be shut down soon and I am going fishing for good.
You don't fish anyway.
You'd rather fish out old amps and take them to Eric to get them fixed.

The bait is probably the tube on the rod,😂😂😂😂😂😂.

That's all the sercet sauce from Mc Chanson.🤗🤗🤗🤗

@bcowen
Thank you for the input, I'll keep it that way.😉

Jul 10, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #3,899 of 9,894
Jul 10, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #3,900 of 9,894
We will have to rename you Now and Then!😂

It'sNowOrThen sounds good. :) Eric sends me a picture of the coupling caps to be used in my Blackie Ultimate. Note the 0.68 uf Mundorf. :beerchug:

When I saw this, I ain't going fishing or golfing anymore.... :golf:

DSCN2142.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back