Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #9,826 of 9,892

If you know anybody with a laser engraver, this would look very good with a reverse-etched acrylic plate. Basically, you paint one-side of some clear acrylic, then flip the artwork and etch it backwards. Then you flip it around and install it. This adds visual depth and protects the paint from getting scraped away as it's mounted behind. Here's an example on a guitar pedal I built a while back:

QvwHTpU.jpg

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #9,827 of 9,892
I ordered 2 pairs each and adapters 2 weeks ago and am looking forward to them.

Products
------------------------------------------------------
4 x 6S4P-DR / EC86 / PC86 tube = $14.00
4 x 6S3P-EV / WE417 / EC86 tube = $12.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $26.00
Shipping & Handling: $12.00
Total: $38.00

EC86 has an amplification factor of 62. 6S4P and 6S3P have an amplification factor of 50 + or - 15.

They would sound more lively as compared to 6J5 (mu of 20).

Their gain is higher than c3g (mu of 40).

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #9,828 of 9,892
Mundorf - EZ81 - 6S3P - EL39 🎶🎵👂 🤩

Sounds balanced-warm and spacious, possibly my favorite combination, maybe someone would like to recreate it...

6S3P and EL39 is a wonderful combination. Eric knows his tubes. He gave me a pair of 6S3P and EC86 and ask me to buy the adapters. That's how this came about on this thread. They are his favourite drivers for small amps. For his big speaker amps, his favourite driver is 6EM7.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #9,830 of 9,892
Hello,
am still on EL34 SED,russian 6SL7 and Ez80 Haltron.
This time with the Mundorf.

With the Vcap there was definitely more definition,a bit better 3D image,more roll out in the bass,generally a bit clearer and rounder.Warm but neutral enough tonally.Nice low end mostly and also well detailed,with very good decay.

So roughly with the Mundorf there is an edge less of it but still good, maybe a tad warmer than the Vcap.
In general it doesn't do anything wrong as it usually does and sounds a bit more musical in general.
The staging of the Mundorf is always amazing how everything flows into each other, that's what I like about the cap.
The EL34 SED is also worthwhile here.

Roughly speaking, the EL34 and 6SL7 have just under 20 hours on them, so there's room for improvement.
But honestly I don't recognise anything here, except for the 6SL7 reflector where it took maybe 5-10 hours to open the first step, the package sounds amazingly good after just under 20 hours that you could live with it.

Both caps in the combination have advantages and disadvantages, one can bring out the best here and there and vice versa
My heart lies with both, but in the end my preference is usually Vcap.
Mentally, I can always switch off completely in my head with this cap.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #9,831 of 9,892
Yes Vcap is great on Bryant's Supreme and that is not even burn in. It has a very clean open sound and just let the tubes do their job... and your headphone. It's hard to describe it until you've heard it.

Meanwhile my GEC 807 is in Australia since last night. :relaxed: So probably today or tomorrow.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #9,832 of 9,892
Yes Vcap is great on Bryant's Supreme and that is not even burn in. It has a very clean open sound and just let the tubes do their job... and your headphone. It's hard to describe it until you've heard it.

Meanwhile my GEC 807 is in Australia since last night. :relaxed: So probably today or tomorrow.
My 807 says still processing, they haven’t responded to a single email (sent 4 now) . I will file a complaint against them with PayPal today. I will never buy from them again!!

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #9,833 of 9,892
My 807 says still processing, they haven’t responded to a single email (sent 4 now) . I will file a complaint against them with PayPal today. I will never buy from them again!!

My email to them bounds, goes to their spam folder I think. They get zero points on communication from me. I only know my tubes were sent after PayPal notify me and Fedex also notify me and gave me a tracking number.

If they weren't the only one that seems to have the GEC 807 ATS25, I would not buy from them too. However in the quest for all things bright and beautiful, I will swim through the swamp. :relaxed:

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #9,834 of 9,892
lol , very true 😝 , I really want that GEC 807

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #9,836 of 9,892

If it makes you feel better, my order still says 'processing'. :beyersmile: However PayPal and Fedex will notify you, otherwise it's not sent.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #9,838 of 9,892
What seller is this?
On eBay they are known as totempole or electronicsmen from India, their website is nosaudiotubes.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back