Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jan 29, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #8,566 of 9,894
I have found some information from BRENT JESSEE RECORDING & SUPPLY, INC.

6V6GT Raytheon or Tung Sol Nickel metal collar base, Blackglass, RARE 1940s vintage MATCHED PAIR​
New old stock whitebox. Very scarce tube, with the bright nickel collar around the base. Rich and creamy sounding, and nearly impossible to find in matched pairs, especially the blackglass version. Some have OEM labels, but are Tung Sol and Raytheon made.​
Hey,
You've got yourself a very rare and obviously good pair.
All that remains is to hope that it works well and, if so, to cherish it.
These are pairs or tubes alone that fall below the 10% mark where the price is still very good and everything is right.
That's the good thing about Ultimate, you can find them very often.
Last year I got such bargains more than once and it paid off every time.
Half of my collection has now been acquired with rare to hard-to-find tubes that also sound breathtakingly good on Ultimate.
And depending on the pairing, they do 100% if you take certain things into account on Ultimate.
The halfway point with Ultimate is when you know the Mu amplification factor of the tubes and match them to the headphones.
Then it's always a feast for the ears and a 100% match.
Although many have the Super Ultimate and a small number have the Mini Ultimate, I am still very, very happy with my Junior Ultimate in the wooden version.
Even though the Mini/Junior Ultimate is slightly limited compared to the Super Ultimate in terms of driver tubes, they both do a great job.
But by no means a disadvantage, I get along very well with the 12xx7/6SN7/6SL7 driver family to bring the output tubes to their limit.
Once you understand that, every tube on Ultimate is a match, the rest is and remains a matter of taste.

@Nick Ryan & @UntilThen
I actually only like the Ipad,I don't really need the rest.
Even though the operating system is not bad, I don't like the Apple philosophy.
And don't like to support Apple in that respect.
I don't like the mainstream around Apple either and it hasn't been very innovative for me in recent years.
They haven't even considered a Dap or a continuation of the iPod, which I thought was a shame.
Everyone streams their music with a Dac-less smartphone, that can't be good.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #8,567 of 9,894
Heath (Mullard) EZ81, GEC L63, Bendix 2C51A-396A, Ken-Rad 6Y6G in UltimatE:

Heath (Mullard) EZ81, GEC L63, Bendix 2C51A-396A, Ken-Rad 6Y6G i UltimatE (1-28-24).jpg

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #8,571 of 9,894
What I don't know now is a military 6v6.
Could be an Rca from the logo.
In general, 6v6 tubes can be used as an output tube.
But not as a driver tube.
This is a quote from DIY forums for metal 6v6 tube and i just wonder.

"Almost all metal tubes tie pin 1 to the metal shell. Pin 1 on the socket should be grounded to prevent a negative charge buildup on the metal shell. When stuffing metal tubes into amps made for glass tubes make sure that pin 1 is not used as a tie point for some high voltage connection. I had to learn this the hard way back in the 1960's with a Stromberg Carlson PA amp and some metal 6L6's".

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #8,572 of 9,894
This is a quote from DIY forums for metal 6v6 tube and i just wonder.

"Almost all metal tubes tie pin 1 to the metal shell. Pin 1 on the socket should be grounded to prevent a negative charge buildup on the metal shell. When stuffing metal tubes into amps made for glass tubes make sure that pin 1 is not used as a tie point for some high voltage connection. I had to learn this the hard way back in the 1960's with a Stromberg Carlson PA amp and some metal 6L6's".
Then I would ask Eric this.
If he sees problems with it, I would avoid this type of tube to be on the safe side.
Presumably this type of construction has been chosen to protect the electrics in vehicles and other things.
With the 6L6 tubes there should be no problems with the metal version because of the polarity of pin 1.
To be sure, the datasheet from Rca should be recognisable as far as 6L6 Metal is concerned.
I could be wrong.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #8,573 of 9,894
What I don't know now is a military 6v6.
Could be an Rca from the logo.
In general, 6v6 tubes can be used as an output tube.
But not as a driver tube.
6V6 can be used as drivers with proper adapters.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #8,574 of 9,894
I have metal Phillips 6L6 a Ken Rad 6L6 & Ken Rad 6N7 all in metal tube and all safely worked n Ultimate the 6N7 being the driver tube whilst the 6L6 are output tubes. I don’t have any 6V6.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #8,575 of 9,894
I would be careful with 6v6 as a driver pipe, especially those who do not have the Super version.
I think you need the 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter with further adapters from 6v6 to 6j5 as firstly it only has one socket position on the non-super version.
And because otherwise you can't start the triode.
Eric told me once when I asked for adapters from my Euforia.
He asked me to measure my adapters and I haven't got round to it yet.

I don't know exactly how it is with the Super Ultimate, I think Matt and Lory have a mod to use 6v6 directly on the 6J5 socket.
Others need the adapter for that, so I didn't want to go into detail.
I also think that Vanhai ordered the mini version.
So it's wiser to ask Eric again especially with this special 6v6 version and also for his sake it's better to start small with Ultimate.
I would take it a bit slow at the beginning and not buy what Ultimate is primarily intended and designed for.
Because you can quickly lose the overview.
Output tubes are okay, but for the driver tubes I would stick to the 12xx7/6SN7/6sL7 family for now.
For other driver tubes I would suggest the list from Zachi and if necessary ask here if that is okay before you buy.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #8,576 of 9,894
Here is the craziest looking loctal tube I have ever seen - this is a 7F7 and no, that is not two adapters stacked on top of each other, about half the tube (glass envelope extends all the way down, making the glass a little over 1/2" taller than my tall bottle "Frankie" 7N7 tubes) seems to be covered in some sort sleeve. These are likely GE made with the sandblasted dots and the internals, however, instead of 'GE' being sandblasted on the glass it says 'GT'.

1706558656875.png

1706558668175.png

1706558679447.png

1706558690912.png

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #8,577 of 9,894
I would be careful with 6v6 as a driver pipe, especially those who do not have the Super version.
I think you need the 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter with further adapters from 6v6 to 6j5 as firstly it only has one socket position on the non-super version.

I don't know exactly how it is with the Super Ultimate, I think Matt and Lory have a mod to use 6v6 directly on the 6J5 socket.
So it's wiser to ask Eric again especially with this special 6v6 version and also for his sake it's better to start small with Ultimate.
I would take it a bit slow at the beginning and not buy what Ultimate is primarily intended and designed for.
Output tubes are okay, but for the driver tubes I would stick to the 12xx7/6SN7/6sL7 family for now.
For other driver tubes I would suggest the list from Zachi and if necessary ask here if that is okay before you buy.
I ordered the Super UltimatE and have a pair of metal 6v6, just want to make sure that i can use them or not. Did not see it on Zachi list, but i will check with Eric when i receive the amp.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #8,578 of 9,894

6V6 to 6J5 adapters work very well in Super UltimatE.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #8,579 of 9,894
I ordered the Super UltimatE and have a pair of metal 6v6, just want to make sure that i can use them or not. Did not see it on Zachi list, but i will check with Eric when i receive the amp.
Ah okay.
Here's some well-intentioned advice from me.
As Ultimate is also extensive.
For driver tubes, stick to what is common and no adapters are needed.
The only adapter you should use is the 12xx7 to 6sn7, because you can use 12au/ax/At7.
With this and 6SN7/6SL7 and additional 6J5 you are well set up for now.
I would ignore everything on the list that works as a driver tube with adapters for the first few months until Ultimate is installed and you are familiar with it.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #8,580 of 9,894
I would ignore everything on the list that works as a driver tube with adapters for the first few months until Ultimate is installed and you are familiar with it.
This is not a bad suggestion but if you already have both tubes and adapters it can be difficult to follow. :wink: But you don't need to buy a lot of tubes in advance if you don't have them already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back